Has any one ever designed their own subway car?

I have redesigned my impression of the R179s. Basically, the interior is very similar to a pre-GOH R44, only with wood paneling instead of that tacky wallpaper, and the destination sign only faces outward. The train also includes NTT features such as automated announcements, exterior and interior LED destination signs, and FINDs. The cars are 75 feet long, coupled in ABBA sets in ascending numerical order, and assigned three-digit numbers. The controls are the same as other NTTs. Here are pics.

ACarFront.jpg

The side of the A car:

ACarSideView.jpg

And the B car:

BCarSideView.jpg

The interior of the A car, facing the cab:

ACarInteriorTowardCab.jpg

The interior of the A car, facing the back:

ACarInteriorTowardBack.jpg

The interior of the B car, facing either way:

BCarInterior.jpg

A close-up of the side destination sign (signed up as a (T)):

ExteriorSignCloseUp.jpg

And of the interior information sign:

InteriorSignCloseUp.jpg

Feedback is welcome, and if anyone wants the model, just PM me and I'll e-mail the sketchup files.

The idea for the "A" ends is to use one-way glass on the door leading into the cab; people can see in but the T/O can't see out. Properly used, it would enable railfans to see both the cab controls and the tracks ahead without the T/O needing newspapers or other crap in the window to keep the cab dark. On a side note, I also just finished an 11-car set of R188s in SketchUp. I put the cars in something similar to the pre-GOH R32 paint scheme, except instead of blue and white paint, use regular stainlass steel for much of the car and use special steel with heavy cobalt or chromium addition to turn the steel deep blue. No screenshots yet, but I am currently willing to send the models via e-mail to anyone who asks. I can send the B cars all at once, but the A cars have fully detailed cabs with control panels and are 18 to 22 MB each and thus must be sent individually. If anyone wants them they can PM me with their e-mail.

Archived