Is the T going to be BMT or IND?

Jashawn R.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.1; en-us; dream) AppleWebKit/525.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Mobile Safari/523.12.2)

It's "B1" and "B2" now.

The entire Second Ave Line will be B2. In fact, you already have to change the radio to B2 when you leve 57th going into the tracks leading to 63rd St and what will become the lead to the Second Av line.

It seems like any new line connected to the B2 (former IND) is assigned as B2. Plus, 2nd Av was originally planned as part of the IND second system, so of course it would become B2.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.1; en-us; dream) AppleWebKit/525.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Mobile Safari/523.12.2)

It's "B1" and "B2" now.

The entire Second Ave Line will be B2. In fact, you already have to change the radio to B2 when you leve 57th going into the tracks leading to 63rd St and what will become the lead to the Second Av line.

It seems like any new line connected to the B2 (former IND) is assigned as B2. Plus, 2nd Av was originally planned as part of the IND second system, so of course it would become B2.

Eric wat do u mean B1, B2, please explain

@UlmerPark me too, Maybe it is gonna be IND, seeing that I heard it will possibly extend toward the bronx, which there is no BMT line up here..

The old company names were officially replaced with "A/B1/B2" designations. The two interchangeable systems sharing "B". 1 you can remember as being the older BMT, while 2 is the newer IND. (Just like "A" is the even older IRT).

Eric wat do u mean B1, B2, please explain

@UlmerPark me too, Maybe it is gonna be IND, seeing that I heard it will possibly extend toward the bronx, which there is no BMT line up here..

In Peter Dougherty's book it says, it does have tail tracks that end before the river. Well since, the (T) was part of the IND plan, it should be IND to me.

The classifications BMT and IND no longer exist. But if you want to really label it, it would be an IND. Meaning, it's an independent line not under contract by any specific company.

It's as far from IRT/Division A as you can get, though. That's for sure.

IRT= Interboro Rapid Tranist Company

IND= Independent Subway System

BMT= Brooklyn - Manhattan Transit Corp.

Does this mean that the (Q) will also be considered an IND, seeing it is running on the 2nd Ave Line, similar to the (R) which runs on Queens Blvd..

obviously, it is going to be part of the IND because it is not going into Brooklyn. didn't you know BMT stands for "Brooklyn Manhattan Transit"?

You should learn your subway history before making comments like these. How do you call yourself a railfan?

You should learn your subway history before making comments like these. How do you call yourself a railfan?

Jul is right, IND does go though Brooklyn. Fulton, Crosstown, and Culver is IND. And you never knoew if the (MTA) would extend to brooklyn..

IRT= Interboro Rapid Tranist Company

IND= Independent Subway System

BMT= Brooklyn - Manhattan Transit Corp.

Does this mean that the (Q) will also be considered an IND, seeing it is running on the 2nd Ave Line, similar to the (R) which runs on Queens Blvd..

no, it is still considered BMT because its trunk line in Manhattan is the BMT Broadway Line. BMT lines can run on IND lines and vice-versa.

i know my history, so do not call me an idiot.

Jul is right, IND does go though Brooklyn. Fulton, Crosstown, and Culver is IND. And you never knoew if the (MTA) would extend to brooklyn..

the Fulton and Culver Lines used to be part of the BMT before it got connected with IND Lines in Manhattan. the Crosstown is not a BMT Line because it does not go into Manhattan.

no, it is still considered BMT because its trunk line in Manhattan is the BMT Broadway Line. BMT lines can run on IND lines and vice-versa.

the Fulton and Culver Lines used to be part of the BMT before it got connected with IND Lines in Manhattan. the Crosstown is not a BMT Line because it does not go into Manhattan.

Well I dunno, im dealing todays issue

But anyways the (T) would be IND or BMT, i notice on Wiki, they have the 63/lex station as BMT 63st and IND 63st line, dunno, if they are talking just for that street or the 2nd ave part

Quick subway history. The IRT (Interborough Rapid Transit) was the first company that started building the Subway system, later on a new company, the BRT (Brooklyn Rapid Transit) started building it's own system to compete with the IRT. The BRT went bankrupt and came out of bankruptcy as the BMT (Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit). The city then offered a dual contract to the IRT and the BMT to expand the subway system jointly. The city in the 1930s created the Independent Subway System (IND) to compete with the IRT and the BMT. By the 1940s through political moves, the city forced the BMT and the IRT to sell their operations to the city. The New York City Transit Authority was created in 1953 to take over subway, bus, and streetcar operations from the city, and was placed under control of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority in 1968. Now, FlushingExpress do you see how your comment is wrong. The names have nothing to do with where they operated in.

Are you sure, maybe you should check that again, because Wikipedia might be more reliable than you right now. From what I've read in the track book is that the city council had ideas for the Crosstown Line being part of the BMT, but Mayor Hylan who was a supporter in IND opposed it, and changed the plans of it being BMT. He was the reason why the Lower Level of 42nd St-Port Authority station was built. So as you can see, the Crosstown Line was never part of the BMT.

Are you sure, maybe you should check that again, because Wikipedia might be more reliable than you right now. From what I've read in the track book is that the city council had ideas for the Crosstown Line being part of the BMT, but Mayor Hylan who was a supporter in IND opposed it, and changed the plans of it being BMT. He was the reason why the Lower Level of 42nd St-Port Authority station was built. So as you can see, the Crosstown Line was never part of the BMT.

when did i say the crosstown line was part of the BMT? i said the Culver Line and Fulton Streets Els were. i am heavy contributor to Wikipedia and a lot of the information on the subway articiles were added by me.

Quick subway history. The IRT (Interborough Rapid Transit) was the first company that started building the Subway system, later on a new company, the BRT (Brooklyn Rapid Transit) started building it's own system to compete with the IRT. The BRT went bankrupt and came out of bankruptcy as the BMT (Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit). The city then offered a dual contract to the IRT and the BMT to expand the subway system jointly. The city in the 1930s created the Independent Subway System (IND) to compete with the IRT and the BMT. By the 1940s through political moves, the city forced the BMT and the IRT to sell their operations to the city. The New York City Transit Authority was created in 1953 to take over subway, bus, and streetcar operations from the city, and was placed under control of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority in 1968. Now, FlushingExpress do you see how your comment is wrong. The names have nothing to do with where they operated in.

i knew all that, so it is not my fault my comment is wrong. it is whoever asked whether the (T) would be part of the BMT or IND. they are technically in one division and can operate togther. idk if (NYCT) still considers certain lines to be part of the BMT and others to be part of the IND.

The IND Fulton Street Line from High Street-Brooklyn Bridge to Grant Ave was never part of the BMT. It was built under the BMT Fulton Street El, in direct compitiion with the BMT. From 80th Steet to Lefferts Blvd was part of the BMT at one time, but it was taken over by the IND and on all (MTA) station plans they are I.D.ed as IND station.

i knew all that, so it is not my fault my comment is wrong. it is whoever asked whether the (T) would be part of the BMT or IND. they are technically in one division and can operate togther. idk if (NYCT) still considers certain lines to be part of the BMT and others to be part of the IND.

The OP isn't wrong either. He just asked a perfectly good question. Even I didn't know that the BMT and IND became the one B Division. Everyone's isn't smart to everything you know.

You guys do realize that the (T) will provide service UP AND DOWN THE NOT YET BUILT 2nd avenue line, which will be chained entirely as IND...right? It will not go over BMT trackage at all.

The (Q) will be the line that runs over the new line as well as old BMT trackage on Broadway. However, since it will continue to be based out of CI and run in midtown along Broadway, it will remain a BMT line...(this is why the B and D are orange despite being "8th avenue trains" north of 59th...it's all about the trunk line).

Archived