My School's View on Public Transit...

R32 3348

Guest Charles
Yo Kris, are those kids supposed to represent freshmen?

Actually the artist of this cartoon is an 8th grader...she's quite annoying and has no idea what she talks about.

The M96 is slow and crowded. Really aggravates me when it takes 20 minutes to get from 96 St/Madison to 96 St/CPW...but hey, the trip through Central Park is scenic!

@MTR Admiralty - LOL!!! It's so funny, in some Chinese cities like Shanghai you pay more for a bus with air-conditioning.

Actually the artist of this cartoon is an 8th grader...she's quite annoying and has no idea what she talks about.

The M96 is slow and crowded. Really aggravates me when it takes 20 minutes to get from 96 St/Madison to 96 St/CPW...but hey, the trip through Central Park is scenic!

@MTR Admiralty - LOL!!! It's so funny, in some Chinese cities like Shanghai you pay more for a bus with air-conditioning.

Wow, that's painfully slow for a bus.

It's not just Shanghai, many Asian cities have a system where you pay more for an AC bus. A couple of examples to note are Manila and Bangkok. All standard buses in Hong Kong, by now, have air conditioning. But back then, when AC vehicles weren't that common, AC buses did carry a premium.

Guest Charles
Thats weird.. why does the M96 take 20 minutes to get across the park if the M66 takes like, 5 minutes or less during rush hour?

Well on 96th Street, there's a lot of cabs and commercial traffic. 96th Street is notorious for double-parking, especially between Park and 3rd Avenues. That said, traffic moves at a crawl. Because of the large amount of traffic, crossing an intersection can take minutes.

A lot of people need to use the M96 as well. That's another two minutes or so at the bus stop. Even though the M96 uses Madison Avenue for only 1 block, it takes such a long time b/c of all the delivery trucks, Madison Av Buses, Express Buses, and ambulances going to Mount Sinai.

Coming back, the main reason it's so slow is because of the traffic light at 96 St/5 Av. You've got so many cars coming from the West Side into the East Side on one lane of traffic. Only until, say 250 feet before the intersection does it widen to two lanes. The green light is short, compared to other major intersections. I vividly remember one occasion where the traffic was so bad, the tail end of the jam reached all the way to CPW. The M96 driver just stayed at the bus stop, otherwise he basically would've blocked CPW. All said and done, that's going to take a lot of time to travel a short distance. It's pretty much the same on other crosstown routes, but it's just I've been on the M96 long enough to firsthandedly see why it received the Pokey Award.

Well on 96th Street, there's a lot of cabs and commercial traffic. 96th Street is notorious for double-parking, especially between Park and 3rd Avenues. That said, traffic moves at a crawl. Because of the large amount of traffic, crossing an intersection can take minutes.

A lot of people need to use the M96 as well. That's another two minutes or so at the bus stop. Even though the M96 uses Madison Avenue for only 1 block, it takes such a long time b/c of all the delivery trucks, Madison Av Buses, Express Buses, and ambulances going to Mount Sinai.

Coming back, the main reason it's so slow is because of the traffic light at 96 St/5 Av. You've got so many cars coming from the West Side into the East Side on one lane of traffic. Only until, say 250 feet before the intersection does it widen to two lanes. The green light is short, compared to other major intersections. I vividly remember one occasion where the traffic was so bad, the tail end of the jam reached all the way to CPW. The M96 driver just stayed at the bus stop, otherwise he basically would've blocked CPW. All said and done, that's going to take a lot of time to travel a short distance. It's pretty much the same on other crosstown routes, but it's just I've been on the M96 long enough to firsthandedly see why it received the Pokey Award.

I take the M57 and M66, and both are much faster than the M96 as you described it..

Archived