R32 E train

Bracamonte

I think it's dumb to have R32s on the E. If you are waiting at 8th Av. for a local and see a R32, most likely it's a C. Very rarely it's anything else. 1 dumb R32 train on the E just spoils it and makes people look at the small signs to see what it is. If its an R40M/R42 it's an E or if it is an R160 it is an E, you know they aren't Cs. There are enough R42/R40s in Jamaica to not have to run the R32s anymore on the E.

I think it's dumb to have R32s on the E. If you are waiting at 8th Av. for a local and see a R32, most likely it's a C. Very rarely it's anything else. 1 dumb R32 train on the E just spoils it and makes people look at the small signs to see what it is. If its an R40M/R42 it's an E or if it is an R160 it is an E, you know they aren't Cs. There are enough R42/R40s in Jamaica to not have to run the R32s anymore on the E.

It's not necessarily dumb. It's just illogical. But then again, the (MTA) is probably one of the most mysterious and rarely logical agencies on the planet, apart from the city bus agencies in Poland...:(

Wow, people will actually have to look at the signs of the train. Hope they don't hurt their brains in the process.

it is not dumb. in fact, i think it is a very good idea to have at least one set of R32s on the (E). it makes riding that line fun (and I have caught that one set several times in my life), where as having nothing but crappy R40M/42s would be a living nightmare. the (E) line was the signature line for the sleek and shiny Brightliners since 1987 and original plans were to have all R42s at Jamaica go to Pitkin and R160s go on the (F)(R) first so that all remaining R32s run on the (E) and only the (E). this all changed after it was proven that R40/40M/42s were not safe to run on the (C), but at least now the R32s are staying for at least another year. hooray for me!

it is not dumb. in fact, i think it is a very good idea to have at least one set of R32s on the (E). it makes riding that line fun (and I have caught that one set several times in my life), where as having nothing but crappy R40M/42s would be a living nightmare. the (E) line was the signature line for the sleek and shiny Brightliners since 1987 and original plans were to have all R42s at Jamaica go to Pitkin and R160s go on the (F)(R) first so that all remaining R32s run on the (E) and only the (E). this all changed after it was proven that R40/40M/42s were not safe to run on the (C), but at least now the R32s are staying for at least another year. hooray for me!

Fun for you and a few other R32 cult fans. Annoying for most of us. You can ride R32s all day on the C if you'd like. Unfortunately, there's still many of these things left on the F, where they are excruciating due to their high noise level and agitated ride.

No, the E was the priority for the R160s, the F thing had to do with putting them in CI yard. When it was determined that Jamaica yard was to get the R160 the priority was to put the 60 foot R160 on the E. And your reference for the E is short. The E was known for running the slants, along with the F, before the other lines took them, but by the 1980s, the E was the pride of the line. The first line to have graffiti-free train, the initiative taken by then MTA chief David Gunn. The trains were cleaned more often than other lines. They ran the modern trains at the time, the R46. Then the Fs were cleaned up. The R32s were replacement trains that took over from the R46s and ran on both the E and F lines when the R46s were being rebuilt. Then, someone decided the E had better dwell times with the R32 and that's the only reason why they ran on the E. And that was around 1990, not 1987. In 1987 most E trains were R46s. That's why the R32 feels like a downgrade of the line for those of us that know the line over the years, and I've been on the E since the 1960s and remember R1 type trains on the line and when the R38 debuted on the line.

The R32 is soon history on the E. It'll thankfully be gone by the summer, as well as the R40/R42 and the E will run exclusively R160s. Just like older trains (than the R143) are gone on the L line.

Fun for you and a few other R32 cult fans. Annoying for most of us. You can ride R32s all day on the C if you'd like. Unfortunately, there's still many of these things left on the F, where they are excruciating due to their high noise level and agitated ride.

No, the E was the priority for the R160s, the F thing had to do with putting them in CI yard. When it was determined that Jamaica yard was to get the R160 the priority was to put the 60 foot R160 on the E. And your reference for the E is short. The E was known for running the slants, along with the F, before the other lines took them, but by the 1980s, the E was the pride of the line. The first line to have graffiti-free train, the initiative taken by then MTA chief David Gunn. The trains were cleaned more often than other lines. They ran the modern trains at the time, the R46. Then the Fs were cleaned up. The R32s were replacement trains that took over from the R46s and ran on both the E and F lines when the R46s were being rebuilt. Then, someone decided the E had better dwell times with the R32 and that's the only reason why they ran on the E. And that was around 1990, not 1987. In 1987 most E trains were R46s. That's why the R32 feels like a downgrade of the line for those of us that know the line over the years, and I've been on the E since the 1960s and remember R1 type trains on the line and when the R38 debuted on the line.

The R32 is soon history on the E. It'll thankfully be gone by the summer, as well as the R40/R42 and the E will run exclusively R160s. Just like older trains (than the R143) are gone on the L line.

the (F) cars are also maintained by Jamaica Yard. having the R32s on the (F) makes the Culver Line fun as well unless you have a hatred for the sexy brightliners for reasons i do not know. the R38s and slants debuted on the (F), but there were some photos of them on the (E). R32s look better on the (E) than R46s, so do not say it is a downgrade. R46s are not allowed on the (E) because of fewer doors and overcrowding. the (E) riders are very inconsistent. when the report saying the (E) had the worst air-conditioning of all lines was released last summer, its riders they wanted cars that have good air-conditioning and not the R32s, so (NYCT) put some R42s there, but then riders said they hated the R42s because they are rusted, ugly, and uncomfortable (and i do not blame them for saying that). that is when (NYCT) was planning to send all R42s in the system to Pitkin so they only run on the (A)(C), but then (C) riders about the position problems the R40/40M/42s presented, so that is why the car assignment looks the way it are today with (E) riders suffering with crappy cars. i know the (E) will be fully R160s with the (Q) in the summer, which is a good idea for both lines. only then will i resume riding the (E) line.

but then (C) riders [complained] about the position problems the R40/40M/42s presented

It wasn't that, it was more like passenger injuries on the platform had shot up due to people running the extended distance for the train and falling. It had nothing to do with complaints and everything to do with reducing liability.

...i know the (E) will be fully R160s with the (Q) in the summer, which is a good idea for both lines. only then will i resume riding the (E) line.

I can't begin to tell you how nonsensical this statement is. Most people just want a hot train in the winter or cool one in the summer, a seat (if possible), and timely service. Only a foamer would alter his commute because of how the train looks aesthetically.

You REALLY need to get out more.

that is just a nickname i give to the R32s, like how i call the R42s and R44s "you know what". i also have nicknames for other cars like the R38s, R40 slants, R68/68As, and all the new high tech cars. maybe i should go out more and ride the R32s as much as i can.

The R42s should've gone to the B, but MTA wanted to simplify the work by having less variety in each yard. By now, the A could've gotten R68As instead of the R46s.

NO, NO, NO!!! R42s do not belong on the (:) (though i must admit, the Coney Island R42s were not as bad as their MK counterparts. they were not as rusted and did not get beaten up or vandalized constantly. riding them was enjoyable for me). R42s should have stayed on the (C). the (C) is the only line in which R42s look good on and had it not been for the R32s there today, i would not ride that line because it is slow, crowded, and passes through unsafe neighborhood. R40 slants should have stayed on the (:) while R68/68As go on the (A). that way, everyone wins because the (B) needs speed and the (A) needs high performing cars, but now (B) riders have to deal with a longer commute while (A) riders suffer with old cars that are on the brink of collapsing on top of them. just to get back to topic, i felt all R32s should have stayed on the (E) where they belong.

NO, NO, NO!!! R42s do not belong on the (:) (though i must admit, the Coney Island R42s were not as bad as their MK counterparts. they were not as rusted and did not get beaten up or vandalized constantly. riding them was enjoyable for me). R42s should have stayed on the (C). the (C) is the only line in which R42s look good on and had it not been for the R32s there today, i would not ride that line because it is slow, crowded, and passes through unsafe neighborhood. R40 slants should have stayed on the (:) while R68/68As go on the (A). that way, everyone wins because the (B) needs speed and the (A) needs high performing cars, but now (B) riders have to deal with a longer commute while (A) riders suffer with old cars that are on the brink of collapsing on top of them. just to get back to topic, i felt all R32s should have stayed on the (E) where they belong.

Are you serious? R42 CI's had some of the worst brakes on cars in the system. T/O's HATED those cars by the time they were all taken out of service.

As for the R32's, all of the Phase II's were retired when issues surfaced with the NY Air Brake equipment they had. When the Phase I's were sent to Jamaica to cover (E) service, it was only logical that something had to go to the (A) and (C) lines to make up for lost cars, and with the 4 car R160 sets coming into ENY, that was the R40/R42 equipment. Someone overestimated the intelligence of the public when they allowed 8 car R40/R42 sets, which have to stop at the 10 car marker on 8th avenue because of the car's design and where the conductor can work from...which leaves a open space at the rear of the platform. Then people run...and get hurt... After that, they realized they couldn't run 8 car R40/R42 combinations. Since the (C) was to be still 8 cars, no more R40/R42 on the (C). Means they had to move things around to make sure that happened. The rest is history.

Car moves are temporary, it's amazing how many people chase them down and try to figure out what's going on. Rumors hardly ever prove true, and today's news is tomorrow's old hat...it's temporary knowledge...heck, it's all transient anyway...the old SMEEs are going no matter what anyone thinks, because it's time...they will save em and run em on occastional fan trips so it's not the end of the world. life goes on, and all R32-R42 will be gone someday...it doesn't really matter what order it happens...and why do people keep bringing up how cars "look" on certain lines? Does that even matter? (Note, I already know the answer to that question, I'm just asking it anyway). These are subway cars not chicks, it doesn't matter how they "are dressed"...

FlushingExpress, do all of us a favor and stop ridding the Subway system. One less space taken up by whiner, so that people that actually have a NEED of using the Subway regardless of what trains they get can use them more comfortably.

Let's not forget that to some of us this subway system is a bit of a hobby as well so design to us actually does matter. Now how much it matters though is the real question. I personally like the R32 for their overall appearance and performance. I find it fun to sit in the front car and look out the front window. Also to keep in mind some serious construction went into making all of these trains new and old so it is only right that there be people who appreciate them. It's appreciation for workmanship, performance and for personal experiences that people may have had on them.

Look, I love the subway system as much as anyone else in the forum but I honestly don't care much about "pretty" trains. As long as I can get from point A to point B with all my limbs intact, it's all that matters. I just don't get FlushingExpress's obsession with avoiding lines just because it's not a train he doesn't like. I don't like the R44s yet I ride the (A) every day. Why? Because it beats taking the (L) all the way from Manhattan and as such, I get to work faster.

Look, I love the subway system as much as anyone else in the forum but I honestly don't care much about "pretty" trains. As long as I can get from point A to point B with all my limbs intact, it's all that matters. I just don't get FlushingExpress's obsession with avoiding lines just because it's not a train he doesn't like. I don't like the R44s yet I ride the (A) every day. Why? Because it beats taking the (L) all the way from Manhattan and as such, I get to work faster.

Well that's your opinion and its perfectly valid. While I can say that Flushing's extreme opinion of subway cars is bit annoying to hear, at the same time it's his opinion. I care just as much about getting from point A to point B but stopping to appreciate the trains themselves makes it so that the journey is a bit more enjoyable for me. As for FlushingExpress...well fine, we get it. He doesn't like to ride certain cars. He should leave it alone at this point and stop flooding this forum with unnecessary hate.

i felt all R32s should have stayed on the (E) where they belong.

What? R32s don't belong on any particular line. The C needs R32s or R38s because of the conductor positioning. Otherwise, cars are assigned to certain lines. The E is best served with some of the most reliable cars the MTA can run due to its high ridership and the MTA thinks 60-footers work best. So it now has R160s servicing half the line and will be all R160 by mid year or so.

From what I can determine, E riders were fed up with with R32s. Especially after the summer of broken a/c. The E is a major line that finally has up-to-date rolling stock. Other major lines that need equipment upgrades, IMO, are the A and F (not the R46 so much as the R32, R40 slants, R42s that service the line presently).

From what I can determine, E riders were fed up with with R32s. Especially after the summer of broken a/c. The E is a major line that finally has up-to-date rolling stock. Other major lines that need equipment upgrades, IMO, are the A and F (not the R46 so much as the R32, R40 slants, R42s that service the line presently).

Yep. That's one of the reasons why R160s were presented at Jamaica. The chances of an R32 not having A/C is much higher than a chance of an R160 not having A/C. There are also quite a few blogs up online that talk about the noise level of the old cars braking.

Archived