Subway 'Surfer' Killed

Trainspotter

Subway 'Surfer' Killed

October 16, 2007 -- A homeless man who tried to climb atop a moving Manhattan subway car plunged to his death last night after losing his footing, authorities said.

The 21-year-old man, who was not identified, slipped off a southbound C train at about 6:40 p.m. in the tunnel between the 155th Street and 145th Street stations in Washington Heights.

He had been riding between cars when he climbed to the top of one of them.

He slid off, bounced off the tunnel wall and died, police said. He suffered multiple trauma to his head and body.

Service along the C line was suspended for two hours.

This never ends does it?! Surfing the subway is asking for death. You know how many deaths took place along the Sea Beach N Line; kids surfing the tops of the N , then thinking they can make it under the roadway overpasses, then thats it; Kaput....;)

People never learn, its a shame really

I remember when they use to do it on the # 6 Line leaving Witlock Ave on a N/B train playing a game of "Chicken" to see if you duck before the Bridge. It use to happen on Fri/Sat Nights. One time the incident happen to my Follower and the Crew didn't know until they got to the terminal. They wasn't sure what train it was so the T/D at Pelham didn't let me sign out until they investigated both my train and Follower. My follower had the Blood on top and between the 9th and 10 car so I was released. The T/O and C/R of said train had to be taken downtown for Incident testing , Questioned and had to write a statement. The T/O was restored to service in 3 days to wait for his test results while the C/R was out for 2 weeks before being cleared.

I remember when they use to do it on the # 6 Line leaving Witlock Ave on a N/B train playing a game of "Chicken" to see if you duck before the Bridge. It use to happen on Fri/Sat Nights. One time the incident happen to my Follower and the Crew didn't know until they got to the terminal. They wasn't sure what train it was so the T/D at Pelham didn't let me sign out until they investigated both my train and Follower. My follower had the Blood on top and between the 9th and 10 car so I was released. The T/O and C/R of said train had to be taken downtown for Incident testing , Questioned and had to write a statement. The T/O was restored to service in 3 days to wait for his test results while the C/R was out for 2 weeks before being cleared.

Even though it's standard procedure, it seems like blaming the crew for something they have absolutely no control over. 3 days out for the T/O, and 2 weeks out for the C/R. I hope it was a paid 2 weeks. Free vacation, without having to use one.

Well, that just screams suicide to me. Trains are for riding in, not on top of. I'd also imagine the blood on the train would be a pretty telltale sign which train had the surfer. And really the train crew could have done nothing; it's not like they gave him permission to stand on the roof. Ah, and what it this "Restricted to the platform" business?

When you are restricted to the platform its a way of having you work without being restored to your regular dutys and one step from an unpaid vacation. All T/O's and C/R's when taken out of service for an incident or alledged incident are restricted to the platform pending the outcome of the Investigation. If your cleared you go back to your jobs and if not you remain on Platform duty until you complete the hearings. Then after thats over you find out your faith Suspended,Demoted or Terminated.

the kids from school do it all the time. they even tape their riding on the back of the trains. they are the same people that sneak about in tunnels and draw on trains and all that crap.

i don't even see why the MTA and everyone cares about this, if they want to get themselves hurt or killed let them. its only their fault for riding outside the train

I'm fairly certain the MTA cares is that they don't want someone (be it parents or whoever) to sue them for letting their loved one ride around on a train. As well, if they didn't care, how appealing would it be to have bridges and trains covered in graffiti and blood? Not so much I believe.

When you are restricted to the platform its a way of having you work without being restored to your regular dutys and one step from an unpaid vacation. All T/O's and C/R's when taken out of service for an incident or alledged incident are restricted to the platform pending the outcome of the Investigation. If your cleared you go back to your jobs and if not you remain on Platform duty until you complete the hearings. Then after thats over you find out your faith Suspended,Demoted or Terminated.

Oh that's what happened. Here in the DOB we have caretaker (politically correct term for janitor) duties, if an operator is taken off revenue service duties.

I don't even see why the MTA and everyone cares about this, if they want to get themselves hurt or killed let them. It's only their fault for riding outside the train

The MTA must care, because Leach Civil Suit Lawyers care, and idiot juries award "victims" families monies, for stupid deaths that are 100% "victims" fault.

I'm fairly certain the MTA cares is that they don't want someone (be it parents or whoever) to sue them for letting their loved one ride around on a train. As well, if they didn't care, how appealing would it be to have bridges and trains covered in graffiti and blood? Not so much I believe.

the people who decides to sue the MTA because their child got killed riding outside of the train is making a fool of themselves. the judge would say to the parent, "okay mrs.whatever you are a dumb ass idiot because its your fault your son died for riding on the train and you have no right to sue the MTA, case dismissed (bangs his hammer on the table)" and the whole trial would take less than 10 minutes

The MTA must care, because Leach Civil Suit Lawyers care, and idiot juries award "victims" families monies, for stupid deaths that are 100% "victims" fault.

lawyers, all they want is money. they will care for anything.

did you read the new york post today? there is a long article how a couple is suing a flower shop for $400,000 because the flower shop gave them the wrong color flower.

I've heard several stories about kids from my neighborhood who have tried "riding daredevil" - that is, riding on top of the train rather than in it. Thankfully, I don't know anyone who has died this way, but still, the dangers are very real. Kids see it as harmless fun, but it's no joke. It's not just dangerous behavior - it's deadly behavior.

the people who decides to sue the MTA because their child got killed riding outside of the train is making a fool of themselves. the judge would say to the parent, "okay mrs.whatever you are a dumb ass idiot because its your fault your son died for riding on the train and you have no right to sue the MTA, case dismissed (bangs his hammer on the table)" and the whole trial would take less than 10 minutes

That is why most companies would rather have a civil case go in front of a judge, than a grand jury. Judges use their mind and alot of discretion. Grand Juries do not.

Up here.. there is no way to get on top of the train without someone noticing. There is at least two MBTA Transit Police / City Police (Not to mention the officials as well) on the station at any given time.

I have to say, if you want to climb aboard the top of a train, you are mentally unstable.

No conductor or T/O should get in any type of trouble for the foolish, idiotic behavior that comes out of some people's mind.

Hard to believe this is a norm over in India.

Archived