The Intelligent Pants Discussion Thread

Q25toJamaica

Why isn't "The Bronx" just called Bronx?

Why isn't "The Adirondacks" called Adirondacks?

That common "the" is a strange fellow at times (maybe it's a miss since it doesn't know where it wants to be).........

He got in the cab. She got on the bus. They live in the Bronx. They live in Yonkers. Why no the here?????

"The Bronx" has the added "The" because back in the day, say around 16-1700s, people in Manhattan would say, "We're going to the Bronck's..." meaning the river that passed through the land that Jonas Bronck owned. It's more of a reference to the river's valley than a place itself.

"The Bronx" has the added "The" because back in the day, say around 16-1700s, people in Manhattan would say, "We're going to the Bronck's..." meaning the river that passed through the land that Jonas Bronck owned. It's more of a reference to the river's valley than a place itself.

Yes, the borough that was part of Westchester County (ie Westchester Square which was originally Westchester which the county got it's name from, and was Westchester County's only borough), until 1856 or 1896 (IIRC), when it was annexed to the NYC for the growth of NYC. The more I read of that Borough, and it's Westchester roots, the more I learn about my county, and our lost child The Bronx. Found out Yonkers extended all the was down to what is now known as Kingsbridge. Those were sections of my city, and county. We want it back!!!!!!!

Yes, the borough that was part of Westchester County (ie Westchester Square which was originally Westchester which the county got it's name from, and was Westchester County's only borough), until 1856 or 1896 (IIRC), when it was annexed to the NYC for the growth of NYC. The more I read of that Borough, and it's Westchester roots, the more I learn about my county, and our lost child The Bronx. Found out Yonkers extended all the was down to what is now known as Kingsbridge. Those were sections of my city, and county. We want it back!!!!!!!

You can take the Bronx. Feel free to take the Yankees as well. :)

Archived