MTH 'DAP' R-32 Subway Set Review (O Scale)

Each Year MTH ( Mikes Train House ) produces a certain amount of items and/or specialty items that are not published in the regular everyday catalogs. Some items are produced and are printed in a special catalog that goes by the name D.A.P.- Dealer Appreciation Program. What that means is each dealer has the opportunity to purchase only 2 of these items. Many dealers will buy certain DAP items from other dealers because some dealers are fearful that these certain items may not sell. For example, if a store in North Dakota has 2 extra R-32 Subway Sets, and a store in New York City is looking to purchase more R-32 sets, then the NY Store will buy them from the North Dakota dealer; hence making more New York model railroaders :D .

Set: R-32 DAP with Graffiti

Producer: Mikes Train House

Road Name: Metropolitan Transportation Authority - New York City Transit

Release Date: Supposed to be 2003 / Shipped April 2005

Scale: O gauge-MTH Premier Line

Route: (D)

North Terminal: Norwood-205 St, Grand Concourse, Bronx

South Terminal: Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue

Via: 6 Av - Brighton Express

The MTH DAP R-32 Subway set is a set thats set to be running on the old Brighton (D) line in the year 1989-1990. Its also right before the GE Overhaul came in and rebuilt the R-32's as to what they look like today. The doors are colored blue with graffiti( ill come back to that after) 'EXP' / 'LCL' indicators are on top of each car, chains across the storm doors, silver streaks run the sides of each car. These cars are about 15 inches long each; usually run a 6 car train on them; the 4 car R-32 DAP (D) train, with 2 R-32 (N) train cars( from the original R-32 set back 2000). Set runs extremely well, with 6 cars, makes really tight curves as well. There was no side "TA" logo for a specific reason which is explained below...

MTH has had the MTA license to produce such immaculate subway sets since 1998. However things took a turn for the worst. When MTH brought up the idea to first produce an R-17 blue striped subway set with graffiti all over it, the MTA flamed the MTH for this. Now In my opinion, I can understand where the MTA is coming from, BUT MTH was only trying to re-inact a set that was in fact; true. Graffiti was all over the subways in the mid to late 70s/ & 80s. MTA warned MTH that if the set was still produced they would lose their license to produce items with the "TA" "M" or "MTA" logo on anything.

MTH went AHEAD with everything; produced the R-17 blue striped subway set with graffiti, and right after that, MTA pulled their license agreement from MTH. Mth CAN/COULD still produce NYC Subway items but without the MTA logo on anything. ( Lionel now holds down the MTA license) During the same time as the R-17 set was shown off in catalogs, the R-32 DAP set was going to be in the process of being produced.

Since the R-17 set was produced and put out on the market, MTH was not going to not cancel the R-32 order.

In the end, MTH still has NO license agreement with the MTA, But is continually producing NYC Subway cars which are still at a fair price ( rising eveyrday though), and great detail, and sound.

This rates as my top favorite set , probably because its a '(D) on the Brighton' lol, but the sound package is great too; here are the announcements:

This stop, 205th St, Grand Concourse, this is the last stop

Fordham Road

161 St Yankee Stadium, change here here for the number (4) woodlawn jerome train on the upper level

47 St Rockefeller ctr, radio city music hall

OR

change here for (F) trains to Queens

W 4 St, washington square Park

Or

change here for (A),(B),(C),(E),(F),&(Q6) trains

Prospect Park, Brooklyn, change here for the (S) Franklin Av Shuttle

Sheepshead Bay

Brighton Beach

Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue

Pro's:

Details, rivets, chains, gates, sounds

Con's:

Manual Operating opening doors. There is a little black lever in which the doors can be opened, but these doors are a pain to mess around with if they ever fall apart. Tiny little magnet sections hold the doors closed on the inside of the cars.

Out of 5 stars:

2 Motorman figures included sitting in the 1st car cab and the last car cab for the return trip.

DSCN2098.jpg

R-32 'N' train

DSCN7032.jpg

Older shots from my layout in Staten Island / July 2006

DSCN0351.jpg

DSCN0352.jpg

DSCN0353.jpg

DSCN0354.jpg

Quick video:

This set was going for $449.00 - $ 549.00, when it came out.

Today, you may actually find it for a steal price at around $390.00-$449.00 which is still very good.

Any Questions, feel free to ask; till next week with another review-->;)

Zach

Hi, Brighton.

Thanks for the excellent review of the DAP R32 set. Perhaps the folks at MTA should take a look at some of my mid-80's IRT photos. Maybe that would get them to amend their position regarding models decorated with graffiti.

I have seen discussion on the O Gauge Railroading Forum regarding the application of available aftermarket stickers to enhance the accuracy of equipment released by MTH following the loss of the license. These include TA logos and proper route signage. Do you have any experience with these stickers?

Thanks,

Earle

Hi, Brighton.

Thanks for the excellent review of the DAP R32 set. Perhaps the folks at MTA should take a look at some of my mid-80's IRT photos. Maybe that would get them to amend their position regarding models decorated with graffiti.

I have seen discussion on the O Gauge Railroading Forum regarding the application of available aftermarket stickers to enhance the accuracy of equipment released by MTH following the loss of the license. These include TA logos and proper route signage. Do you have any experience with these stickers?

Thanks,

Earle

You hit the nail on the head Earle. Thats the point MTH was trying to make to MTA in reguards to producing the graffiti set. Graffiti for the most part, was the subway system from the mid to late 70's and most of the 80s. MTH only wanted to re-inact history. The MTA basically had a sh*t fit over that.

As to the stickers; the answer is yes. After I purchased the R-17 Graffiti subway set, and the DAP R-32 Subway set, there was no "TA" or "M" transit authority logos printed on the side of the cars. By this time, I was still a newbie over at MTJ, i was seeking some answer and help. Luckily there is a gentleman over there who had the printing machine, and decal maker. So I went ahead and purchased 8 "TA" decal logos for th R-32's, and 12 "M" logos for the R-17 Subway set.

When the R-32 DAP set arrived, many modelers were extremely frustrated with the first car 'theme' that was supposed to be the "TA" logo. It was a round yellow bullet , with a smiley face painted in black. I would not stand for that on my set, so here is one of the "TA" logos, covering up the face, and placed where it should be ; always:

DSCN2243.jpg

Hope this helps Earle ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been doing some research on how the doors on this MTH R-32 train opens. No one can give me a straight answer.

Is there a lever or switch somewhere on each car that when it is activated, it opens and closes ALL doors on the car?

This question is for anyone who owns this MTH R-32 train with the opening doors. If you have a picture, that would be great.

Thanking all,

DEE

How are you Dee, and welcome to New York City Transit Forums!:)

Glad to have you aboard.

Now in reguards to the MTH R32 model, the doors open by moving a little black plastic lever under the car itself. Moving it back and forth opens and closes the doors. There is no electrical activation to open any of the doors if that was what you were questioning:confused:

However, opening and closing the doors on these cars is a pain in the ass lol. Im just being blunt, heres why

The doors are held together by a tiny magnet behind the top tip of the doors; playing with it constantly separates the magnet and then its difficult to then close the gap. Another reason, is that the doors are sitting on ALl PLastic spring tracks, and those can be a pain to keep repairing if they fall off.

All in all, the doors on this set ( or at least on mine) are terrible. i used to keep the doors open for realism when I would terminate my R-32 into my station, but for a while now, they stay shut, and I never have any reason to open them. However once the bills are paid off lol , I will add people ( homies) inside most of these sets, so that will probably be the next time I open the doors again. Hope this helps Dee:cool:

Zach

• 1 month later...
Have they ever modeled the modern sets (i.e. R-142, 143, 160)? If so, they'll look great on my desk! :(

The most recent set that was released was a set of R-62's, with sound an signage for the (4) Train:

DSCN1859.jpg

DSCN1854.jpg

MTH Will in fact be producing a 5 car set of R-142A's; Probably with sound and signage for the (6) Line:

This is the mock up model from the catalog-

MTH_142A.jpg

Zach

Hey Zach that is an awesome set, I was thinking about doing what you did in photos 9-11 all around my room and make it operational. Is that possible? Also, when are the R-40 Slants and R-142's coming out? Thanks

Yeah, Pictures 9 through 11, were taken at my old residency when I lived on Staten Island. They were on "display tracks", that I mounted on my wall. But sure, you can definitely build a shelf layout throughout your room, and make it work.

The R-40 Slants were SUPPOSED to be out by this month (December 2007), but now I hear, they were pushed back till March of 2008.

The R-142A's are Supposedly due out next month - January 2008

Zach

Zach,

Great video.

I'd love to have a layout but I already have too much other stuff in the house.

Do you know if anyone makes something to make the R-62 front end signage look more realistic?

I love those trains and would consider buying one just for display purposes. But only if I could get the signage right.

Paul (R)(4)

just reccieved my R-32 set today,im pleased for the most part, my only problem is...in one of the cars 2 sets of doors have one of their windows missing:( (had the same issue with the R-12's) but other than that,im happy:).....now all I have to do is hunt for some M logos to cover up that smiley face

• 2 months later...