3/22-Railfanning-Transit Museum,and Some Bus. And an MTA Cat?

Sea Beach

I went to the Transit Museum today and got some nice pics. Sadly,they took away the R32. I also asked some tourguy when the museum would get R38's,R40/42 and slants,he said that they'll be getting the R38 and R42 soon,as well as getting the R32 back,but they wont be getting the R40 Slants! :cry:

The transit museum has a cat now! The tourguy showed everyone the cat,he said the name of the cat is (MTA). Look out for a pic of a kitty as well as some R40 Slant (A) train pics at Jay St and bus pics! I'll start with the museum.

Picture0449.jpg

Picture0450.jpg

Picture0451.jpg

Picture0452.jpg

Picture0453.jpg

Picture0457.jpg

Picture0459.jpg

Picture0460.jpg

The (MTA) Cat!!

Picture0458.jpg

Picture0462.jpg

Picture0463.jpg

Picture0464.jpg

Old Plate "Labor Of Love"

Picture0465.jpg

(R) Train to 65th St?

Picture0467.jpg

Picture0468.jpg

Picture0469.jpg

R98 Yellowbird Plate

Picture0471.jpg

Picture0472.jpg

Picture0473.jpg

Picture0475.jpg

Picture0477.jpg

Picture0478.jpg

The Tourguy

Picture0474.jpg

The Plastic Over The Detination Thing Was Broke,So I played Around With It And It Became Blank,Its Supposed To Say NYC Transit Museum

Picture0476.jpg

(A) Subway Shuttle Bus @ Jorolamen St and Adams St-Bklyn Bridge Blvd

Picture0479.jpg

Picture0480.jpg

R40 Slant (A) At Jay St Note: Says Far Rockaway,its supposed to say Jay St-Bourogh Hall due to (A) G.O.

Picture0481.jpg

Picture0483.jpg

Picture0482.jpg

R46 (F) At 4th Ave

Picture0436.jpg

R160 (N) At Ft Ham

Picture0364.jpg

Picture0325.jpg

Also,you can check out my railfanning pics from yesterday here: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8983

Enjoy! Your Friendster Vinster :)

I went to the Transit Museum today and got some nice pics. Sadly,they took away the R32. I also asked some tourguy when the museum would get R38's,R40/42 and slants,he said that they'll be getting the R38 and R42 soon,as well as getting the R32 back,but they wont be getting the R40 Slants! :cry:

That last part you said it's not true,not all tourguys are correct, R40 slant pairs 4192-4193 will be for the museum.

look at these picture

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?79128

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?78411

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?78412

so mostly likely the R40 slant pairs 4192-4193 will be for the museum.

so don't always listen to every tourguy because not all of them tell the truth.

Also the R32 pair 3352- 3353 is not always preserved at the museum since some days it needs to be maintained at the yard.

That last part you said it's not true,not all tourguys are correct, R40 slant pairs 4192-4193 will be for the museum.

look at these picture

Also the R32 pair 3352- 3353 is not always preserved at the museum since some days it needs to be maintained at the yard.

That R40 slant pair was reefed sometime last year, unfortunately. The pair were there as fillers for the Arnines that were running on special service on the V line.

On a side note, an R40M pair was just saved for preservation, 4450-51 out of service at Jamaica if i'm not mistaken. As for a pair of slants, it will happen as with the R38s - cars will continue to be reefed until a good pair is picked from what is available. We won't know until the next few weeks or so.

That R40 slant pair was reefed sometime last year, unfortunately. The pair were there as fillers for the Arnines that were running on special service on the V line.

On a side note, an R40M pair was just saved for preservation, 4450-51 out of service at Jamaica if i'm not mistaken. As for a pair of slants, it will happen as with the R38s - cars will continue to be reefed until a good pair is picked from what is available. We won't know until the next few weeks or so.

no it was not reefed,on the NYC Subway datasheet it said that R40 slant pairs 4192-4193 is being preserved for the museum!

so those pairs were NOT reefed.

good photos. but That IS impossible! i why would they take out the R32!! and the R40!! NOO WAYY!

Thanks! :)

There gonna be brought back,but god knows when.

Nice stuff I was at the NYCTM this past week and saw the cat! It was very friendly. I can't believe that they won't get a slant!

Yes,it is a very friendly cat. I know,that really stinks.

That is not the (R) to 65th, it was an old elevated line that split off from the 5th Avenue elevated in Brooklyn. You should have taken a look at the map legend.

lol,I forgot to look at the legend.

look at these picture

maybe the R40 Slant was just a one time thing?

The transit museum has a cat now! The tourguy showed everyone the cat,he said the name of the cat is (MTA). Look out for a pic of a kitty as well as some R40 Slant (A) train pics at Jay St and bus pics! I'll start with the museum.

Awesome pics!

look at these picture

First of all, I know that TM employee and trust me he knows what he is talking about.

Like I said one pair of each R32-R42 will be added to the museum fleet...that DOES NOT MEAN they will be on display, it just means that paper will be signed "changing hands" of who has title to the car. 3352-3 have been on display before at the museum, but that was temporary as placeholders while the Arnines were out for holiday service...

Also remember before you go posting photo's as "proof" remember that not every car on display in the museum is a "musem car" heck 1802 used to be on display there and that's an RPC car...sure it runs on the nostalgia trains but that doesn't mean it's a TM car...

The R32's, and many other museum cars are not always on display at the museum because there is not enough room to display everything so the exhibit changes depending on when you go and what needs to be where. Look back at pictures over the years and you will see all kinds of things there. Just because something is added to the museum fleet doesn't mean you will see it on display all the time now automatically. Remember most people go there to see the old stuff, not the recently retired stuff.

Also that cat isn't new, she's been around a while heh...she's also not the first, there's at least one other cat I know of that's been there in the past, sadly no one knows what happened to it...

The current cat is great though...

First of all, I know that TM employee and trust me he knows what he is talking about.

Like I said one pair of each R32-R42 will be added to the museum fleet...that DOES NOT MEAN they will be on display, it just means that paper will be signed "changing hands" of who has title to the car. 3352-3 have been on display before at the museum, but that was temporary as placeholders while the Arnines were out for holiday service...

Also remember before you go posting photo's as "proof" remember that not every car on display in the museum is a "musem car" heck 1802 used to be on display there and that's an RPC car...sure it runs on the nostalgia trains but that doesn't mean it's a TM car...

The R32's, and many other museum cars are not always on display at the museum because there is not enough room to display everything so the exhibit changes depending on when you go and what needs to be where. Look back at pictures over the years and you will see all kinds of things there. Just because something is added to the museum fleet doesn't mean you will see it on display all the time now automatically. Remember most people go there to see the old stuff, not the recently retired stuff.

ok,i know the exhibit changes. I know not every museum car will not be displayed at the muesuem everyday because of the space.

Excellent, clear and crisp pix... I wonder why did they take out the R-32 and R-40 Slant! The Slant is a rare car and R-32 is awesome!

I think they rotate the cars sometimes.

Awesome pics!

Also that cat isn't new, she's been around a while heh...she's also not the first, there's at least one other cat I know of that's been there in the past, sadly no one knows what happened to it...

The current cat is great though...

I wonder what happened to the other one. I hope it didnt get killed. :cry:

But the cat thats there now is a really nice cat. Looks like my cat!

what's with the cat in the museum?

Good question. But what if she fell on the 3rd rail? I dont think that would be a pretty site.

yeah,of course the guy knows what hes talking about,he works for the museum. and I dont think the R40's are ready for the museum yet,just the 32's and 38's,like you said,ppl want to see older trains,not younger ones,the 40's are much younger then the 30's.

I wonder what happened to the other one. I hope it didnt get killed. :cry:

But the cat thats there now is a really nice cat. Looks like my cat!

No one knows really. One day it was there the next it wasn't...

Good question. But what if she fell on the 3rd rail? I dont think that would be a pretty site.

The amazing thing is animals seem to have a 6th sense abou that, whether its subway rats or the TM cat, they know not to go near it. The TM cat is pretty daring, climbing up the gates of the BU cars and hopping to the top of the gate of the next car sometimes, but she knows not to go near the third rail...

yeah,of course the guy knows what hes talking about,he works for the museum. and I dont think the R40's are ready for the museum yet,just the 32's and 38's,like you said,ppl want to see older trains,not younger ones,the 40's are much younger then the 30's.

Exactly. The R40's in the pictures posted were only there in December of '07 as placeholders while the Arnines went out. This year when the Arnines went out it was the R32's you saw.

When the Train of Many Colors went out in August you saw Lo-V's in the museum...the same ones that went to Yankee stadium for the final game.

That's why it's worth it to go back from time to time...things change. Heck I think one of the displays upstairs is even changing this week or next (to something LIRR related), but I'd have to check again to say exactly when...

Exactly. The R40's in the pictures posted were only there in December of '07 as placeholders while the Arnines went out. This year when the Arnines went out it was the R32's you saw.

When the Train of Many Colors went out in August you saw Lo-V's in the museum...the same ones that went to Yankee stadium for the final game.

That's why it's worth it to go back from time to time...things change. Heck I think one of the displays upstairs is even changing this week or next (to something LIRR related), but I'd have to check again to say exactly when...

Yes,I remember seeing that set at the museum in December 2008,heres some vids and pics of mine from that:

Picture0234.jpg

Picture0231.jpg

Picture0225.jpg

The cat is very cute. It reminds me of the big grey tabby cat that I have at home. Two of my weaknesses: The NYC Subway, and pets. I should pay a visit to the Museum soon; so i can see all the old cars again, AND so that I can say hello to the (MTA) cat. So do they just let the cat wander around the museum?

What the?!? (6) - R-32, :)!

I know what happened, :)!

LOL,what happened?

The cat is very cute. It reminds me of the big grey tabby cat that I have at home. Two of my weaknesses: The NYC Subway, and pets. I should pay a visit to the Museum soon; so i can see all the old cars again, AND so that I can say hello to the (MTA) cat. So do they just let the cat wander around the museum?

yea,it reminds me of my american shorthair,Toby. Yea,they just let it wander around.

Archived