Anti-terror class eye-opener for MTA

Trainspotter

Anti-terror class eye-opener for MTA

Q train operator James Gamble is equipped with excerpts of al-Qaida training manuals and a rundown of a terrorist attack in Japan.

The MTA is giving the 20-year-plus veteran and 28,000 more of the agency's front-line employees the lowdown on how terrorists attack so subway and bus employees can help protect the transit system daily.

Full story: AMNY icon_offsite.png - October 11, 2007

Hopefully this will help to prevent even more a real occurrence like Pelham 123. I suppose that subways are a prime target, and that kinda bothers me, but it'd be hard to pull off I bet.

It's not easy to pull off, but then again, think about it: the terrorists only have to be right 1% of the time in order to kill us; we have to be right 100% of the time in order to avert them.

Can you share with us a little on what exactly it was about Dave?
I wouldn't mind knowing myself what the class was exactly about myself.

Indeed, neither would I. However, we can't discredit the the possibility that he's not allowed to tell us for safety reasons.

I do have to be careful about how I put this but as far as I know I'm in no violation posting it but I won't put it on Subchat.

The class is to make all NYCT employees to Think like a terrorist would. We where told how they plan attacks and what things they do and behavior they show. We are shown a video from a captured terrorist where he talks about the targot as he is recording everything in the area. It a bus and commuter rail terminal some where in Europe. They show other video of people role playing as terrorist and how terminal employee's stopped thier plot by being alert and reporting thier unsual behavior. Now its a downside for Railfans because they believe any one taken pictures or Video of trains,Buses,Stations and Employee areas should be reported immediately to Police and let local law enforcement investigate the person. We did tell him NYCT allows picture taken and he disagrees with the policy and said the Dept of Homeland security feels it needs to be reported. So I can see in the future transit will have to change thier policy if they want money from the Feds.

As of now its not illegal to take pictures or video but Police do have the right to investigate to see what yours doing. All I can say is have fun but use some common sence and don't stay in one area too long.

Of course. I mean, really, what threat to security could a 16 y.o. train lover be? I've got a list of things to see in the subway, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be wise to pull out a sheet of paper, check something off and then record some things on my camcorder. I suppose it's all in good spirit though. Heck, if anything I'm helping spot suspicious activity!

All I can say is have fun but use some common sense and don't stay in one area too long.

Oh, what was once called loitering, before 9/11, and now known as "suspicious activity", in these crybaby, they're trying to kill us days. All of this is just to give America and NYC a false sense of security. If you see something, say something etc...I see we are wasting money, and I am saying something. NYC is too diverse, and if someone intends to blow up a sardine packed 4, 5, or 6 train during the rush hour, they will highly succeed.

Am I thinking like a terrorist?

Oh, what was once called loitering, before 9/11, and now known as "suspicious activity", in these crybaby, they're trying to kill us days. All of this is just to give America and NYC a false sense of security. If you see something, say something etc...I see we are wasting money, and I am saying something. NYC is too diverse, and if someone intends to blow up a sardine packed 4, 5, or 6 train during the rush hour, they will highly succeed.

Am I thinking like a terrorist?

You must stop doing that quickly, before they get you. ;)

Archived