Has any one ever designed their own subway car?

• 4 months later...
I don't design cars for the NYCT subway anymore. I'll show you guys a design I made recently

Sweet, can't wait for that. Personally I want to work on a type of subway car that can bring the beloved slant design back and of course, the RFW.

I'm sure you guys are dying to see pics, so I guess I'll start:

trainpic.jpg

This train is not an automated train, obviously. The T/O enters the train from the first door and also from inside. There will be a large "RFW" view for passengers. The front is designed like a LRV. This allows for better aerodynamics (more superior to the slants).

I designed an R180 NTT for the LTA subway. I don't have a drawing for it yet but maybe one of these days I'll stop at 99 cents store and draw it up lol. Basically its a mix between the R160 and PA5, the front of it is green and it has "LTA" in big letters on the left hand side of train. It has Siemens populsion (The one the R143 used, not the one the R160B uses), A FIND, green bucket seats(Like the ones on the PA5s but green), the joystick to operate the train is on the right hand side like the R143 & R160. Its stated to replace the LTAs R30-42 Fleet, it finally passed its 30 day test and now more cars are coming in. I also created an R65 car class which is a mix between the R68 and R110B which operates in the LTA subway. On the outside, it looks just like the R110B and is in three car sets. Its SMEE and uses westinghouse populsion, it has the Brake Handle and MC seprate like the NYCTA SMEEs. It doesn't have automated anncements and no stripmaps, the seat color is light green. This fleet came into service in 1992 to replace the R10s and R16s.

I designed an R180 NTT for the LTA subway. I don't have a drawing for it yet but maybe one of these days I'll stop at 99 cents store and draw it up lol. Basically its a mix between the R160 and PA5, the front of it is green and it has "LTA" in big letters on the left hand side of train. It has Siemens populsion (The one the R143 used, not the one the R160B uses), A FIND, green bucket seats(Like the ones on the PA5s but green), the joystick to operate the train is on the right hand side like the R143 & R160. Its stated to replace the LTAs R30-42 Fleet, it finally passed its 30 day test and now more cars are coming in. I also created an R65 car class which is a mix between the R68 and R110B which operates in the LTA subway. On the outside, it looks just like the R110B and is in three car sets. Its SMEE and uses westinghouse populsion, it has the Brake Handle and MC seprate like the NYCTA SMEEs. It doesn't have automated anncements and no stripmaps, the seat color is light green. This fleet came into service in 1992 to replace the R10s and R16s.

R142s use AdTranz/Bombardier Propulsion, not Siemens. Only some R160s have them, particularly the ones by Kawasaki.

R160s use Alstom ONIX, not Bombardier/AdTranz traction motors. R143s use them.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I was talking about the Siemens propulsion though, which some R160s, most notably the Kawasaki-built ones, have.

R142s use AdTranz/Bombardier Propulsion, not Siemens. Only some R160s have them, particularly the ones by Kawasaki.

There was a R143 back in the day that used Siemens populsion as an test. Heres a recording (Not mine) on youtube of the R143 Siemens....

As you can see it sounds diffent than the Siemens populsion used on the R160B. This is how the R180 would sound like lol.

I agree! I wish that version of Siemens populsion would have been put into the 160Bs.

It's AdTranz you might be talking about. Siemens already exists on some R160s. AdTranz are only on the R142As and R143s.

It's AdTranz you might be talking about. Siemens already exists on some R160s. AdTranz are only on the R142As and R143s.

I was talking about that one trainset of R143s that had Siemens populsion a few years ago. Didn't you see the two videos that are posted in this thread of it? I know all the current R143s in service have Adtranz populsion.

I was talking about that one trainset of R143s that had Siemens populsion a few years ago. Didn't you see the two videos that are posted in this thread of it? I know all the current R143s in service have Adtranz populsion.

Yeah, I saw them. But it seems too weird. It's like you're used to seeing R143s and R160s on the (L) and the next thing you know you see a R44 which is totally out of the ordinary.

I'm sure you guys are dying to see pics, so I guess I'll start:

[iM]http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt48/HMAN_C_K/trainpic.jpg[/img]

This train is not an automated train, obviously. The T/O enters the train from the first door and also from inside. There will be a large "RFW" view for passengers. The front is designed like a LRV. This allows for better aerodynamics (more superior to the slants).

Nice work; it looks a bit like the MP 89 métro cars in Paris, especially the automated ones without cabs.

Archived