• (N) Astoria/Broadway/Sea Beach Line
    • (Q) Astoria/Broadway/Brighton Line
    • (R) 60 St/Broadway/4 Avenue Line
    • (S) Franklin Avenue Shuttle
    • (W) Astoria/Broadway Line
    • (B) Brighton Line
    • (D) 4 Avenue/West End Line
    • (M) Chrystie St/Williamsburg Bridge/Myrtle Av Line

My favorite is the (Q) for the way it becomes part of the neighborhood in Brooklyn. It runs between houses in the middle of the block for the run from Prospect Park to Sheepshead Bay. Interesting neighborhoods and a long fast express run to Sheepshead Bay too.

Honorable Mention: (J) Old, interesting but slow even when running express.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh boy, it sure is. It's just the uptown part I don't like. The (Q) has, or had, at least a few months ago, to wait for the (R) and (N) at 34th Street. A bit annoying, especially when the (N) that was at Union Square while the (Q) was there would go first in front of that (Q).

Oh boy, it sure is. It's just the uptown part I don't like. The (Q) has, or had, at least a few months ago, to wait for the (R) and (N) at 34th Street. A bit annoying, especially when the (N) that was at Union Square while the (Q) was there would go first in front of that (Q).

Combine that with the occasions where the (N) has priority over the (Q) at the DeKalb Avenue junction…

• The (Q) makes a stop at Dekalb, dwells there and waits for the (N) to catch up from Pacific Street and lets the (N) on the bridge first.
  • The (N) is on the local tracks at 8 Street–NYU. The (Q) has caught up.
  • The (N) and the (Q) meet at 14 Street–Union Square.
  • The (Q) reaches 34 Street–Herald Square while the (N) is lagging behind.
  • The (Q) stalls until the (N) catches up and then the (N) proceeds to 42 Street–Times Square first!

The retarded scheduling system has effectively propagated all the time wasted on the local stations to the express train.

If you think this is bad, there was a time when the (N) and the (Q) left 42 Street–Times Square at the same time. I asked the conductor if 57 Street–7 Avenue was the last stop. He didn't know, but I knew it was physically impossible to stop at 49 Street at this point. The (Q) skipped 49 Street on the express track, but crept along the track so slowly that the (N) left 49 Street before the (Q) bypassed the station. That (Q) switched to the local track south of 57 Street–7 Avenue before continuing to Astoria. I was hoping to get to Queensboro Plaza before the (N) or at least run up the stairs and over to the other platform to catch the (N) again if it terminated on the southbound express track at 57 Street–7 Avenue.

So it does have priority over the (Q)... No wonder. Sometimes, when the (Q) is at 34th Street and an (R) is arriving, it will let the (R) go first. Then when an (N) comes, the (Q) will also let it go first. It's very annoying, but I've noticed that this has happened less and less.

• 2 years later...

The (D) has a nice but short stretch in Bensonhurst that I remember from the trips I took home from Coney Island as a kid.  Whenever we'd go through Bensonhurst on a Friday, you could smell the most delicious Italian food, which I learned from the motorman was Eggplant Parmigian.  I learned to cook it a few years later.  As a kid, I remember looking out the front window of the train a lot (it wasn't the D then).  There was a big house on top of a hill (in Bay Ridge) that I could see and I remember telling my sister that I was going to move there when I grew up.  Years later, I realized that I actually HAD moved to that house but didn't find out until I lived there for 12 years.  It looked very different from what I had seen on the train all those years before and I had to ride it again before I figured it out.

Combine that with the occasions where the (N) has priority over the (Q) at the DeKalb Avenue junction…

• The (Q) makes a stop at Dekalb, dwells there and waits for the (N) to catch up from Pacific Street and lets the (N) on the bridge first.
  • The (N) is on the local tracks at 8 Street–NYU. The (Q) has caught up.
  • The (N) and the (Q) meet at 14 Street–Union Square.
  • The (Q) reaches 34 Street–Herald Square while the (N) is lagging behind.
  • The (Q) stalls until the (N) catches up and then the (N) proceeds to 42 Street–Times Square first!
The retarded scheduling system has effectively propagated all the time wasted on the local stations to the express train.

If you think this is bad, there was a time when the (N) and the (Q) left 42 Street–Times Square at the same time. I asked the conductor if 57 Street–7 Avenue was the last stop. He didn't know, but I knew it was physically impossible to stop at 49 Street at this point. The (Q) skipped 49 Street on the express track, but crept along the track so slowly that the (N) left 49 Street before the (Q) bypassed the station. That (Q) switched to the local track south of 57 Street–7 Avenue before continuing to Astoria. I was hoping to get to Queensboro Plaza before the (N) or at least run up the stairs and over to the other platform to catch the (N) again if it terminated on the southbound express track at 57 Street–7 Avenue.

Wow what a breakdown. Solid! +9000!!!

I voted for 4th Ave BMT/West End as I am in BMT foamer mode right now. Seriously though considering the 4th Ave line as part of the Dual Contracts during that time it was ingenious for it's time. With the over engineering involved .Only half of the Bay Ridge line was actually constructed evident by the way the stations were constructed if you do the research, the underground bridge under the Bay Ridge LIRR being only actually 4 tracks, not two, the provision evident at 59th for the Staten Island connection, the loop that actually exists under Dekalb Ave before the electification of the Manny B for BMT/BRT service, and the West End line being one of the finest El runs in the city next to the Flushhing IRT as far as I'm concerned.

And more! I can't fit it in even one post..... it has a fascinating history behind the goal of NYC during the Dual Contraxct days. You guys know I'm a transit history buff, no shame......

The express trains going N/B killing it between 36th and Atlantic Ave  until the local stations are nothing but a blur as the T/Os are reving up the trains 50 MPH in change like they are trying to break the sound barrier. It's a fun joyride as far as I'm concerned.

I wish this was a IND thread. I would have definitely voted for the Queens Blvd Line obviously.......

Wow, this thread is old....

(L) for me. ^_^

Sorry couldn't help it, as soon as I heard it, I couldn't stop but start foaming about the 4th Ave line. Dammit. I relapsed (advanced from? Digressed from? Who cares....) from regular angry straphanger to foamer lol. Shame on me. =D

The (N), because of its elevated Astoria and open-cut Sea Beach lines. I personally believe this line should be just as a bit more frequent like the (Q) midday and evening, not just rush hour.

The (R) would have to be my second favorite BMT line. I personally feel it should run a bit more frequent like the (Q) also. This line really needs to see better improvements and more service off-peak. The constant delays and lateness of it has got to die.

Archived