• (E) - Eighth Avenue Local
    • (F) - Sixth Avenue Local
    • (G) - Crosstown Local
    • (H) - Rockaway Shuttle
    • (V) - Sixth Avenue Local

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now my reason for the (E) even though I would have actually selected the (F) as my choice:

It was an innovation of engineering with an interesting history as the City of New York incorporated Queens County out of Nassau county after WW2. Therefore the IND took special care in the creation of this line with an innovation of features in rapid transit technology for it's time as the whole purpose of the QBL was indeed to incorporate it into the LIRR (!!!):

1) Notice the run between 179th and Union Turnpike (getting tired already  need coffee...) there is a number of spurs that connect to not only Jamaica yard in eastward -and- westward direction but also a spur that exists that was originally designed for trains to the World Fair. Later on in history that same connection was utililized as part of the Archer Ave Line with the gal of using the LIRR trackage to serve all of SouthEast Queens.

2) The QBL was innovative as it was the first time NYC rapid transit engineers (I.E Independent Subway System) incorporated such things such as concrete ties, diverging paths for local and express trains (The run between 74-Roosevelt Ave and Queensboro Plaza and later on Queensbridge/21st St). The only other location that the IND engineers and architects used such methods of construction is at the Culver Viaduct where the local ROW and the express ROW take completely different paths.

3) The extend of engineering on the IND QBL is phenomenal: The spur that exists at Roosevelt (Google it I'm too lazy), also the uncompleted spur at the vicinity of Rego Park to connect to the LIRR.

4) Then we have our history involving the Queens Super Express and the 63rd Street Line. I'm so tired of typing this, google it plz.

Now we have upcoming projects to modernize the line equiping the lime with a new CBTC system in the future as well as possible other expansions provided you are able to live that long to see it.

Now as for other reasons why I like it:

1) The run between Roosevelt and QBP Manhattan Bound hauls ass: Trains kill this ROW at 50 MPH in change. Major joyride.

2) Ditto on the run between Roosevelt and Forest Hills also another joyride where the T/O tries desperately to break the sound barrier and bring the R160 to it's limit on his said (E) or (F) run.

And more, Two Timer, SnowBlock (the heck are you two?) can break it down for you for you. Lance feel free to critique. 

I'm done. Happy?  :lol:

Actually Nassau was created from Queens county, as the three eastern towns of what was then Queens county did not want to be part of New York city. 

But yea the (E) is a good run, its got modern trains and provides a good ride. The (F) is pretty good too, the 179 Street line is an interesting run with some classic IND architecture in those eastern stations, they got the large mezzanines.

The (A) is nice too, but the Brooklyn part sucks because it runs through bad areas. The (G) is interesting, the (D) is alright, the Concourse line stations are creepy tho. The (B) is alright, the (C) is okie but looses points because of the Brooklyn section that goes through those ghetto areas and the fact its stuck with the oldest cars in the fleet.

The best part about the IND stations is they are the easiest to photograph underground because nearly every IND stop has extra space on the platform behind where the back of the train stops.

Dang ran out of rep points from the metrocard thread by mtattrain, I'll catch up to you lilbluefoxie +1. I'll admit I was red as a beet typing this like I was doing a research report at the last minute cause SOMEONE here on this site keeps on bumping up this thread lol.  :lol:

It's a 3-way tie between the (A), (B) and (C). My reasons are as follows:

-The (A) has nice scenery in the Rockaways. Worth the journey, if you're ever in town. Loses points because travelling from Manhattan to the Rockaways is really slow, and you could get sick of any car, regardless of how much you enjoy it, by the time you reach your destination.

-The (B) is home to the R68As, which are my favorite B division cars in the system. I would have said the (D), but I don't really like that one due to the fact that it is the home of the "bastard units". They might not be such anymore but once your good opinion of something is ruined it does not return, and the R68s are no exception (which is why the R62As have replaced the TTC H5s as my all time favorite rapid transit cars). (B) loses points because it's weekday only, it's a supplementary route so it's one of the first to be cut in the event of a service change and it does not go to Coney Island.

- (C) is home to the R32s. Loses points because of the infrequent service, the fact that, again, it's a supplementary route and the local stations from Lafayette to Euclid are very lonely and desolate.

People may claim that it is ridiculous that I dislike the (D) for its cars, but in reality it's no different from those who dislike the (C) because of the R32s.

The best part about the IND stations is they are the easiest to photograph underground because nearly every IND stop has extra space on the platform behind where the back of the train stops.

Yup, God bless the designers. Shame the BMT and IRT didn't follow in their footsteps.

Whew, had to walk away and get coffee.......

I like the (E) myself as well. Love the express in Queens and local in Manhattan as a whole. The R-160s makes it a smooth ride to me.

What's interesting is the express trains going east-bound towards Jamaica: I'm not a T/O but it seems that after he/she departs from Roosevelt they hit a timer by Grand Ave then after that all the signals clear, it seems that they hit 50MPH by the time they hit Woodhaven Blvd SCREAMING through the local station then cruise, then after that after hauling though 67th Ave they attempt to hit 60 MPH before braking at 71st-Forest Hills.

On the Manhattan Bound: The ride between Roosevelt and QBP or 21st St/QB is something else as they speed through 65th St station on the express into the diverging tunnels from the local. Of course the T/O has to slow down to clear timers at 36th St to get through the interlocking into the 63rd St line but if you was a passenger on the (E) sometimes you'll almost be thrown out of your seat as you approach QBP. 

I'm pretty sure these (E)(F) runs must be the pick of the crop for the T/Os and C/Rs  just for the lutz.

It's not like I have a radar gun on the platforms taking notes, (I wish) so these are just educated guesses on the speeds that these trains travels as they go on the QBL ROW.....

To add: They are as you said on R160s, the fastest cars on the system. They are the only cars that can knock 60MPH easy in the 60th Street tubes for example, I'm sure no other cars including the R142's can reach speeds like that. Another reason that even as a disciplined straphanger I catch myself foaming ridiculous if I'm ever on the OBL let alone the BMT 4th Ave Line. (Commenting on my favorite BMT line, which got me into writing this mess of an essay on the QBL in the first place.) 

Somebody get me oxygen.....

It's a 3-way tie between the (A), (B) and (C). My reasons are as follows:

-The (A) has nice scenery in the Rockaways. Worth the journey, if you're ever in town. Loses points because travelling from Manhattan to the Rockaways is really slow, and you could get sick of any car, regardless of how much you enjoy it, by the time you reach your destination.

-The (B) is home to the R68As, which are my favorite B division cars in the system. I would have said the (D), but I don't really like that one due to the fact that it is the home of the "bastard units". They might not be such anymore but once your good opinion of something is ruined it does not return, and the R68s are no exception (which is why the R62As have replaced the TTC H5s as my all time favorite rapid transit cars). (B) loses points because it's weekday only, it's a supplementary route so it's one of the first to be cut in the event of a service change and it does not go to Coney Island.

- (C) is home to the R32s. Loses points because of the infrequent service, the fact that, again, it's a supplementary route and the local stations from Lafayette to Euclid are very lonely and desolate.

People may claim that it is ridiculous that I dislike the (D) for its cars, but in reality it's no different from those who dislike the (C) because of the R32s.

+1

The (A) is my IND favorite subway route because of its primarily outstanding views across Jamaica Bay and the Rockaways. Its headways are also good. On the down side, some of its express runs with timers in Manhattan and Brooklyn makes the ride very slow and annoying and I believe it should have some more spare trains due to its longer route meaning any cars it uses are prone to breaking down much more often.

The (C) would have to be my second favorite IND line because the R32s make that line their home like the (E) before.

The Fulton Ave Extension was created by the BMT, as the Fulton Ave El. The IND created the subway underneath Fulton, then extended, sticking on the el tracks. The part you like about the (A) is on that extension.

I like the (E) myself as well. Love the express in Queens and local in Manhattan as a whole. The R-160s makes it a smooth ride to me.

The (E)... Too many stinky peeps

The  (A) has the highest votes of all IND routes, next comes the  (E) and then the  (D).   :)

I've been commuting to sites for IT work contract fulfillments lately via the  (A) on the IND Fulton Street Line from 125th Street on the CPW. I'll admit, it's a really smooth, fast ride once it hits Brooklyn. Not bad at all.

I like the (A) for its fast express runs in Manhattan and Brooklyn and its non-stop run between Howard Beach and Broad Channel so I chose it as my favorite. Runner-up is the (F) for its fast express run in Queens, Roosevelt Island station and the Gowanus Viaduct in Brooklyn. Those views of southern Brooklyn and lower Manhattan can't be beat.

Archived