• (N) Astoria/Broadway/Sea Beach Line
    • (Q) Astoria/Broadway/Brighton Line
    • (R) 60 St/Broadway/4 Avenue Line
    • (S) Franklin Avenue Shuttle
    • (W) Astoria/Broadway Line
    • (B) Brighton Line
    • (D) 4 Avenue/West End Line
    • (M) Chrystie St/Williamsburg Bridge/Myrtle Av Line

I like the (J) train. I like how the (J) train is elevated 3/4's of it's route.

My favorite line is the one that has the most curious. To me, that's the (J) line.

The line has so much to offer the railfan and subway history buff alike.

1) Traveling the line is like riding a time machine. You start out in the 1980's (the Archer Avenue line), are then transported to the Dual Contracts era (from 121st Street to Cypress Hills), and then are taken further back to the original BRT era before returning to the Dual Contracts era in lower Manhattan. Fascinating stuff.

2) The line gives you good views of the abandoned Richmond Hill LIRR station on the lower Montauk line and the area of the LIRR Brooklyn Manor station on the abandoned Rockaway line.

3) The sharp curves between Cypress Hills and Crescent Street are very cool to ride. You can also see the steelwork of the original BRT trackage that ended at the previous Cypress Hills station. The current station was built during the Dual Contracts era.

4) The never-used trackway that soars above the Alabama Avenue station is also fascinating. Every time I see it, I wonder who built it and why, and why it wasn't completed.

5) Just west of the Crescent Street station, you can see the steelwork of the famous Chestnut Street BRT-LIRR connection that once allowed LIRR and BRT cars to travel on each other's lines. Its amazing to think that 100 years ago, the LIRR provided easy, direct service to lower Manhattan via the BRT route, but today, in the "modern" era, such service can't be provided.

6) The express run between Myrtle Ave and Marcy Avenue is always fun.

7) Just west of the Marcy Avenue station, you can still see the stub of the steelwork for the line that continued to Broadway Ferry, before the Williamsburg Bridge was opened in 1908.

8) The trip over the Williamsburg Bridge is always interesting, although not as much as it was before the 1995 accident that introduced speed restrictions on the Bridge.

9) Once on the Manhattan side, the train enters the Nassau Strete BMT line, which by itself contains many curios. First is the Essex Street station, which is loaded with history. Prior to the Dual Contracts, this station was a three track terminal called Delancey Street, but I have yet to see any photos of the station with that name. You can also clearly see the famous abandoned trolley terminal, with trolley tracks still in the floor. I can just imagine how busy the station must have been once, especially when the Lower East Side was as crowded as it once was.

10) Between Essex and Bowery stations, you can see a remnant of the Christie Street connector between the Broadway line and the 6th Avenue IND line. I am told the connector is not abandoned, its just not used in revenue service.

11) After passing through the depressing Bowery station, you enter Canal Street, a three-station complex that connects two BMT lines with the original IRT subway line. The Canal Street bridge line station, on the lower level, was once named "Broadway" and there are photos of the station with that name. You can't tell today, but the station was closed for over 10 years while the Manhattan Bridge was being rebuilt. Since that station provided the connection from the Nassau Street Canal Street station to the IRT Canal Street station, the Bridge-bound platform had to remain open while the rest of the station was closed. It was a real mess, with water covering the trackways. It looked like the canals of Venice.

12) After Canal Street you'll enter my favorite station in the entire system - Chambers Street, a.k.a "The Magnificent Dungeon." This dilapidated station is so loaded with history you can almost feel it. There are more curios at this station than I can list here. Not only is there a direct connection to the IRT Brooklyn Bridge station (itself a treasure trove of curios), but there is an actual remnant of 1930's BMT open for easy viewing - the abandoned side platform. Why this has never been walled off is a mystery to me, but gazing at that platform, with its original tiling, ancient stairways and bannisters and tile work is a marvel.

There's also the middle abandoned platform to look at and if you're lucky, you can spot the abandoned tunnel that was to lead to the proposed Brooklyn Bridge line that was never built!

In all, the (J) offers more to the railfan and history buff than any other line.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4) The never-used trackway that soars above the Alabama Avenue station is also fascinating. Every time I see it, I wonder who built it and why, and why it wasn't completed.

5) Just west of the Crescent Street station, you can see the steelwork of the famous Chestnut Street BRT-LIRR connection that once allowed LIRR and BRT cars to travel on each other's lines. Its amazing to think that 100 years ago, the LIRR provided easy, direct service to lower Manhattan via the BRT route, but today, in the "modern" era, such service can't be provided.

I tohught that connected to a demolished el?

How could LIRR trains run on those tracks today? If 75 foot subway cars can't handle the curves on those tracks, how would 85 foot modern LIRR cars fit?

The L train is the absolute best train in NYC. Runs fast and you can transfer to most trains... A,C,J,Z at Broadway Junction, M at Myrtle and Wycoff, G at Lorimer, Q,W,R,4,5,6 at Union sq, F,V,1,2,3 at 6th ave, and A,C,E at 8th. I used to travel to Manhattan from Ridgewood and it was fast... Its even better if you live in Greenpoint or Williamsburg. Those resident people must love the "L".

(L) is (:P(E)(S)(T)

I tohught that connected to a demolished el?

I Just found out why:

The intent was to create a peak-direction express track above the current trackways. There was never express runs on the flyover because it was never put into service as it was never finished. There is a possibility that there was track on it to lay up train cars, but it could never have been used for any kind of service. That structure is the Alabama "launchpad"....Seriously though, that trackway was a provision built at the time of dual contracts rebuilding of the Bway Junction complex for a potential express track on the Jamaica line. It was to duck over the island local stations between Alabama and Crescent, and then once at Cypress Hills run down the middle of the Jamaica El. It never was anything more than it is now, and it never held track, the Jamaica Express was never to be. Later plans had the line completely rerouted over Jamaica Ave between Bway Junction and Cypress Hills, and the Fulton el was to be abandoned. That also didn't happen. It stub ends right where the station platform for Alabama Avenue begins.

How could LIRR trains run on those tracks today? If 75 foot subway cars can't handle the curves on those tracks, how would 85 foot modern LIRR cars fit?

"Departing Norwood Street, and just before arriving at the next station (Crescent Street), remains of a former connection to the LIRR can be seen at Chestnut Street. In the 1890s, the LIRR was looking for access to Manhattan and the BRT was looking for access to the Rockaways. The LIRR ran at grade on Atlantic Ave., one block south of the Jamaica El along Fulton Street. The two companies cooperated on a connection beginning in 1898, over which the LIRR ran service to Broadway Ferry and BRT ran service to the Rockaways via Woodhaven Junction. When the Williamsburg Bridge opened, the LIRR ran trains first to Essex St. and later all the way to Chambers St. This was the first direct access to the city for the LIRR. In 1917, a ruling against the joint operation by the USRA (the predecessor of the FRA) required the connection to be severed. Most of the junction's structure remained until the 1940s when the Atlantic Division of the LIRR was put underground and the connection structure was dismantled for the war effort. A photo from street level of these remains is below." - From http://www.nycsubway.org.

I also typed in: "Its amazing to think that 100 years ago, the LIRR provided easy, direct service to lower Manhattan via the BRT route, but today, in the "modern" era, such service can't be provided." if you didn't see it.

Learn to read the whole thing before you go off asking questions like that.

"Departing Norwood Street, and just before arriving at the next station (Crescent Street), remains of a former connection to the LIRR can be seen at Chestnut Street. In the 1890s, the LIRR was looking for access to Manhattan and the BRT was looking for access to the Rockaways. The LIRR ran at grade on Atlantic Ave., one block south of the Jamaica El along Fulton Street. The two companies cooperated on a connection beginning in 1898, over which the LIRR ran service to Broadway Ferry and BRT ran service to the Rockaways via Woodhaven Junction. When the Williamsburg Bridge opened, the LIRR ran trains first to Essex St. and later all the way to Chambers St. This was the first direct access to the city for the LIRR. In 1917, a ruling against the joint operation by the USRA (the predecessor of the FRA) required the connection to be severed. Most of the junction's structure remained until the 1940s when the Atlantic Division of the LIRR was put underground and the connection structure was dismantled for the war effort. A photo from street level of these remains is below." - From http://www.nycsubway.org.

I also typed in: "Its amazing to think that 100 years ago, the LIRR provided easy, direct service to lower Manhattan via the BRT route, but today, in the "modern" era, such service can't be provided." if you didn't see it.

Learn to read the whole thing before you go off asking questions like that.

I think you misunderstand my question. The old LIRR connection existed because they used shorter cars back then for the service. IIRC the LIRR trains that used the BMT connection were using 60 foot and smaller cars.

I was asking how you would expect modern service to be provided, short of donating a bunch of 60 foot NYCT cars to the LIRR for the special service.

I think you misunderstand my question. The old LIRR connection existed because they used shorter cars back then for the service. IIRC the LIRR trains that used the BMT connection were using 60 foot and smaller cars.

I was asking how you would expect modern service to be provided, short of donating a bunch of 60 foot NYCT cars to the LIRR for the special service.

Well, according to Wikipedia is because federal regulation prohibited allowances of a commuter railroad (LIRR) to share tracks with a subway or elevated line company.

• 3 months later...

I'm definitly going with my beloved Brighton line. Who doesn't love the long express runs, the fleet and the beautiful scenery?!! Man I would love to live in one of those houses between Newkirk Av and Av H that are just a few feet from the tracks. I love how the tracks meet the street level!

I'm definitly going with my beloved Brighton line. Who doesn't love the long express runs, the fleet and the beautiful scenery?!! Man I would love to live in one of those houses between Newkirk Av and Av H that are just a few feet from the tracks. I love how the tracks meet the street level!

Why? Rumbling all day/night.

True true. Hopefully I'll be able to buy some sound proof windows (lol if I could afford them). But on the other hand you get a nice view of the train as it travels past.

A nice view of the train

then a nice view of the next train...

then a nice view of the next train.......

My top Favorite is the Brighton Line

You get the Best Photo Ops, You have The R32 (:(,R160's and R68's on that line, Past, Present and Future all on one line, If they would put R160's on the (B), It would be better.

My (M) train all the way

Absolutely! The (M) is the absolutely most fascinating line ever. I don't think any other line has had so many different incarnations. From Myrtle-Jay Street to Broadway express to Chambers, to Broadway express/Brighton local to Coney Island, to Broadway local/West End local to Bay Ridge, to Broadway local/4th Ave. Express to 36th Street, to Broadway local to 4th Ave express to Bay Parkway/9th Ave, etc. Now that it will run through Midtown via 6th Ave and QB, it's over the top!

True true. Hopefully I'll be able to buy some sound proof windows (lol if I could afford them). But on the other hand you get a nice view of the train as it travels past.

But there's grafitti on those homes from vandals probably crossing the tracks to the houses. Plus the trains being right in the backyard = not worth it for me.

There's no point to have windows since the curtains would always be up because of trains passing by. I don't want stranges to see thru my window.

I might like trains, but I draw the line at living next to an active line.

• 1 month later...

A nice view of the train

then a nice view of the next train.......

I would really really love it!! I always wanted to live near train tracks and see trains go by. It would make for great paintings and artwork. If I was still a child and lived near some tracks, I would sh*t happiness and rainbows, I would be that happy!

I'm surprise apartments next to train tracks arent't cheaper...

My top Favorite is the Brighton Line

You get the Best Photo Ops, You have The R32 (B),R160's and R68's on that line, Past, Present and Future all on one line, If they would put R160's on the (B), It would be better.

No more new train takeover. I think the same train on every line takes away the flavor and personality of the line. ^_^

I miss my ol' "school bus" (N)(W)... Which use to be my favorite train until it was revamped beyond recognition.

1. The (W) is not a stop.

2. The (W) doesn't exist anymore.

3. I thought you lived in Yonkers, so the (W) was really far from you when it existed.

I also live in Yonkers, the only BMT lines that are close to me are the (B) & (D) lines, plus I also rode the (D)(F)(L)(N)(Q)(R) lines, the only BMT lines I rode, but only to certain parts of Brooklyn on the (L), but the other of course downtown Brooklyn.

Archived