Cop Telling Me I can't Film... in my video

Maserati7200

Sorry to bring up old topic, last Saturday, when my tourist guest and I was transfering to Bx12+, when I exit at 207th St (1), employee on the train who got off at subway said, "You can't take picture of train yard."

I wasn't taking picture, tourist was.

He kept eye on us when I took picture of Bx12+ sign.

Long time ago, when (J) was terminating at Essex St, on foggy day, cops boarded and told me I cannot take picture of subway. I have MTA Rules printed on Google Document, but they said, "It means outside the subway. Not in system."

During Monday journey on $2.25/$5.50 fare hike, when I was taking picture of new farebox info on (MTA) Regional Bus, Bee-Line Bus, they told me I can't take pic.

I also remember when I was going on Weekend Shuttle Bus adventure, MTA Worker on front car of Dyre Av-bound (5)(S) said, rudefully shots "NO PHOTO!!" but I was filming and my broken Hitachi Digital camera turns off slow.

You should of made a new topic Yuki. But anyways. Seems like some cops didnt get the word out about photograpy. Or r playing stupid games and pretending its illega. Happened to a friend of mine of course..

Print this out:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2337/3544963391_7f1d30700c_b.jpg

Thats legit from the NYPD! Its like the (MTA)s one but a speical doc for NYPD.. I suggest you have that and the (MTA)s one...

I dont see any issue with taken a pic of the yard...

btw did u filed a complaint like u do sometimes?:confused:

Sorry to bring up old topic, last Saturday, when my tourist guest and I was transfering to Bx12+, when I exit at 207th St (1), employee on the train who got off at subway said, "You can't take picture of train yard."

I wasn't taking picture, tourist was.

He kept eye on us when I took picture of Bx12+ sign.

Long time ago, when (J) was terminating at Essex St, on foggy day, cops boarded and told me I cannot take picture of subway. I have MTA Rules printed on Google Document, but they said, "It means outside the subway. Not in system."

During Monday journey on $2.25/$5.50 fare hike, when I was taking picture of new farebox info on (MTA) Regional Bus, Bee-Line Bus, they told me I can't take pic.

I also remember when I was going on Weekend Shuttle Bus adventure, MTA Worker on front car of Dyre Av-bound (5)(S) said, rudefully shots "NO PHOTO!!" but I was filming and my broken Hitachi Digital camera turns off slow.

I did not run into any issues.. some MTA police cops came into the car when I was holding my mic up and they never said anything.. plus I was filming coming down a elevator and a cop was on the other side when it opened.. she did not say anything.. I packed light so no rules on me.

I did not run into any issues.. some MTA police cops came into the car when I was holding my mic up and they never said anything.. plus I was filming coming down a elevator and a cop was on the other side when it opened.. she did not say anything.. I packed light so no rules on me.

Recording a sound is nothing compared to filming. They dont care about that. But filming/photography yes for some..

Recording a sound is nothing compared to filming. They dont care about that. But filming/photography yes for some..

People notice him recording than him taking pictures. Trust me. I've been with him when he does his audio recordings, everyone in the car stares at us but when are taking pictures no one really pays attention.

People notice him recording than him taking pictures. Trust me. I've been with him when he does his audio recordings, everyone in the car stares at us but when are taking pictures no one really pays attention.

well that i didnt know.. Im guessing no one wants to look at him taken a pic is because they dont wanna be taken.. And ive seen that..

Some off duty MTA employees asked me what I was doing, I actually go to school for film, and the school was upstairs, so the cops around there know when they see us who we are. However, one of the MTA employees told me that he was sure I needed permission to film, I told him that I am allowed to film, and don't need permission as long as I dont have any lights or a tripod etc. He said "alright", although he seemed not to be convinced if that was the rules.

The other was just asking because he was concerned, but once I told him I go to school for film, he moved on.

Im going to carry the MTA rules with me. I hate when people, cops and MTA people dont know the rules themselves, and 'boo-yahing' them with the rules brings me a lot of satisfaction. lol

Some off duty MTA employees asked me what I was doing, I actually go to school for film, and the school was upstairs, so the cops around there know when they see us who we are. However, one of the MTA employees told me that he was sure I needed permission to film, I told him that I am allowed to film, and don't need permission as long as I dont have any lights or a tripod etc. He said "alright", although he seemed not to be convinced if that was the rules.

The other was just asking because he was concerned, but once I told him I go to school for film, he moved on.

Im going to carry the MTA rules with me. I hate when people, cops and MTA people dont know the rules themselves, and 'boo-yahing' them with the rules brings me a lot of satisfaction. lol

Dont just carry that, carry this special doc designed for NYPD Officers:

Since they dont have the same rules like the (MTA) and they wont believe crap from the t/a.

Both will do!

I rly dont know whats wrong with taken a picture. Come on its just a pic. Like even taking a pic of your family gets the damn cops and most T/a workers to jump in. likw wtf? Take one pic and you are in a jail cell for a day.. geez

Even taken a pic of certain buildings, most cops blast out of no where saying bs..

I know most people dont like being taken, plus pics do end up online and also suspicious which could lead to terrorist acts.. But its a picture[Depends on how its used].. Geez.. Its like Cops/Transit workers dont want railbuffs having interest in trains and buses...

Hey.. You good to take a pic as long as you dont violate the restrictions.. Such as tripods/flash..

God bless a majority of Engineers on the Amtrak who doesnt care as much and/or enjoy rail fans..

You should of made a new topic Yuki. But anyways. Seems like some cops didnt get the word out about photograpy. Or r playing stupid games and pretending its illega. Happened to a friend of mine of course..

Print this out:

Thats legit from the NYPD! Its like the (MTA)s one but a speical doc for NYPD.. I suggest you have that and the (MTA)s one...

I dont see any issue with taken a pic of the yard...

btw did u filed a complaint like u do sometimes?:confused:

I have stick printed copy of that and Photographer's Right together with presentation. I also kept (NJT) e-mail regardding photo policy also.

Yesterday, when I went to Yonkers Station, police stare at me, but did not say anything. I went to northern end of platform to take picture of PA-5, MNRR, but police did not come. When I spotted some kind of subway on overpass, I went to get closer look, and when I took pic of it, (MTA) employee was asking, "What you doing here?" when I was going to ask Yonkers Police that happened to come by for direction to Bee-Line Bus stops.

I did not Yonkers Train Station was so big, and I end up lost in Kawasaki Plant area. Streets around is public street, right?

After police told employee, "Propery lost tourist", and after he give me direction to Bus Stop, I walk through platform to train station, used restroom, and took pictures of it.

Yonkers Police did not say anything when I was taking picture of architecture.

I have stick printed copy of that and Photographer's Right together with presentation. I also kept (NJT) e-mail regardding photo policy also.

Yesterday, when I went to Yonkers Station, police stare at me, but did not say anything. I went to northern end of platform to take picture of PA-5, MNRR, but police did not come. When I spotted some kind of subway on overpass, I went to get closer look, and when I took pic of it, (MTA) employee was asking, "What you doing here?" when I was going to ask Yonkers Police that happened to come by for direction to Bee-Line Bus stops.

I did not Yonkers Train Station was so big, and I end up lost in Kawasaki Plant area. Streets around is public street, right?

After police told employee, "Propery lost tourist", and after he give me direction to Bus Stop, I walk through platform to train station, used restroom, and took pictures of it.

i would have locked you up lol

Usually taken pics on weekdays suck, especcialy since there are more cops and workers active.. I prefer the weekend. I went to Yonkers on Sunday and there were no wokers around. Only about 2 people at the southern end of the Bronx/Manhattan and Grand central/Penn bound platform..

Did you caught the R160s there?

I've noticed a lot of MTA workers like that sadly :P Some are cool if you know them personally.

Not really. It's just those who gets kicks from telling you what would be nonsense today. For all the times I have railfanned, I only got stopped twice:

The first one the (E) @ West 4th Street way before the NYPD issued the directive. I was videotaping the whole (E) line and I only needed from there on to have the whole line.

The other time, I was at Coney Island and the T/O had the cab door wide opened while he was talking to his other co-worker. I went to take a pic, but he closed the door. It's self explanatory.

All the other times, I've been fine with everyone. With some, I actually get to have a chat with them and they would care less about me taking pics. A time like this was at the beginning of the month when I did the Astoria EXP on Wednesday I believe. Two cops boarded at Queensboro Plaza when I was recording at the cab door. They didn't do or say anything to me at all.

Usually taken pics on weekdays suck, especcialy since there are more cops and workers active.. I prefer the weekend. I went to Yonkers on Sunday and there were no wokers around. Only about 2 people at the southern end of the Bronx/Manhattan and Grand central/Penn bound platform..

Did you caught the R160s there?

Also since I got on (1) too early for W1T 13:50, so I got off at 207th St and there was no problem when I was taking picture of train yard because MTA Employee wasn't there. I also took pic of SDNY.

215th St was not good place to take pic b/c rear was little far.

Archived