Ridership is up dramtically on (F) 63rd St line

Shortline Bus

Here a story that may shock Forest Glen who'hates' the (V) line. According to today's Daily News article ridership on the 63rd tunnel line which until a few years ago was called 'the tunnel to nowwhere' has picked up dramtic increases in ridership. Thus the 63rd St tunnel is th fastes growing coordior in the NYC subway system.

Here the story.

F train subway stop at Lexington Ave. and 63rd St sees 777% growth in riders in last decade

BY Pete Donohue

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, March 10th 2009

Business is booming at the (F) train subway stop at Lexington Ave. and 63rd St.

The average number of weekday riders there soared to 13,500 from about 1,500 over the decade ending last year - a 777% surge unrivaled anywhere in the city, according to a study released Monday by the Center for an Urban Future. That non-profit transit related agency also stated the 63rd St coordior as the fastest growing subway line in terms of gaining new riders systemwide over past 5 years.

"It's usually pretty crowded," said straphanger Jermaine Hyman, 32, a meeting planner from Queens, as he waited at the station.

The dramatic surge was partly the result of redrawing the subway map in 2001 that included shifting a portion of the (F) line 10 blocks north on Manhattan's East Side. Prior to that, (F) trains stopped at 53rd St. and Lexington Ave. That shift became controversial as some riders along few stations in the Jamaica area on the (F) line complained about losing a direct transfer to the Lexington Ave (6) line at the 53rd Street-Lexington station.

The shift, coupled with the (V) train's debut, was a bid to alleviate some overcrowding on trains packed with Queens commuters working in Manhattan.

Overall, subway and bus ridership last year hit the highest mark since the mid-1950s.

But the largest bus-subway ridership gains were not in the heart of the city, but above 96th St. in Manhattan or in the other boroughs, according to the study.

Brooklyn boomed more than any other borough. Of the 50 stations with the biggest percentage ridership increases, nearly half are located there, including 13 on the L line.

Despite the ridership boom on 63rd Street, still no word on a rumored state bailout of the MTA. The report comes as state lawmakers are grappling with a revenue plan that would avert major bus and subway service cuts by tolling free East and Harlem river bridges.

c)2009 NY Daily News.

Any reactions?

Thank you very much for posting this article.....I'm so glad it took New York Daily News to write an article to say the (F) via 63rd Street is useful there. Yeah passengers lost a connection to the Lexington Avenue Local (6), but they'll get over it. Yeah it crowded during rush hours, but its serving its purpose. For those who dislike the (V), pls re-read this article few more times to calearly understand 63rd Street corridor has ridership!

Thank you very much for posting this article.....I'm so glad it took New York Daily New to write an article to say the (F) via 63rd Street is useful there. Yeah passegners lost a connection to the Lexington Avenue Local (6), but they'll get over it. Yeah it crowded during rush hours, but its serving its purpose. For those who dislike the (V), pls re-read this article few more times to calearly understand 63rd Street coordior has ridership!

no problem.

Maybe they should temporarily extend the Q train to Lexington Avenue instead of Astoria to increase even more riders. I'm sure that trains can turn easily at Lexington Avenue.

Ah no...why b/c its not a real terminal and what about Roosevelt Island and 21st-Queensbridge customers......anyway the (F) is going a good job....no need for the (Q)!

Ah no...why b/c its not a real terminal and what about Roosevelt Island and 21st-Queensbridge customers......anyway the (F) is going a good job....no need for the (Q)!

I do agree that the (F) is doing a great job on 63rd St, but if the (Q) can be extended to Lexington Av-63rd with a lay-up track past the station to allow it to turn back around (that would have to be built), I don't see why not? It definitely shouldn't be a high priority (because that lay-up track I just described doesn't exist right now), but if it's feasible (and only if it is), then I say do it. Oh, and 777%? That's what I call some lucky exponential growth!

It can turn back around without a layup track being installed. Instlaling would 1. never happen. 2. because it's pointless since it's a dual level station.

The main reason for it not going there now I think is because a bi-level terminal just wouldn't be very ideal, or work very well. Secondly the crossover switch is way back just north of 57th St.

Soon enough they will be continung the tunnel to 2nd Ave and 72nd St. AFAIK there wasn't much built heading to 2nd Ave from those tracks. All I know of are the bellmouths that you can see from the F tracks east of the station. Those head downtown for possible future 2nd Ave-Queens Blvd/Queens Blvd-2nd Ave service.

Maybe they should temporarily extend the Q train to Lexington Avenue instead of Astoria to increase even more riders. I'm sure that trains can turn easily at Lexington Avenue.

Considering that is a two level station, turning trains there in passenger service would be anything but easy.

The plan is that when Phase I of SAS is complete, the Q will go through that station on its way over to second avenue and its northern Terminal at 96/2nd. That wouldn't involve using 63/Lex as a terminal, or a costly and time consuming project to allow it to be used as one.

In this same article apparently Bowery on the (J)(M)(Z) is also up 553% yet I've never seen that station crowded in the morning or afternoon. I think it's mainly because the station was NEVER used and now the few people that do make it look like a huge increase in ridership. Same with Lex/63rd, think about it....a decade ago it was served by the (Q6) and terminated at Queensbridge/21st Street since the 63rd St connection hadn't opened up yet. There aren't enough riders coming from Queensbridge or Roosevelt Island but since late 2001 now that there are riders on the (F) coming from further out in Queens, alot more people get off there than ever have in the past. This article isn't a cry for more service there

I knew (F) ridership was up long before this article. I've had to take it to work for an entire year. 3pm was madness trying to get on one to brooklyn. But I think the line is just fine the way it is. Maybe run less (V)s and a few more (F)s, assuming this line isnt running at full capacity yet.

Sure, I could see it on weekends, much more people on board, :)!

I'm not sure if you notice this but from my experience on the (F) during weekends, it seems they come every 20-25 minutes all day, which is very annoying and could explain crowding.

Archived