Sound question

wfisher

Does anyone know what that distinct sound is on the newer IRT 4/5/6 subway cars that they make when the start up? It has a very distinct sequence of sounds that those cars/trains make when they accelerate. What is that sound? Thanks.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

I think he means the proplusion of the trains. The (4)(5) and (6) all uses the R142 trains. The regular R142 has Alstom proplusion. (The same as on the R160A and some R160B trains) They all have R142As that run on the line and they use Adtranz propulsion. (The same one that the R143s uses) Each proplusion system is different. This is why it gives the train its distinct sound.

That sound as the others said is the propulsion sound. The (2) and (5)<5> have Bombardier R142 cars, with Alstom Onix propulsion. They sound as some have said, like a violin being stung across three times, then two more. The (4) has these also but not all of their NTT trains are R142. Those numbers are in the 1000's, and 6000's-7210. The (6) is all Kawasaki R142A, and the rest of the NTT on the (4) is Kawasaki R142A also. Their numbers are from 7211 up beyond 7800. These are the ones that sound like a female, or "unique" type of male screaming. They have Adtranz propulsion on them.

There are other ways to tell them apart, but they're usually known to those who operate them.........

It's not the propulsion system that gives the trains their sounds, it's moreover with their traction motors. Take an R32 for example, it uses a GE propulsion but uses Westinghouse motors. This makes the R32s sound like an R33 with the deep growl sound rather than an R46. On the other hand, the R44s, R62As R68/As use both Westinghouse propulsion(R68/As and R62As have a newer one developed together with Adtranz) and Westinghouse motors. This gives an extremely deep growl as well as the whirling sound(mostly applies to R44s and R68s) afterwards. The R32s and R42s don't have the whirling sound b/c they use GE propulsions.

Regarding the R142A propulsion system, Adtranz developed it along with Bombardier. This is why Wikipedia states it as a Bombardier Propulsion system.

I love the acceleration and deceleration sounds on the R32/R44/R62A/R68s. Something about them just sounds really cool. Always wanted to know what kinda mechanics were behind them.
That acceleration sound is the classic acceleration sound in the system; The R1-R38 all had it. I'm glad that the R68/As have them since they are meant to last for a while. The R62As on the 7 and 1 really reminds of the Redbirds when they used to rumble the lines. Unfortunately, Westinghouse propulsions are notorious for malfunctions. That's why Adtranz and Westinghouse partnered up to develop a new propulsion system for the R62As and R68/As, which replaced the original Westinghouse Propulsion systems when both fleets came out in the 80s.

do you think we'll see that propulsion system in any newer cars?

I highly doubt that the future NTTs would have them. Besides, Westinghouse is gone and Adtranz blended with Bombardier. MTA would definitely not use GE b/c they are quite loud and are not as efficient as Alstom or Siemens. As for the R179s, I hope they use Alstom over Siemens. Despite the fact that Siemens Propulsions accelerate fast, they are kind of loud at times.

Archived