NJ transit information from this morning's wire problems

metsfan

I don't think it's NJT's problem that a train is stuck on the NEC. It is up to Amtrak's responsibility to maintain the NEC and keep its catenary in good condition. Look at it this way, there are almost no catenary incidents on the M&E since NJT maintains it very well. The M&E has "near" constant tension catenary from the DL&W, while Amtrak has to deal with PRR's old fashioned catenary. The bottom line is that Amtrak is at fault.

I don't think it's NJT's problem that a train is stuck on the NEC. It is up to Amtrak's responsibility to maintain the NEC and keep its catenary in good condition. Look at it this way, there are almost no catenary incidents on the M&E since NJT maintains it very well. The M&E has "near" constant tension catenary from the DL&W, while Amtrak has to deal with PRR's old fashioned catenary. The bottom line is that Amtrak is at fault.

If an NJT train brings down the wire its their fault...If an Amtrak train brings down the wire its Amtrak's fault. Amtrak is not at fault since until recently they were very underfunded. I think now you will start seeing a change in things on NEC, but we have to give it time. Remember Amtrak does not only have this little section they have an entire system to look after for maintenance.

When they get the $ to upgrade the old wires, it will be done. In the past 3 months there have been 5 wire problems as far as i can keep count. One left a train stuck in the tunnel under the hudson.

DL&W territory has the better wire system, because their electrification is actually a replacement of an earlier system that used 3000 volt DC. That replacement was completed in the early 80's. The original wires were put up and completed in the 30's. The original DL&W EMU are not at all compatible with AC overhead wire, and can't run on any lines today without being hooked to something else. There are only a very few of those EMU left.

- A

Archived