I wish

i was just thinkin' to myself, and i was wishing that i had a whole train yard to myself:

10 R142's: (1)(2)(3)

10 R142a's : (4)(5)<5>(6)<6>

5 R62a's: (7)<7>

10 R160a/b's: (A)(B)(D)(E)(F)(J)(M)(N)(Q)(W)(Z)

1 R110a: (2)

and like they all were built the exact same way as the real, and lights up like the real, and actually had real dest. signs working on them, inside and out.

wait! is it actually possible to get models like that? at all?

<6>

• 8 months later...
You can actually buy cars from the (MTA) but still same thing... I believe the subway cars starting costs automatically drop about $2,000 and for every year it'll drop $2,000, so new cost minus the years of the cars ='s to the cost you or I'll have to pay in order to have a car but I don't think you can buy any R-44 to R-160 as of now... We would need plenty more years to buy them...

What are you talking about the real subway cars?

Yes, if I would become a Doctor or CEO of some company. I would most likely puchase a full 8 car of R68 (by Westinghouse Amrail) with car #2755. And a 12 car R62 (by Bombardier and Kawasaki (6 cars each). Live near the LIRR and under negotiation, built a Track onto the LIRR and modify the car's power to accept the LIRR's voltage level.

ahh....................................ok. Good luck with that.

Yes, if I would become a Doctor or CEO of some company. I would most likely puchase a full 8 car of R68 (by Westinghouse Amrail) with car #2755. And a 12 car R62 (by Bombardier and Kawasaki (6 cars each). Live near the LIRR and under negotiation, built a Track onto the LIRR and modify the car's power to accept the LIRR's voltage level.

Ha ha ha. Ha. Ha. That's a really good one. Connect to the LIRR and you'd be subject to FRA oversight which those cars are not built to comply with because NYCT is not subject to FRA oversight.

And of course that assumes you become a CEO of some corrupt financial services company, since as a doctor you will be paying for malpractice insurance and paying off your student loans for about 10-15 years. That also assumes you invest wisely, your salary is extremely high, and that you are able to purchase many many acres of land in New York City, demolish the buildings on them, and get all of this approved by code and a city which does not want to decrease the supply of housing because they want to continually expand

Then you'll have to negotiate with the MTA to not only buy the cars but have them shipped to you and placed on your track which means that must already be built by the time the cars get there, and you'll need to know how to fix the cars and inspect track, or be willing to pay people a lot of money to do it for you...and you'll also need to get spare parts for when they break down, and stock them somewhere, and remember which ones go on which car.

You'll find that "adjusting the voltage" is a little harder than you made it sound in your post. You'll find that if you "forget" about that little detail that you're going to be using your spare motors and electrical components up quite quickly.

You'll also find out that as expensive as buying and transporting subway cars is, building a right of way and laying track is even MORE expensive.

Oh, and the R62 and R62A do not run well as a mixed train.

Oh, and if you want them to be anything more than a static display, you have to learn how to operate them. That means more than moving handles. As in you need to learn how to "turn them on" and "turn them off" (oversimplification on my part but there are things you need to do to keep your train from rolling away in your sleep and things to do to get it to move at all). Ah, almost forgot, you'll also have to become FRA certified because of, well, ya know, that whole FRA thing.

And also, I don't think LIRR is going to let you tap into their voltage quite so easily...in fact I think they would probably charge you a nice share of their electrical bill for your efforts, plus the whole FRA thing, yea thanks for coming out

Joke posts get joke responses...

I know it's a lulz post, but interesting factoid: the LIRR hasn't paid their power bill in quite a number of years.

Oh it's a "lulz" post all right, as you call it...

awwang where did you get your figures on the depreciation of a subway car? seriosely I hope your being cute about buying subway cars.

Accounting depreciation has nothing to do with the actual resale values of the cars either. The only reason it's relevant in many cases has to do with tax deductions. Subway cars depreciate much faster than he said...

Some agencies more or less give the cars away at the end of their lives since they don't have to dispose of them...but that doesn't mean they're going to transport them, that's a big cost.

Oh it's a "lulz" post all right, as you call it...

Accounting depreciation has nothing to do with the actual resale values of the cars either. The only reason it's relevant in many cases has to do with tax deductions. Subway cars depreciate much faster than he said...

Some agencies more or less give the cars away at the end of their lives since they don't have to dispose of them...but that doesn't mean they're going to transport them, that's a big cost.

well, then the transporting cost must be coverd by AWWANG. I'll do it, give me a few days on the estimate, if you want it AWWANG....

Archived