Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Blinkerdoors

Operation "MOM" light-rail

What do you want to know about MOM. I can give you all you want to know. First off its not Light Rail no way in hell. This is a heavy rail operation if ever done. There is the the short and wasteful connection off the North Jersey Coast line to the Southern Secondary down to Lakehurst. This route makes no sense as it does not help traffic nor serve a large amount of people.

The route that is most likely to go through known as the Monmouth Junction route which uses the current Freehold Industrial track between Farmingdale and Monmouth Junction along with the Southern Secondary to Lakehurst from Farmingdale. This route will probably be used when ever they get money or they finish with environment tests they could start building. But since everything has been thrown into that tunnel up north it will be a while before a train rolls on MOM.

There is also the Matawan route which makes the most sense but since its a rail trail now will probably not be built. It would use a 12 mile CNJ branch to Freehold where it would connect with the existing freight line and head to Farmingdale and Lakehurst this however will probably never happen. A shame since it parallels route 9 which is a major cause for congestion in the area.

Edited by kaback9
grammar

So, this calls for a station to be re-opened at monmouth junction i say. :cool:

Rebuild the wye to allow trains from nyp/nwk/hob/tre/jav to go out thar.

You could put the station in 3 sections connected by a wide lit camera observed walkway and pedestrian bridge.

One section on the :nec: on either side, one section on the north part of the wye, and one section on the south part of the wye, or you could have just 2 sections, one on the :nec: and one where the wye converges to the east.

- A

There are plans for a Monmouth Junction station on MOM but I believe they were scrapped for a NEC South Brunswick station or a North Brunswick Station to replace Jersey Ave.

So MOM trains would run ala NJCL between the replacement jersey ave station & the MOM terminus? I mean, i think monmouth junction should be rebuilt, as it's half way between princeton & new brunswick. Maybe do both, so people coming from the south can save trip time.... & you can add more options & get locals access to train service vs watching it go 15 miles+ north as it passes by.

- A

Thats impossible since the NJCL is no where near Jersey Ave.

What would happen if the Monmouth Junction route is chosen is Trains would run from Newark(until tunnel is done and the dualmodes are ready then they can terminate some in NYP) to Monmouth Junction probably making select NEC stops then at Monmouth Junction they would swing on to what is not the Dayton Branch. Once on the Dayton Branch they would continue to Jamesburg. After a station stop in Jamesburg they would continue to Farmingdale where they would join the Southern Secondary and continue to the terminal at Lakehurst.

*That is what would hypothetically happen as of now

To use the NJCL they would have to use either the Matawan or Red Bank options. What I think should be done since my preferred route via Matawan is going nowhere is that they should build both the Monmouth Junction and Red Bank routes that way not all trains are stuck if there is a problem but that is just personal opinion.

The route from Monmouth Jct to the NJCL is quite feasible due to the existing catenary poles. However, the route is too long and the new trains may have clearance issues especially under the Turnpike. The rails look as if they can break with the ancient bolts.

The route from Monmouth Jct to the NJCL is quite feasible due to the existing catenary poles. However, the route is too long and the new trains may have clearance issues especially under the Turnpike. The rails look as if they can break with the ancient bolts.

The Amboy Secondary is not owned by NJDOT its owned by Conrail and is FREIGHT ONLY. Yes a pax train could run on it but that has not happend since a reroute in the 50's.

I'll get a map for you guys don't worry!

Multilevel's Comets, Geeps, PL42's and the dualmodes will probably dominate this line. If its ever built. They have been saying the same thing for 20 something years now but nothing ever happens.

Oh well, I hope it is like the Subways or Commuter Rail typed... I don't want to see equiptments like Amtrak go on it, :(...

No subway equipment. You will only see NJT stock on it.

The loading gauge on all former penn central lines, and lines connected to them are the same or similar, because rolling stock limitations would have been a disaster.

I say connect it from :nec: to :njc: if possible.

- A

They are going to connect with the NEC at this point as thats what they want to do, I wist they would connect with both but thats unlikely :)

The Matawan Alignment would never work. It crosses too many residential areas and the kids around here are too dumb or to ballsie to walk on the tracks.

You're absolutely right. I mean freight rarely pass at all these days.

On the Matawan route? Between Freehold and Matawn its a trail.

If your talking about the Amboy Secondary out of Browns Yard you are most definitely wrong. I track movements everyday in and out of the yard to Jamesburg to the Dayton Branch along with the Hightstown Branch and the Freehold Industrial track. There is also the stuff that uses the Gillipsie Branch everday or the Milltown line. Everyday except Saturday there is something going on out of CSAO Brown's Yard.

The Matawan Alignment would never work. It crosses too many residential areas and the kids around here are too dumb or to ballsie to walk on the tracks.

The ROW was there before the homes. The public good far out weighs the demands of some NIMBY's(I would here the trains as would you) However the route will not be chosen because its a trail already thats the reason the county would give. However for a while Middlesex wanted out and there was serious thoughts about the Matawan alternative.

ps. I agree the kids around here are a bunch of ****** for the most part :)