The Knicks and Rangers back on 'free tv' for 1st time in years?

Shortline Bus

I know the NBA and NHL is not popular on these boards but something to ask. Anyone noticed that the Knicks and Rangers have quietly returned to have a limited number of games on local 'free tv?" They been on Friday and Saturday Nights since December been apperaring on WPIX-TV/Ch. 11 in NYC.

Other than 'national games' on ESPN/ABC for the Knicks and NBC/Versus for the Rangers this is the first time regularly the MSG owned teams have been on local free tv since the late 1990's when they were shown on weekends on Ch.9.

Since about 2000 until this NBA/NHL season Knick/Ranger games were shown only on MSG other than 'national' games.:cool:

95% of the Knicks/Rangers are stil shown only on the MSG Network.

Is the bad ecomony a factor for this change of a few Knick/Ranger games returning on 'free tv' to Channel 11?

I know the NBA and NHL is not popular on these boards but something to ask. Anyone noticed that the Knicks and Rangers have quietly returned to have a limited number of games on local 'free tv?" They been on Friday and Saturday Nights since December been apperaring on WPIX-TV/Ch. 11 in NYC.

Other than 'national games' on ESPN/ABC for the Knicks and NBC/Versus for the Rangers this is the first time regularly the MSG owned teams have been on local free tv since the late 1990's when they were shown on weekends on Ch.9.

Since about 2000 until this NBA/NHL season Knick/Ranger games were shown only on MSG other than 'national' games.:cool:

95% of the Knicks/Rangers are stil shown only on the MSG Network.

Is the bad ecomony a factor for this change of a few Knick/Ranger games returning on 'free tv' to Channel 11?

Hey, I'm been noticing that too. But off-topic, did MLB ever broadcast the entire postseason on free tv, or a entire regular season?

Hey, I'm been noticing that too. But off-topic, did MLB ever broadcast the entire postseason on free tv, or a entire regular season?

Here in philly they have games on really randomly, some are on the lower channels, and some are on the "cable" channels.

- A

Ulmer let me answer that question. Prior to 1995, when there was only '2' rounds of the playoffs for many years ie the LCS and World Series all of the games were shown on 'free national tv" usually NBC or ABC. Here the Modern MLB TV Contract since 1965. Correct me guys if i am wrong.

1965-ABC(Regular Season only-"Saturday Game of the week") NBC-selected 'prime time games, the 1965 All star game and the world series.

1966-69-NBC only(Saturday afternoon 'game of the week', select Monday Night games and the world series)

1969-75-NBC-TV Only(Saturday Afternoon game of the week, Monday Night games April-August, the LCS and the world series)

1976-83-NBC and ABC (NBC covered the Saturday Afternoon game of the week while ABC Monday Night baseball. Both stations 'rotate' coverage of the world series every year between 1976-89.)

1983-89-NBC and ABC(NBC still covered Saturday afternoon games now a 'doubleheader' weekly in this era) [ABC shifted the 'prime time' games to Thursday and or Friday Nights from Memorial Weekend-end of season. Also covered Sunday afternoon games involving 'playoff contenders' in August-September.

USA Network-covered the Sunday Night Regular Season Games from about 1982-87.

USA was the first 'national' cable station to get part of the MLB TV package.

ABC and NBC still rotated and shared coverage of the LCS playoffs and World Series until 1989.

1990-93-CBS-TV only(Covered only 'limited amount of 16 weekly games' usually from First Saturday afternoon in June-End of Season)

ESPN-Became the main regular season MLB National TV home, coverng games on Sunday, Tuesday and Friday Nights in this period.

CBS-Mainly covered the LCS playoffs and World Series in this period.

1994-95-ABC and NBC again-Created a joint tv coverage produced by ESPN called the "Baseball Network' (not to be confused with current MLB Network Cable TV channel.) ABC and NBC (covered Friday Night games for the entire season-ABC the first half and NBC the 2nd half of season)

ABC and NBC split the coverage of the playoffs on alternative nites from the Divison Series(1st round)LCS Playoffs and the World Series in 1995. No post season in 1994.

ESPN now reduced and now carries games mainly on Sunday and Friday Night which continues to this day.

1996-2001. Fox,(new primary MLB station) ESPN(most of the regular season & most of the LDS playoff games) and NBC(only the all star game, select playoff games and the world series rotating with Fox)this was a great TV package and something MLB should have continued.

2001-current-Fox(Saturday afternoon 'game of the week', the LCS and World Series) and ESPN(Sunday & Friday Night games and most of the first round/LDS games)

In 2007, Turner aka TBS/TNT replaced ESPN for coverage of the first round LDS playoffgames and part of the LCS by giving up coverage of the Atlanta Braves. Regular Season games on Sunday afternoon all season too.,

From 2006-2013, ESPN also covers the WBC(world baseball Clasic games and the 'final' game)and all events of 'all star Monday" at the MLB ASG.

Hope this 'brief' history answers your question Ulmer?:(

Here in philly they have games on really randomly, some are on the lower channels, and some are on the "cable" channels.

- A

Metsfan let me clairfy. For last 6-7 years, The majority of Phillies local TV games are on Philadelphia CSN(Comcast sports net)as they cover about 125-30 games a year.

CW57 (WPIX-TV 'sister' station in Philadelphia)shows about 40-50 games a year usually Friday and Sunday Afternoon games. CW57's 'sister' station KYW(Philly's CBS station)'simulcasts' some of the Friday Night and Sunday Afternoon games if no events are shown on the main CBS station. Plus another 5-6 games shown on 'national tv' either on ESPN, Fox or TNT/TBS.

Probably the same schedule for this year for the '09 Phillies on Local TV too.

My brother lives in South NJ(Philly area) and i visit that area alot on weekends.

Well doesn't Channel 9 broadcast a Yankees game, every week, either Tuesday or Friday, or both.

And WPIX broadcasts Sunday afternoon games for the Mets.

Before 1997, WPIX used to carry the Yankees and the Mets on WWOR-TV. At it's pre cable peak between around 1975-90, 'PIX carried around 125-30 Yankee games a year with ditto for the Mets and Ch.9 with games almost every night in July and August. Sports Cable channels mainly Sportschannel (now Fox sports Net) and MSG carry mid week games. .

Now as the Mets 'free tv' home Ch.11 only covers around 40 games a year usually Sunday Afternoon and few Friday or Saturday Night games from June-September.

WWOR TV carries 20-25 games a year for Yanks usually Friday Nights and during July/August on Tuesday also.

Well doesn't Channel 9 broadcast a Yankees game, every week, either Tuesday or Friday, or both.

And WPIX broadcasts Sunday afternoon games for the Mets.

Giants still have football games on Thursday night?I remember my friend was very mad the next day at school, because he couldn't watch his smackdown on Thursday night...then they change it to Friday night and guess what the Yankee have their game the same time slot and he was piss of again.Then they put smackdown on CH 11...and Mets some have their game on the same time he was piss again,but yet they going to show on Saturday night.....other city's have this problem like Philly,however my friend made a good point on why they couldn't have these games on Cable when Smackdown was on or if they really want to have free games on tv,they should put the games on Saturday night.

For some reason Basketball don't be on regular tv that much anymore(except for Sunday when they have it on CH 7)....I don't know it's their ratings aren't that good or the network don't think Basketball are important enough to be shown on Network tv regular basics.

Giants still have football games on Thursday night?I remember my friend was very mad the next day at school, because he couldn't watch his smackdown on Thursday night...then they change it to Friday night and guess what the Yankee have their game the same time slot and he was piss of again.Then they put smackdown on CH 11...and Mets some have their game on the same time he was piss again,but yet they going to show on Saturday night.....other city's have this problem like Philly,however my friend made a good point on why they couldn't have these games on Cable when Smackdown was on or if they really want to have free games on tv,they should put the games on Saturday night.

For some reason Basketball don't be on regular tv that much anymore(except for Sunday when they have it on CH 7)....I don't know it's their ratings aren't that good or the network don't think Basketball are important enough to be shown on Network tv regular basics.

Actually NBA Boss David Stern and the NBA Owners took more $$$ to have most of their 'national' games on ESPN and TNT. ABC which is ESPN sister station only shows a few games and all of the NBA Finals.

I miss the NBA on NBC in the 1990's with doubleheader games every Sundays during the regular season from Mid January (end of NFL season)and almost all of the weekend playoff games and the Finals too.

Archived