R160A and R160B

Luis1985

Today i was getting off a Manhattan-bound (D) Express train at Pacific St-Atlantic Av to transfer to the Manhattan-bound (R) Local train. As i was waiting, a Manhattan-bound (N) Express train pulled into the station using BOTH Alstom R160A's with the original sound and Kawasaki R160B's with the Siemens (i think thats how you spell it) sounds. are they starting to combine trains like that from now on?

Example: i know that they've been using these combination's for years with the R32/R38, R40M/R42, R68/R68A (Occasionally).

im just curious to know.:confused:

Are they going to do the same with the R160A's and R160B's?

You mean to tell me you saw an alstom/Siemens set of R160Bs or did you catch an R160A/R160B Coupling with Alstom Propulsion? Your question is a bit confusing

They couple the R160A-2s with the R160B Alstom Propulsion cars because they are the same specifications in terms of speed and motors and whatnot, just slightly different cosmetics. An alstom coupled with R160B Siemens cars is highly unknown at this point, as it only happened once.

You mean to tell me you saw an alstom/Siemens set of R160Bs or did you catch an R160A/R160B Coupling with Alstom Propulsion? Your question is a bit confusing

They couple the R160A-2s with the R160B Alstom Propulsion cars because they are the same specifications in terms of speed and motors and whatnot, just slightly different cosmetics. An alstom coupled with R160B Siemens cars is highly unknown at this point, as it only happened once.

no, i actually saw a Alstom/Siemens set of R160As/R160Bs. the 5th car were numbered 8667, then the 6th car was number 9049.

The only time you ever see R68/A coupled together is in yard moves.other then that,

it's rare to see one on the road and in service.

ive ridden it on the (:) when it used to run via West End in 2000, then i took it on the (Q) in 2001, and the (N) during weekday rush hour in 2003. those are the only times i seen an R68/R68A coupled in passenger service.

Trainfan22 reported the same thing on subchat. This happened once last year (Majinvegeta got vids) but apparently the test to see if they ran together didn't pass. If it's happening again now then either the test results changed or they're testing again to see if they can run together without problems. If they can, then that's a good thing. Compatibility is always good.

Trainfan22 reported the same thing on subchat. This happened once last year (Majinvegeta got vids) but apparently the test to see if they ran together didn't pass. If it's happening again now then either the test results changed or they're testing again to see if they can run together without problems. If they can, then that's a good thing. Compatibility is always good.

In that case, i'm scouting the Broadway line tomorrow

ive ridden it on the (:) when it used to run via West End in 2000, then i took it on the (Q) in 2001, and the (N) during weekday rush hour in 2003. those are the only times i seen an R68/R68A coupled in passenger service.

The cars look the same so you might've mistaken them.The R68's are numbered 2500-2924 while the R68A are numbered 5001-5200.

People said these mixed sets run faster. I'm not quite sure on that.

I don't. I think there's a difference in speed increase on both Propulsion sets and Siemens is the faster one. Also, there's a jerk in one of the Propulsions (forgot which one) and that will certainly lag the train.

Well, I have a scouting report. The car was NOT 9049, it was 9043. The coupling was 9043-9047 to 8663-8667 on the (N). While I was going to meet my dad, I chased down that train only to find out it went OOS. I was upset cause it would have been a new addition to my rare video collection

I don't. I think there's a difference in speed increase on both Propulsion sets and Siemens is the faster one. Also, there's a jerk in one of the Propulsions (forgot which one) and that will certainly lag the train.

Yeah, I noticed the difference in how a Siemens train would accelerate and how an Alstom train would accelerate. IMO, those two aren't compatible with each other.

Well, I have a scouting report. The car was NOT 9049, it was 9043. The coupling was 9043-9047 to 8663-8667 on the (N). While I was going to meet my dad, I chased down that train only to find out it went OOS. I was upset cause it would have been a new addition to my rare video collection

thats wat it was.

Archived