Can the R44-SIRTs be linked into 4 car sets?

B41

Yeah but those cars that you are recommending must be converted for SIR use. For example it must be converted such that it follows FRA regulations.

oh i know that, thats why i said it would never happen, ive come to terms with this sad fact, lol but i guess its a hope we all have. i hear ppl talking all the time wen im the train saying wow u see those new trains on the subway those would be good on SI.

time i gues will tell

oh i know that, thats why i said it would never happen, ive come to terms with this sad fact, lol but i guess its a hope we all have. i hear ppl talking all the time wen im the train saying wow u see those new trains on the subway those would be good on SI.

time i gues will tell

I mean, despite the current situations, the SIR should see new cars. They should arrive on time, hopefully. It's not as bad as the 70s when they cancelled plans for new cars.

• 4 months later...
im sorry to say it tho but i dont think the SIR 44s are gunna make it to the 179s, there not in good shape, a mod 68, a 160 sumthing just to get it by i know it will never happen but dammit, lol cause giving a train blue seats and black floors doesent help the train get by another 5 yrs, considering its already been 100 yrs theve been in service lol, but like today the car #456 the right side door in the front by the Cab wouldent open, the train sounded like it was gunna blow up, it had to put put as i call it out of great kills,but the floors and seats looked very spiffy, these cars are done, u cant even hear urself think wen u ride that train, i LOVE SIR but we need sumthing to get us by.

The R44s should last once all of them are rehabbed. If not, then I wonder if the MTA will resort to putting Metro-North or LIRR trains on the SIR.

The R44s should last once all of them are rehabbed. If not, then I wonder if the MTA will resort to putting Metro-North or LIRR trains on the SIR.

Although LIRR cars were sent to SIRT in the past due to the deteriorating condition of the B&O cars which were about 50 years old at that time. Today's Metropolitan cars may pose some problems if they were to be sent to SIRT. Among them are clearance issues at St George and possibly lower third-rail power than on the LIRR. MNRR uses underrunning third-rail, so I would expect if any railroad equipment were to be sent, it would be from the LIRR. There is also the "politics" of the situation where SI riders might complain about second-hand equipment even if it has more amenities than rapid transit equipment.

IMO, put a refurbished LIRR M-3 on the SIR as a publicity stunt prior to announcing that new cars are right around the corner. :)

Just a side note, for some reason or other, an SIR R44 was recently scrapped for whatever reason. Although not all 16 trains are used during the day, particularly during rush hours, this means that cars are definitely swapped then; I really had no idea that SIR's R44s were singles.

Just a side note, for some reason or other, an SIR R44 was recently scrapped for whatever reason. Although not all 16 trains are used during the day, particularly during rush hours, this means that cars are definitely swapped then; I really had no idea that SIR's R44s were singles.

technically they are not. the B cars have couplers. and i believe they can be operated singlely for yard moves, but not for revenue. Pre-GOH 44's and 46s were like this. there are a small handful of 46s in NYCTs fleet that can still do this. A SMALL handful. like around 2 to 5 cars most. Someone can verify that.

technically they are not. the B cars have couplers. and i believe they can be operated singlely for yard moves, but not for revenue. Pre-GOH 44's and 46s were like this. there are a small handful of 46s in NYCTs fleet that can still do this. A SMALL handful. like around 2 to 5 cars most. Someone can verify that.

Yeah, SIR's R44s "B" cars have couplers. But the only way they can operate by themselves is if hostelers were installed on both ends. That's how R46 6207 operates; If I'm correct, you could actually drive R46 6207 if you wanted to. (I remember someone told me a story behind why 6207 has one.) I haven't seen the hosteler on the car though, it may be behind a door or something. But SIR's R44s are hypothetically singles; the "B" cars however need to be coupled to an "A" car to run, although for a train to be linked in a five-car set, as what someone stated, an A+B+B+B+A consist is possible.

img_100613.jpg

Because of this, R46 6207 is operable. But the R44s B cars on SIR probably don't have these, just a coupling mechanism.

and i recall a few years ago the SIR had some 5 car service. but some were a mixed consist of A and B cars. some can include ABBBA, AABBA, ABABA and so on...

Not having cars linked by drawbars has its advantages when needing to assemble a consist for service and there might not be exactly enough to make a "perfect" consist like ABBBA or ABBA. Those who are around my age and older may remember the days in the late 70s and early 80s of IRT consists being assembled of any cars available regardles of model.

a friend who became a T/O a few years ago had to get certified for 6207 as from what i understand, all T/O's who get certified for R46's have to. I too am not sure if SIR's R44s have this now. Thanks for the pic!

No problem! :cool:

and i recall a few years ago the SIR had some 5 car service. but some were a mixed consist of A and B cars. some can include ABBBA, AABBA, ABABA and so on...

Not having cars linked by drawbars has its advantages when needing to assemble a consist for service and there might not be exactly enough to make a "perfect" consist like ABBBA or ABBA. Those who are around my age and older may remember the days in the late 70s and early 80s of IRT consists being assembled of any cars available regardles of model.

Yeah, there are times of the day where five cars are used. It's because trains operate every fifteen minutes and the train can get jam-packed with passengers pretty quickly because of the long headway, but that has to do with the ferry; the SIR runs in accordance with the ferry. And in regards to the IRT model mixup, even the current SMEEs can do this if they wanted to. That means you could see an R32 and a Slant running together, or an R38 and an R42 running together!

that i know as well. i remember hearing during the fleets GOH that it was gonna be standard practice to discontinue running mixed consists in revenue to help reduce the MDBF. cars of the same type run more efficiently. but for yard moves and non revenue moves, anything goes! LOL

that i know as well. i remember hearing during the fleets GOH that it was gonna be standard practice to discontinue running mixed consists in revenue to help reduce the MDBF. cars of the same type run more efficiently. but for yard moves and non revenue moves, anything goes! LOL

How true...this is why in December when Slants were on the (C) I saw a set of R38s and Slants OOS.

Archived