Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
metsfan

Amtrak funding increased dramatically

This just in!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090311/...gress_spending

According to this...

"Generous above-inflation increases are spread throughout, including a $2.4 billion, 13 percent increase for the Agriculture Department and a 10 percent increase for the money-losing Amtrak passenger rail system."

It's only "money losing" because it has to prop up an antiquated infrastructure along with being the only entity that maintains the NEC's ROW.

Anyways.......... Looks like my source was right on the money with this (pun intended).

I believe they will get additional funds 2 other times this year, bringing their 2009 total including the funds in the economic stimulus bill (1.3 billion) to ~10 billion dollars. :eek: ! :eek:

This is it folks, amtrak finally receiving enough funds to upgrade the NEC and other routes as well as purchase new passenger cars and locomotives. *fireworks display + parade + jet fly-over + all horns sounding at the same time*.

When you read this, realize this is the turning point that this country has DESPERATELY needed for 30+ years. FINALLY some spending for passenger rail useful enough to make a difference! :tup::tup::tup::)

I gotta admit, i'm a bit emotional rite now.:cry:

- A

So where do I give them my shopping list for the cars?!

Kidding aside new cars are desperately needed as are engines for the NEC, those AEM7's are no spring chickens any more.Maybe the 46a's are not a rumor and will show up?!

Again according to a source within amtrak, they are taking a very serious look at the alp-46a soon to be taken delivery by (NJT) later this year.

According to my source, the engineer on the inaugural borrowed equipment train put in a recommendation.

I would not be shocked to see one in amtrak colors for testing while (NJT) and montreal get theirs. Amtrak would have to wait 3-4 months to get any more of them after the initial order is complete. If (NJT) goes for the option order, amtrak would likely piggyback on that, if (NJT) does not do the option order (unlikely) amtrak would get all of the remaining units produced for the usa.

New passenger cars are likely going to be a more complicated issue. I think brookville & bomb may partner on that. As one of you said before, we need proper railcars, not bloated subway cars.

- A

My source at Amtrak says they are a definitely coming but until I see some proof meaning a press release from wither Bombardier or Amtrak, I'm waiting. I think Amtrak would be wise to buy them and not go off and buy some other crap that is not FRA ready and would have to go through all that junk along with the fact that it might not be as reliable as the 46's seem to be and 46a's should be just as reliable as the 46.

New cars, First they need more viewliners and a new viewliner diner while their at it make a coach and baggage dorm based of it. That way theres one single level fleet, also build some Superliner III's. Bombardier could be very busy, maybe they can contract some out to Brookville to do as well, I don't want Alstom anywhere near this stuff since they did such a great job with the Comet V's for transit...If you did not know the V's have had a few problems.

I highly support the use of ALP's on Amtrak. After the purchase of the ALP's and single-level dining cars, whatever money is left should either be saved or upgrade portions of NYP-WAS with constant tension.

My source at Amtrak says they are a definitely coming but until I see some proof meaning a press release from wither Bombardier or Amtrak, I'm waiting. I think Amtrak would be wise to buy them and not go off and buy some other crap that is not FRA ready and would have to go through all that junk along with the fact that it might not be as reliable as the 46's seem to be and 46a's should be just as reliable as the 46.

New cars, First they need more viewliners and a new viewliner diner while their at it make a coach and baggage dorm based of it. That way theres one single level fleet, also build some Superliner III's. Bombardier could be very busy, maybe they can contract some out to Brookville to do as well, I don't want Alstom anywhere near this stuff since they did such a great job with the Comet V's for transit...If you did not know the V's have had a few problems.

Yea i experienced the door control problems. Agree unified car design moddable.

I highly support the use of ALP's on Amtrak. After the purchase of the ALP's and single-level dining cars, whatever money is left should either be saved or upgrade portions of NYP-WAS with constant tension.

Track works will proceed on the last wooden sections. New diners a must.

- A

Track works will proceed on the last wooden sections.

What wooden-tied sections are there on the NEC other than MN territory?

The ALP-46s for Amtrak should be geared for 135mph like the HHP-8 for possible future upgrades to 135mph along the Northeast Corridor.

To bad FRA rules don't allow for trains with standard couplers to operate over 125, any faster and you need coupling like the Acela Express sets have, yes you can run a train at 135 and it had been done but its frowned upon.

Freight trains make this country work. Passenger trains are seen by many outside the advocate circle as an extra luxury.

- A

Freight trains make this country work. Passenger trains are seen by many outside the advocate circle as an extra luxury.

- A

That pretty much sums things up. The only place where Passenger trains seem to out number freight trains is here in the North East and even here its only a small area.

I'd like to see how the economy functioned if all passenger rail was shut down for a month. :cool:

- A

I'd like to see how the economy functioned if all passenger rail was shut down for a month. :cool:

- A

AHAHAHA The North East and California would be paralzyed, the rest of the Nation would be fine. To bad all the money is in those places.

I know some people.... and... they told me that certain specific issues resulting in say, amtrak strike, may result in conrail shared asset trackage to be shut down in support of the pax rail. Something to do with the unions. To be honest, i'd love to see the government do something so monumentally stupid just to sit back & watch it hit the fan. For like a week.

Also, i'll ask again when i get the chance, but i've learned that rail workers unions are very "political" in how they do things. If amtrak did strike, it's possible for brakemen, engineer etc, the folks who make the trains move on the rails, not the repair shop or MOW workers etc could walk out and leave billions of dollars of stuff just sitting there, including reefers that only stay cold for so long...

To be real honest, amtrak workers have more than a full plate, they need more people, better pay & better benefits, and not just because other non-related rail workers support them, it's just the right thing to do. Amtrak is the only thing keeping us from slipping back 200 years before passenger rail. We should all treat them with gratitude & respect. Without passenger rail, this nation gets ~800k more cars on the road per year, and don't even get me started on airport waiting times.

- A

China is actually 100x better than the USA and Europe in terms of long distance travel. If you ever rode on the 25z cars or soft sleepers, their comfort is just amazing. Unlike the European sleepers, the beds do not need to be folded and the mattresses are very soft. I rode on an overnight soft sleeper train from Beking to Xi'an hauled by an SS9G and the service was quite, cheap, and comfortable. An experience never to forget.

China is actually 100x better than the USA and Europe in terms of long distance travel. If you ever rode on the 25z cars or soft sleepers, their comfort is just amazing. Unlike the European sleepers, the beds do not need to be folded and the mattresses are very soft. I rode on an overnight soft sleeper train from Beking to Xi'an hauled by an SS9G and the service was quite, cheap, and comfortable. An experience never to forget.

I think you're missing one important thing. Sleepers are not _that_ popular in Europe. I've been on a sleeper and it wasn't bad... but not great... but Beijing to Xian is 1,100km and London to Paris then Paris to Marseille is a bit more. But, you'd do two legs of high speed travel in much less time than a sleeper. And in Europe people would take the HSR trips or just fly. Personally, I am not so worried about sleepers... although maybe when I think about Chicago to Los Angeles which if it is ever HSR... will probably be after I'm dead... but I'm thinking about rail lines where you can go somewhere and back in a day... and as of now that's between Paris and pretty much any major city in France.

The U.S. is going to need to invest in sleepers if it will get people to take really long haul rides as more than just a novelty (I want to do it... but it's hard to justify when a one way ticket is more expensive than a two way flight.

Have you ever rode on the Elipsos Trenhotel from Paris to Barcelona? I was literally thinking that I would not survive through the night. Strongly not recommended for claustrophobes. The Talgo sleepers have folded beds with almost no leg room and when running at 125mph, the Talgo trainset had the worse suspension of any train cars. My first impression on Talgo trains was extremely high due to their success in the high speed industry. But after that painful night, I was very disappointed.

That's good news but it's not enough. IMO infrastructure refurb is going to drink that money right up. I can think of 2 bridges that need replacement and new wire that needs to be strung, just as a couple of examples. Still I'm not griping; its way better than before and a big step in the right direction.