About the Blue Seats on R46's...

Maserati7200

Those red/yellow/orange seats combined with the tan State of New York wallpaper just exemplified typical 70's styling for me. The blue seats/covers don't have the same warmth as the old seats. :tdown:

Oh yes- The same seats are used. In fact, I believe there is a shortage of seats for 75 foot cars (all scrap R44s have lost their seats to other cars, provided they are salvageable.)

I did not mean to imply that the seats are tossed or that they are not reinstalled. All I was saying was that removal of the seats is the first thing done for any SMS project involving the replacement of floor panels.

As I have mentioned before- This is not a plastic cover, this is paint.

The changeover to blue is not a stylistic one- It is cost related. The MTA does not wish to pay for 5 colors of paint for seats when it can just pay for one.

The primer color was shifted over to blue a few years prior. If you sand down some of the newer looking orange seats, youll find the blue underneath.

As I have mentioned before- This is not a plastic cover, this is paint.

The changeover to blue is not a stylistic one- It is cost related. The MTA does not wish to pay for 5 colors of paint for seats when it can just pay for one.

The primer color was shifted over to blue a few years prior. If you sand down some of the newer looking orange seats, youll find the blue underneath.

As usual, it all comes down to $.

As usual, it all comes down to $.

Why should it cost any more?? If I got to the paint store and specify 10 gallons of paint, I could order 5 in one color and 5 in another. So long as it is the same grade of paint, it'll cost the same.

This argument is bulderdash. Someone wanted to standardize the color of the seats to blue for some odd reason.

Fewer colors means you do not have to order as much paint. Standardization is certainly capable of saving money.

Furthermore, less labor cost- theyre painting them entirely blue. Much less effort than using 2-3 colors on a specific bench.

Something doesn't make sense. You are replacing seats on the R44, R46, R62, and R68. They all have something in common. They all have beige seats. Buy beige paint then. Lots of it. What's with blue primer on beige. Makes no sense. The retiring cars have black painted seats, the middle aged cars have beige seats, the newest cars blue seats. We're not replacing seats on the newest cars, not for awhile. Doesn't matter that much about the orange and yellow, if the seats on these cars whose seats are being replaced are beige, they'll actually match what is already there and not look like a jarring mistake with a few here and there a totally mismatched different color and looking like patchwork and making trains that are being SMSd look tacky inside.

Well, someone chose an odd periwinkle blue for whatever reason. By the time the R142, R143 and R160 seats are being replaced maybe that same person will choose beige or red as their paint choice. :(

For the R46 it looks weird. But for the R62/A and the R68/A, I really think they should update the entire interior, not just the seats.

Exactly. If you are going to paint one of the seats, paint them all. If you are going to make one wall white or silver or whatever color you choose, do all of the walls, not just one or two. Do the whole interior, not patchwork.

The R62s and some of the R68s have lots of scratches and sometimes huge dents on their walls. This needs addressing. The seats actually seem OK for the most part.

Something doesn't make sense. You are replacing seats on the R44, R46, R62, and R68. They all have something in common. They all have beige seats. Buy beige paint then. Lots of it. What's with blue primer on beige. Makes no sense. The retiring cars have black painted seats, the middle aged cars have beige seats, the newest cars blue seats. We're not replacing seats on the newest cars, not for awhile. Doesn't matter that much about the orange and yellow, if the seats on these cars whose seats are being replaced are beige, they'll actually match what is already there and not look like a jarring mistake with a few here and there a totally mismatched different color and looking like patchwork and making trains that are being SMSd look tacky inside.

Well, someone chose an odd periwinkle blue for whatever reason. By the time the R142, R143 and R160 seats are being replaced maybe that same person will choose beige or red as their paint choice. :(

UGH.

How many times do I have to say that the seats were not replaced?

NO SEATS ARE REPLACED. "NEW" Seats come from scrapped cars. While they are labeled while outside the car as to what car they belong to, they can, and occasionally will be swapped from car to car.

THE COLOR IS NOT A COVERING, unless you consider paint to be a "covering"

The R142 seats have been being repainted since the cars were delivered, much like R44-68 car seats have been(as have all R26-42 seats). The goal now is to just use one color, fleetwide.

I'm not sure it's a simple re-paint, because the seats are fiberglass. Means a lot of surface prep work. You can't just add paint you have to strip the old stuff off first or the new paint will just come off. I'm pretty sure it's some kind of pigmented resin mix, not the traditional paint you guy in cans.

Maybe they are just new seats. B)

- A

The seats are sandblasted prior to repainting to make them smooth for proper finish and for the proper adhesion of the new paint. I don't know the precise nature of the paint, but as the splotches some of my jeans demonstrate, it is painted on in liquid form.

I can assure you that these are NOT new seats, But for some reason, I have a feeling that you're just pulling my leg by now B)

The seats are sandblasted prior to repainting to make them smooth for proper finish and for the proper adhesion of the new paint. I don't know the precise nature of the paint, but as the splotches some of my jeans demonstrate, it is painted on in liquid form.

I can assure you that these are NOT new seats, But for some reason, I have a feeling that you're just pulling my leg by now B)

OK, we'll say the seats are refurbished. I understand the cost savings part. Don't agree with it. You have only two different colors for seats that need maintaining. Beige for the most part, and for some of the most recent cars, periwinkle blue. Go with beige, not blue, at least for now. Standardizing makes sense on elements that are either unseen or similar to each model. But trains from two different eras can be done by either changing the interiors of the older trains to mimic the newer ones, as was done in Washington, D.C., or finding common elements to the trains and refurbishing. The way it is done now, the trains have a jarring color in them that doesn't fit. Yes, you can standardize. But it at best looks weird, and IMO, looks really bad and tacky. It's a shame because the other refurbishments, the painting of the bulkheads, even changing the floors, enhance the trains' appearance as its useful service life is prolonged. These mismatched seats really detract from the appearance, and I'm amazed that the MTA would approve something so glaringly obviously patchworked in the refurbishments of these trains.

As somebody who has seen the orange and tan seats being removed from the car, sanded down, painted blue, and reinstalled, I can assure you that they are painted. (as someone who has seen the same thing happen with the old orange and tan colors, I can assure you that such was also paint)

Also, as somebody who has had the misfortune of getting paint all over my hand by stabilizing myself on a seat which I thought was dry(but wasn't) I can assure you that it is paint of some kind, much like the orange paint that used to be on such seats.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.1; en-us; dream) AppleWebKit/525.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Mobile Safari/523.12.2)

They ARE painted! I'm riding in 5768 right now, which has 3 sets of blue seats, and you can see gashes in one of them with the orange underneath (not even sanded away).

This is just cheap glossy spray paint.

I had thought the earlier seats I had seen on the IRT were not painted over, but I'd have to see them again (they looked less glossy, and a bit lighter).

The seats on new trains are not painted at all; that's the color of the plastic.

These look tacky here, (against the earth tones), but I think they would be interesting in the silvery 68's, especially in one where they replaced the dingy yellowed light covers.

Whatever, the seats are painted and soe paint are falling off! I rode a train with the blue things falling off and orange/yellow things appearing again...

Take pics. Post them. Send them to the MTA. They should look into this.

Overall, MTA does well at servicing the cars and prolonging their usable service life. It is a 24/7 system for all? stations, and quite complex.

Archived