Does anyone use "dollar' vans or other gypsy type taxi and low cost van services?

Shortline Bus

A very simple question for many of you. This applies to the outerboroughs mainly Uptown Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn. Does anyone use "dollar' vans or other gypsy type taxi and low cost van services on regular basis?

Or has in the recent past?

I used to live in Sea Gate Brooklyn aka the western end of Coney Island. Until recently, there was a regular set of 'dollar vans' usually run by Carribean and African immgrants. They been around for at least 20 years going back to the pre metrocard days and the old '2-fare zones.'

Although most of the 'dollar vans' would generally charge a fare of $1.00 up until around 2001-02 anywhere with CI, to the Sea Gate Enterence, some of the drivers did not have a Taxi license and thus no proper insurance.

The other negative is that you must 'share' the ride with other passengers.

I left Coney Island in 2003.

Yet they would do great business. The B74 on weekends(even now)had 15-20 minute headways. Plus during overnights when the B36 runs every hour between 1-5am, this is another time they would do 'good business.'

That my experiences with dollar vans in Coney Island. Now in 2009, the fare within Coney Island on these vans is $1.50.

Besides CI, other places where these vans are 'regulars' include Utica Ave(mainly between the Eastern Pwy/Utica (3)(4) station and Kings Plaza) & Flatbush(mainly between KP and Atlantic/4th Ave)in Brooklyn, Brewer Blvd and Merrick Blvd in SE Queens(from Jamaica Center-Green Acres Mall)and Fordham and 3rd Aves. in the Bronx.

Should these 'discount vans' and taxis exist? Or should they be banned? Supporters of these vans and taxis say they provide a 'service' especially in the outerboroughs where even busy bus lines like the B46, B41, Q111/113 and Q5 are often delayed due to traffic.

Also, supporters of these vans suggest they could provide 'bus' service on lower used lines such as the B2, B37, M8, BX34, which are all on the 'chopping block' for serve cuts saving the MTA money.

Feel free to tell you stories of riding these 'discount vans' and gypsy taxis? Thanks.:)

T

To be honest I don't like either one of them. The dollar van make me feel like I'm on a Orion VII OG crampped and annoying. People just want to sit anywhere where they feel like it, though sometimes its a lil empty in the beginning. It will still be packed and one person can fit, but the srive still want to pick up that particular person. I take the dollar van once in a blue moon!

To be honest I don't like either one of them. The dollar van make me feel like I'm on a Orion VII OG crampped and annoying. People just want to sit anywhere where they feel like it, though sometimes its a lil empty in the beginning. It will still be packed and one person can fit, but the srive still want to pick up that particular person. I take the dollar van once in a blue moon!

Curake you live in Jamaica, Queens right? If so which van service you use once in 'blue moon?" If you were the MTA boss or NYC Taxi chief would you 'ban' them?

Curake you live in Jamaica, Queens right? If so which van service you use once in 'blue moon?" If you were the MTA boss or NYC Taxi chief would you 'ban' them?

Yes I live in Jamaica, Queens near Guy R. Brewer Blvd...no I won't ban them, they don't really pick up passengers near the bus stops like that

In Chinatown and the Chinese diaspora in the city, the commuter vans are actually a necessity. The people have come to rely it since they offer a one-seat ride with little to no frills. Of course, the ride is rather cheap, and sometimes there is a complimentary newspaper.

My feel is that the Chinese commuter van industry should be more strictly regulated. The driving habits of these drivers are rather "kamikaze" as they aim for speed and they put these stools in the vans to hold more passengers. I once sat between the driver and the co pilot in this precarious stool. And it wasn't fun.

Another thing is, that they should be taxed. These vehicles use the bridges a dozen times a day. They charge passengers for little cost and yet they keep all the dough to themselves. They should give some of the profit to the city.

I guess they are a necessity, but would rather see them banned, or their vans impounded, when they get too many tickets, and to get their vans back, they should have to take a DMV class, and another DMV road test, due to their fast and absolutely reckless driving. I'm talking about those maniacs on Flatbush Ave. They have no respect for anyone, and I don't show them any when I'm on that road with my Expedition. It ain't that much smaller than those vans.....

(Scratching chin), Since my tank ain't that much smaller, I could make a few bucks going down Flatbush on my way to pick my P.I.T.A. up. Could have more spending money then.......

I guess they are a necessity, but would rather see them banned, or their vans impounded, when they get too many tickets, and to get their vans back, they should have to take a DMV class, and another DMV road test, due to their fast and absolutely reckless driving. I'm talking about those maniacs on Flatbush Ave. They have no respect for anyone, and I don't show them any when I'm on that road with my Expedition. It ain't that much smaller than those vans.....

(Scratching chin), Since my tank ain't that much smaller, I could make a few bucks going down Flatbush on my way to pick my P.I.T.A. up. Could have more spending money then.......

There are few drivers who are courteous and easy going. However the others tarnish the image for their benign counterparts.

There used to be this guy, about six years ago, who would drive a station wagon and would charge people $1.00 to get to Pelham Bay in place of the QBx1. It was the shadiest operation...the bumpers were falling off and people would sit in the trunk.

Never took a trip on a maniacs dollar crash van.....I see these jerks driving all the time on main street late at night.....they just cut the bus off, park in the bus stop and drop off thier.....XXX XXXXXXX....and zoom to the next place to stop and almost cause another accident....these guys and yellow cabs....and gypsy cabs.......ooo how I wish I could just take my bus and ......I will let you people finish that line..... and I think the people that take these van's for a ride do not get to the amusement park much and take it for the thrill of almost crashing..... :)

Not the kid.....I like my car......and I know not everybody has a car......MTA!!!

and on the XXX u fill in the XXXX's :eek:

What drives me crazy sometimes is when they beep their horns to let the person know that they have arrived to pick them up on the corner. I live in a mainly asian neighborhood in Queens.

The driver can see the person waiting at the corner,yet they have to blow the horn 4 or 5 times. Of course they make their illegal u turns,cut off other traffic.

$1,000 a day? Are you kidding me? Maybe a $1,000 week and that is putting in 7 long days. Sure these people work off the books,but you can bet they spend a lot of money on gas,maintenance,auto insurance for their vans.

Archived