About the Blue Seats on R46's...

Maserati7200

The blue is not a layer of anything but paint.

They take out the seats, sand them down to smooth them out, and then paint them. Much the same as what they have always done, except instead of painting them tan and three shades of orange, theyre painting them periwinkle.

They take out the seats, sand them down to smooth them out, and then paint them. Much the same as what they have always done, except instead of painting them tan and three shades of orange, theyre painting them periwinkle.

and are becoming more common on alot of cars, ive seen them on R62, R46, R68 and the SIR R44

i think regardless of the cheap paint thing i think its much better

Why? It looks ridiculous to me. Here's a train with a very cohesive theme of warm colors and you stick periwinkle or blue or whatever you want to call it on just a few seats here and there. Makes no sense whatsoever and IMO makes the trains look tacky.

The SMS is better staying within the feel of the original train. They could have easily used beige for the seats. The blue doesn't work whatsoever. Not crazy about black floors on the R46 either, but that could work overall as a neutral. Blue seats are silly.

Yeah because evidently, they did not rip the old seats out and put in new ones. Because if that happened, we would find a whole stockpile of the old seats.

They do rip out the old seats,the R46 are going through SMS.

Why? It looks ridiculous to me. Here's a train with a very cohesive theme of warm colors and you stick periwinkle or blue or whatever you want to call it on just a few seats here and there. Makes no sense whatsoever and IMO makes the trains look tacky.

The SMS is better staying within the feel of the original train. They could have easily used beige for the seats. The blue doesn't work whatsoever. Not crazy about black floors on the R46 either, but that could work overall as a neutral. Blue seats are silly.

For the R46 it looks weird. But for the R62/A and the R68/A, I really think they should update the entire interior, not just the seats.

The R68s and R62s are fine with the stainless steel interiors. In fact, I really dislike the white/viridian panels on the R142s, R143s, and R160s. They are very prone for graffiti markes and heavy scratchitti.

I take the opposite position. Every R62A train I take on the (7) has quite a bit of scratchitti on those panels, but all the NTTs I take are vandalism free.

They pull out all the old seats.

Individual seats evaluated as needing repainting will either be patched, or totally repainted. (As they appear to not be using the old colors, any seat that is not blue, and requires patching will likely be fully repainted)

Once the floor is reinstalled and most other work is done, they will reinstall the old seats.

They pull out all the old seats.

Individual seats evaluated as needing repainting will either be patched, or totally repainted. (As they appear to not be using the old colors, any seat that is not blue, and requires patching will likely be fully repainted)

Once the floor is reinstalled and most other work is done, they will reinstall the old seats.

Yeah, but they are still there, no?

The R62s have a purpose for the new blue seats. I don't know if any of you noticed, but in areas of the blue seat, the keyhole which manually opens a door is on the side of the seat, not on the right/left side of the train door. I'm not sure if this is the case with the R46, but it is for the R62s.

Yeah, but they are still there, no?

If you see a car be it an R46,R62,R62A with the those blue seats,the old

seats were ripped out and replaced.likely cause they were cracked badly or

they were loose.most of the SMS work gets done at CI overhaul shop.

If you see a car be it an R46,R62,R62A with the those blue seats,the old

seats were ripped out and replaced.likely cause they were cracked badly or

they were loose.most of the SMS work gets done at CI overhaul shop.

O RLY? Then why does the bottom of the seat still have the old gum under it that is at least 5 years old? I PROMISE YOU, take a closer look at the seat, it isn't new.

The R62s have a purpose for the new blue seats. I don't know if any of you noticed, but in areas of the blue seat, the keyhole which manually opens a door is on the side of the seat, not on the right/left side of the train door. I'm not sure if this is the case with the R46, but it is for the R62s.

New, OK. But why are they blue??

If the R62 and R68 replaced all of their seats with blue, I think they'll look different, but not so bad as their silver walls work well with blue. However, a few here and there look tacky and stupid. Whatever color the seats are in the train should remain. Now, the R46, with its faux paneling and tan colored "wallpaper" walls were very cohesively design to work with its 70s color scheme. Changing that takes away what I think is one of the most attractive subway interiors and making its color scheme less cohesive. And again, a few oddly colored seats here and there, and in the case having absolutely nothing to do with the color scheme of the train's interior, looks tacky and ridiculous.

The MTA has gone full circle. Remember, the R32 through R42 had aqua interiors with aqua seats, not so different than the color used on the seats in the R142, R143 and R160. These cars went beige and black to take on the look of the 70s and 80s trains. There's no need to make just the seats blue on the 70s and 80s trains. The seats should go with the rest of the train. And never should they be mismatched in a hodgepodge fashion. Hopefully these silly blue seats are temporary.

New, OK. But why are they blue??

If the R62 and R68 replaced all of their seats with blue, I think they'll look different, but not so bad as their silver walls work well with blue. However, a few here and there look tacky and stupid. Whatever color the seats are in the train should remain. Now, the R46, with its faux paneling and tan colored "wallpaper" walls were very cohesively design to work with its 70s color scheme. Changing that takes away what I think is one of the most attractive subway interiors and making its color scheme less cohesive. And again, a few oddly colored seats here and there, and in the case having absolutely nothing to do with the color scheme of the train's interior, looks tacky and ridiculous.

The MTA has gone full circle. Remember, the R32 through R42 had aqua interiors with aqua seats, not so different than the color used on the seats in the R142, R143 and R160. These cars went beige and black to take on the look of the 70s and 80s trains. There's no need to make just the seats blue on the 70s and 80s trains. The seats should go with the rest of the train. And never should they be mismatched in a hodgepodge fashion. Hopefully these silly blue seats are temporary.

They aren't new!

Archived