"K-rock' format & Opie & Anothny are gone from 92.3 FM. Now i become 'top 40 format'

Shortline Bus

For a year or so, NYC had '3' full time Rock and Roll stations, the most since the 1970's. Now as of 5am tommorow morning it back to only two Rock stations.

92.3 WXRK-FM a CBS Radio affliate has changed it format. As of Tommorow 3/11/09 it will become a 'top 40' aka Competaoary Hits station in direct competation with "Z100' (WHTZ-FM) Here the story from today's paper.

Opie and Anthony get ax from K-Rock

BY Richard Huff

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, March 10th 2009, 12:41 AM

Radio bad boys Opie & Anthony were left without a New York City broadcast home Monday when CBS Radio announced it would dump the current format on 92.3 FM.

"It's officially over," Opie (Gregg Hughes) said in a Twitter feed to followers. "Extremely bummed. This is not good for our show, period!"

It's not, because as of now, loyal followers used to listening for free will have to shell out $12.99 a month to hear them on XM Radio.

Opie and Anthony were pushed out as part of CBS Radio's overhaul of K-Rock, which, starting Tuesday, becomes a Top-40 outlet, playing the likes of Beyoncé and Katy Perry.

Since 2006, through a unique deal, Opie and Anthony were broadcast locally on 92.3 weekday mornings until 9 a.m. and then they walked to XM studios to finish their mornings on the pay-radio service.

Starting today, Opie and Anthony (Cumia) will do their show live for five hours on XM Satellite Radio, a source said.

They could return to free radio down the road.

"They'll have a terrestrial radio future if they want one," said Tom Taylor, executive editor of Radio-Info.com. "However, there may not be an obvious home in New York City."

K-Rock has suffered since Howard Stern left in December 2005. After Stern left, CBS tried a talk show and then went back to rock with Opie and Anthony.

Opie and Anthony were once a hit on CBS-owned WNEW Radio, but were taken off the air in 2002 after an infamous "Sex in St. Patrick's" stunt.

Dom Theodore, vice president of contemporary hit programming at CBS Radio, said the switch gives New York a choice for current hit music "for the first time in nearly 30 years" when WPLJ-FM and then new station "Z100" launched a legendary rivarly for top 40 radio in the early 1980's. By 1992 WPLJ-FM switched to it current "Adult Competaory Rock' format.

c)2009 NY Daily News, Inc.

Any reactions? Again NYC is stuck with lack of variety. The worse thing that ever happened in Amercan Broadcasting was 'de-regulation' in the 1980's/90's

during the Reagan-Bush, Sr. and Clinton Adminstartions.:tdown:

This sucks, KROCK was the only radio station I listen to in the city other then 1010WINS. This is a big mistake, New York radio already sucks enough because of Z100 and what ever format 102.7 is now. I hope they decide against this.

This sucks, KROCK was the only radio station I listen to in the city other then 1010WINS. This is a big mistake, New York radio already sucks enough because of Z100 and what ever format 102.7 is now. I hope they decide against this.

102.7 wasn't that bad back then.....they got rid of their orginial morning and late night host back in like back in 2005-2006 or w/e year it was which sucked b/c they were really really good. I still listen to station, but its not the same when I first listened to it back in 2003. Has for Z100 it used to be the joint back in early to late 1990's...I used to listen to Dr. Judy and her crew with the ppl who would call in with their crazy sex stories. It seriously made me laugh and the music I love until they started to play Ludacris and Joe and that was it for me, it got boring and lame ever since then!

It a done deal my friend. The switch from "Krock' to 'nowfm' the new top40 format starts tommorow 3/11/09. :)

I hear rumors that Ryan Seacrest(host of american idol)nationally syndicated radio show will be heard in afternooons(to be confirmed)

102.7 wasn't that bad back then.....they got rid of their orginial morning and late night host back in like back in 2005-2006 or w/e year it was which sucked b/c they were really really good. I still listen to station, but its not the same when I first listened to it back in 2003. Has for Z100 it used to be the joint back in early to late 1990's...I used to listen to Dr. Judy and her crew with the ppl who would call in with their crazy sex stories. It seriously made me laugh and the music I love until they started to play Ludacris and Joe and that was it for me, it got boring and lame ever since then!

I loved 102.7 back years ago when they had The Radio Chick, Don and Mike, Ron and Fez, and of course Opie and Anthony. The best part was late at night they had LOve Line with Dr. Drew and Adam Carola (from the Man Show). This was years ago, maybe 1999 2000. Ever since they changed from talk to music, thought that station was originaly music, its has sucked. I am really going to miss KROCK, the only rock station left in NYC. 104. what ever does not even compare.

I loved 102.7 back years ago when they had The Radio Chick, Don and Mike, Ron and Fez, and of course Opie and Anthony. The best part was late at night they had LOve Line with Dr. Drew and Adam Carola (from the Man Show). This was years ago, maybe 1999 2000. Ever since they changed from talk to music, thought that station was originaly music, its has sucked.

I wholeheartedly agree. At first I thought O&A were two racist, that needed to be axed. But then I kept listening, and ended up loving that show. Ron and Fez were my number one though. Radio chick (only because of Chuck Nice), i also loved listening to. Don and Mike, I couldn't stand (Rita this and Rita that), and when JV and Elvis came along, I loved their show. Hate to say it, but I liked JV and Elvis show the most. When Craig Carton was on with Blaine Ensley (sports guys), I loved how they would do their show. Funny as hell to me. I listened to Craig when he was a Jersey guy, when i was out in that area, and now catch him with Boomer.

What got me to WNEW was once listening to Ron and Fez, remembering them, searching for that station, then hearing O&A speaking about Giuliani and his divorce with Donna Hanover, with Anthony sounding like the Ghoul, talking about "take me by strands of hair on my beluga head, and pound it between your etc... (have to keep it clean). I'm gonna do you up NYPD style, go rattle some pots you b!+ch, etc...." Oh, how do I miss that WNEW. Now no matter where you go it's the same old music........

I wholeheartedly agree. At first I thought O&A were two racist, that needed to be axed. But then I kept listening, and ended up loving that show. Ron and Fez were my number one though. Radio chick (only because of Chuck Nice), i also loved listening to. Don and Mike, I couldn't stand (Rita this and Rita that), and when JV and Elvis came along, I loved their show. Hate to say it, but I liked JV and Elvis show the most. When Craig Carton was on with Blaine Ensley (sports guys), I loved how they would do their show. Funny as hell to me. I listened to Craig when he was a Jersey guy, when i was out in that area, and now catch him with Boomer.

What got me to WNEW was once listening to Ron and Fez, remembering them, searching for that station, then hearing O&A speaking about Giuliani and his divorce with Donna Hanover, with Anthony sounding like the Ghoul, talking about "take me by strands of hair on my beluga head, and pound it between your etc... (have to keep it clean). I'm gonna do you up NYPD style, go rattle some pots you b!+ch, etc...." Oh, how do I miss that WNEW. Now no matter where you go it's the same old music........

I am surprised that the old WNEW (now 102.7)in 'post rock n roll' days mainly as a talk station between around 1997-2001 actualy had a few fans. The ratings did not reflect it but if those station management had 'stuck it out' it could have been a hit station by now.

As far as replacement for K rock, you got 'q104' or 101.9 wyxp' that both play mainly older 'top 40 rock' from the 1970's and 80's. K-rock was the only current NYC commerical radio station to play 'hard rock' and occaionaly metal rock on regular basis that Q104 hardly if ever played.

If the format change was needed at 92.3fm at least go to something different other than 'top 40' music. Choices such as country, smooth jazz or reggae/world music for instance. Worst part is that rumors are flyin that many of the hours of this new 92.3 fm wont 'feature live d-j's/hosts but synidcated programs like Ryan Seacrest. And 'no local or live' d-j's/hosts either for much of the day possibly.:mad:

Todays March 11, 2009 the day that after nearly 25 years(not counting the 2 years as a 'hot talk free fm' format)KRock 'retires' into NYC radio history. They join Rock station 'WNEW", the oringal 92.3 KTU(disco era) WMCA-am and of course aruagbly the most famous station in US History WABC-AM(prior to 1981 when they became a talk station)fade into that radio mic in the sky.

Thats why I love Sirius, ever since Howard went over I never listen to regular radio anymore, I dont have to deal with commercials on the music stations, no censorship on the language and so many differnt choices of music to listen to 24-7 regular radio is boring, they play the same music over and over and over and over, they cant go into deep cuts or experiment with different choices in songs, everything is scripted. the dj's with there silly comments and contest are all scripted and calls that you here on the air of excited people are all done off air and edited so they can hit their post as the song begins. I have 3 Sirius subscriptions and its the best 26 bucks a month I spend. Thank you. Shout out to Sirius! love ya!

By the way as a semi compromise to the hunderds of fans who called or faxed to 'save krock' somewhat good news i saw tonight on the news. It wont return on the long time commerical dial on 92.3fm. Instead it be heard on the internet and the new "HD" aka digital radio1 with limited or no commericals all the time until further notice.

Meanwhile the new '92.3nowfm' began it run as a new station and to compete with America's #1 top 40 station "z100' is playing 10,000 songs in row with limited commericals until next week.

Archived