Should cell phones be ban on 'commutter trains like NJ Transit Metro North and LIRR

Shortline Bus

I was not sure where this topic goes so i place it here. What you view guys on 'excessive use' of cell phones on trains? I am sure at least 98% of you on these boards have them.

Feel free to also dicuss your experience on NYC subways too. It's not that bad on them since much of the ride at least in Manhattan is underground and thus mobile service in the NYC tubes is at least a few years away.

My question is should they be banned? I am really starting to get annoyed as a regular Metro North and occasionally NJ Transit customer( i dont ride LIRR enough to comment there)some of these customers goes way overboard with it.

I dont mind a short few minutes a pasneger chatting. However i really dislike, lenghty chats that talk 'personal info' from their sex lives lol to their time in a prison lol. (I am serious)

one time last summer on a crowded MNRR weekend train to GCT a woman the entire never kept quite from Beacon as she cursed every 2nd word about 'everything' and nothing in her chat. Personally the weekend ridership on MNRR is more 'rowdy' and talkaltive since alot of ppl. from the 5 boros use those lines.

On Metro north i like my privacy and rarely talk on the train. I usually listen to my MP3 Player or sometimes asleeep on a late evening train home.

So do you support a semi ban on cell phone usage or as has Amtrak has done create a 'quiet car' in which 1 car of a full length train, no cell phone are allowed? What you guys think? Thanks.

Banning is a bit excessive in my opinion. If the person around you is bothering you with their conversation you have the option of confronting them about it yourself or getting the train crew to do it. Usually getting the train crew to handle it is pretty successful when it comes to that so I see no reason why cell phones should be banned on commuter trains. You wanna talk like greyhound or something then that's a different story or at least those ridiculous chirping phones (i'm sure everybody here knows what I'm talking about.)

I heard about some fellas brand new TV the other day, he didn't appreciate it none too much when I called out loud if anyone wanted to go to his house and see it. B)

I'm sure LIRR is just as bad as NJT and MNRR as far as cell phone yapping. Personally I try not to talk on the phone on the train, I hate being "that guy".

Banning is a bit excessive in my opinion. If the person around you is bothering you with their conversation you have the option of confronting them about it yourself or getting the train crew to do it. Usually getting the train crew to handle it is pretty successful when it comes to that so I see no reason why cell phones should be banned on commuter trains. You wanna talk like greyhound or something then that's a different story or at least those ridiculous chirping phones (i'm sure everybody here knows what I'm talking about.)

Good point buddy. Either i move to another seat if person is 'talking too much' or if its crowded i tell the conductor/train crew. Still i m A PAYING CUSTOMER TOO and if a right to a somehwhat 'quiet' ride. Provided the call is for a few minutes and it's 'pg' rated not with any curse words or sexual content i am fine with it.

If person wants to chat all the time IMO let them

use their car.:mad:

No More Bubble wrapping of life! Rather than outright banning everything they need to encourage common sense, moderation, and respect for fellow passengers. Then they will get where they are going.

The day a conductor can tell the person blabbing on loudly about how drunk they got or how ridiculous the person's friend who's not there is to hang up the phone and be considerate of other passengers and threaten them with removal from the train without having to worry about a lawsuit is the day this situation improves.

there are a lot of people in this country that need a heaping helping of humble pie and to be put in their place PUBLICLY and learn a thing or two about decency, and they need to not have a lawsuit as a crutch to fall back on. the day that happens is the day they grow up, become considerate, and start taking responsibility for their actions good or bad.

Yeah the thing with that paying customer argument is that it works both ways. They're paying too which gives them rights as well. Besides is a super rare occasion where someone is asked to lower their voice on a cell phone conversation or asked to tone their language and the person refuses to do so. Even then the crew usually has ways to handle it. It's just one of those things you have to deal with. Besides it's not like those people are coming home with you. You'll likely never see them again or if you do you'll know not to sit next to them.

(NJT) & :septa: have a policy where if someone complains, train crew checks, if they believe it to be too loud of a conversation the crew member will stand there & if the person persists they get the boot at the next station. :cool: they have been cracking down far more in recent weeks as well.

What i'd like to see is more non-smoking signs on platforms at every station. It's illegal, and people still do it. I'm allergic to cigarette smoke, its bad for you, plus who wants to smell that crap on a crisp clear beautiful day? :mad:

What really bothers me on the train is the people who talk loud (to others in their group) as if they need other people to hear & people who don't know how to put luggage in the racks & control their children. Also people who put stuff on the seat even though all transit rules stipulate all available seats be open for any passenger to sit in. Then there are the people who BLAST music in their headphones. Not only do i likely not want to listen to the music, but damn do they want to go deaf or what?:confused::(

- A

(NJT) & :septa: have a policy where if someone complains, train crew checks, if they believe it to be too loud of a conversation the crew member will stand there & if the person persists they get the boot at the next station. :cool: they have been cracking down far more in recent weeks as well.

What i'd like to see is more non-smoking signs on platforms at every station. It's illegal, and people still do it. I'm allergic to cigarette smoke, its bad for you, plus who wants to smell that crap on a crisp clear beautiful day? :mad:

What really bothers me on the train is the people who talk loud (to others in their group) as if they need other people to hear & people who don't know how to put luggage in the racks & control their children. Also people who put stuff on the seat even though all transit rules stipulate all available seats be open for any passenger to sit in. Then there are the people who BLAST music in their headphones. Not only do i likely not want to listen to the music, but damn do they want to go deaf or what?:confused::(

- A

Metsfan did :septa: not begin a 'trial' of a quiet no cell talk on several of their regional lines just like Amtrak 'quiet cars"?

Metsfan did :septa: not begin a 'trial' of a quiet no cell talk on several of their regional lines just like Amtrak 'quiet cars"?

Yes, however, they have been changing the announcements emphasizing minimal & polite use of electronic devices. Several other regular riders have confirmed this on other routes.

The trenton train is often only 3-4 cars, so having a quiet car..... not really 100% practical because there's only so much room for folks who dont want to be in the "quiet car".

The current trial is on the R5 line i believe.

- A

- A

I wish MNRR/LIRR would enforce the 'warning' and if neccesary 'remove' rowdy riders that dont want to lower their voices on cell chats.

Good point Metsfan on the smoking on platforms issue. I dont if it true or not but i get impression that the MNRR conductors/police only think they can go after customers who smoke on board the trains. I also have breathing problems aka a mild form of asthama.:(

IN NYC Subways however the NYPD enforce that rule both at station platforms and on board trains. 20 years ago when my Dad still lived in NYC he had to pay a$50 fine for being caught smoking by undercover NYPD cop on a station platform.

Cell phone usage by far though, is the biggest issue i have a biggest problem though as a Metro North train rider though.

- A

hahah im one of those people who blasts his iphone music. But usually when there's something going on that I really don't care to hear. Otherwise I set it at reasonable volume. On the issue of smoking...I've never actually run across anyone doing it on subway platforms but there's always someone walking in front of me smoking on the sidewalk and i try to swing around him and get in front

Some of the conductors on the MNRR have made announcements for passengers to be considerate of their fellow passengers and to keep cellphone usage to a minimum or their voices while using them low.

I ride MNRR 'reguarly' at least 3-4 times a month and i rarely heard that announcement. On non M7 cars 95% of time, the conductors only announce the station stop and that all.

I am thinking that you'll be seeing a huge crackdown on train riding etiquette rule breakers as transit tries to attract new riders, and make peoples trips more relaxing, and less like a kindergarten playground.

In the gilded rail PRR days, if someone was irritating, they got the BOOT!

- A

Archived