What is a typical day like as a train operator?

Dahon

What is a typical day like as a train operator? I'm looking for two perspectives, one as a new train operator and one as a seasoned train operator. I know that the season operator does not have to wait for a job. For example, in the beginning of the shift where do your report to (is it at the end of a train line like Coney Island)? Then after certain hours when do you take breaks or a lunch break? Then after the break where do you report to? Do you have a wait time after lunch? Or do you go strictly back to work? Do you have to clock in at an office?

So many are so excited they might get this job. Can't wait till you all join MTA. You clock in at the crew office (can be a terminal, can be a holding pin (aka Mott)). If on the board, you wait to see if a job opens up. If not, you get a schedule card (if available, or then you do it by pen and paper), with your job, keep your ears open (they might send you out early), read GO's (if any), get mentally prepared, and go down the road........

You clock off for breaks? Are you allowed two breaks and lunch for a shift?

When you get a job, when do you take lunch? Let's say your job starts at Coney Island on the D line. You take the train up to the Bronx and then get lunch? Or do you have to take the train back to Coney Island. I guess that would take 3-4 hours back and fourth?

You clock off for breaks? Are you allowed two breaks and lunch for a shift?

When you get a job, when do you take lunch? Let's say your job starts at Coney Island on the D line. You take the train up to the Bronx and then get lunch? Or do you have to take the train back to Coney Island. I guess that would take 3-4 hours back and fourth?

Like I said earlier there are TONS of different jobs on 3 tours on all of the lines, yards, and terminals. Every job is different. Some jobs you get barely any "recovery" time and some you get sufficient "recovery" time.

On the road there are plenty of days your lunch is to small to actually eat anything. There is no clocking off. You sign on at your start and off when you go home.

Sounds almost like slavery sometimes. You have to eat? No?

No you don't have to eat. You are guaranteed 20 minutes for lunch. If you get less than that they will pay you 30 minutes instead of giving you time to eat.

It doesn't sound legal. In my job, for every four hours we get a 15 min break. My boss told me its the law.

No you don't have to eat. You are guaranteed 20 minutes for lunch. If you get less than that they will pay you 30 minutes instead of giving you time to eat.

what type of job do you have dahon? People get like pre madonnas with this lunch break or breaks period. I drive all day and make my own time for my lunch IF i want to eat something. The sooner i get done the sooner i go home. If i get employeed by ta, i'd be happy i'm getting paid for 1/2 and have a job.

what type of job do you have dahon? People get like pre madonnas with this lunch break or breaks period. I drive all day and make time for my lunch IF i want to eat something. The sooner i get done the sooner i go home. If i get employeed by ta, i'd be happy i'm getting paid for 1/2 and have a job.

Dan that signature is awesome if I am reading it right. You meant Eric the actor right? Hahahaha

Dan that signature is awesome if I am reading it right. You meant Eric the actor right? Hahahaha

10-4 jah, eric the ___ fill in the blank lol. i'll make sure when i'm operating on the rails i have my magnet sirius antenna out the window.:)

He meant on the link to NYCSubway. I believe that the story was about a woman T/O.

Yes and if you read that story it has the following line at the top "By Alex LaBianca". I think (remember, you can never be sure of anything except death and taxes) that maybe, just MAYBE, this might be Alex L.

Sorry bro, I didn't read carefully enough. I assumed you were with your daughter and your writing style.

The T/O got an hour and fifty minute lunch. And what gave you the impression that I'm a woman?

Looks like our friend Jah is being a little cynical today.

I'd give my two cents about the job, but I've gotta get ready to go in. I'll get to it this afternoon.

Cynical? NO

Honest? Yes

I said what is true, the TA does not care if you get a lunch. The union fought this fact a few years ago and got it changed so that you can have time to eat if you miss your lunch ONLY if you have waa to cover the time later in your job!

The union did fight for the right to be able to have a lunch if you miss your lunch but its never enforced. I still have days I don't get a lunch and put in my time.

Even if it is enforced if you don't have waa later in your job then you don't get a lunch. That's why I laughed when they said that they won this "gain" for the members.

Yeah, but you make it sound like we never get a lunch. I pounded the road today on the F and got over an hour to eat. There are days where I'll get 1½ to 2 hours for lunch, there are days where I'll get 15 minutes. I take the bitter with the sweet.

Yeah, but you make it sound like we never get a lunch. I pounded the road today on the F and got over an hour to eat. There are days where I'll get 1½ to 2 hours for lunch, there are days where I'll get 15 minutes. I take the bitter with the sweet.

Please tell me what job gives you 2 hours for lunch. NOT waa lunch.

Archived