R160A on the F

NewUtrecht91

I love the F line but this is too soon. What happens to the E line?? The E had about 13 R160s, are they being taken off the E to service the F? If so, I don't see why. I see a much greater need for R160s on the E than the F. I've given up hope in trying to figure out the logic of the MTA.

I know this, if a lot of R32s start appearing on the E and R160s start to diminish, you are going to see a lot of pissed off E riders. Hopefully, the E will continue to add R160s to the line and the F as well.

I love the F line but this is too soon. What happens to the E line?? The E had about 13 R160s, are they being taken off the E to service the F? If so, I don't see why. I see a much greater need for R160s on the E than the F. I've given up hope in trying to figure out the logic of the MTA.

I know this, if a lot of R32s start appearing on the E and R160s start to diminish, you are going to see a lot of pissed off E riders. Hopefully, the E will continue to add R160s to the line and the F as well.

Someone posted somewhere that the (E) was gonna be completely R160 this year.

This is true, I heard it from a TSS On an (F) train last sunday, He told a t/o that they would be taking most of the R160's off the (E) and putting them on the (F), But don't worry the (E) will still have a few sets until more comes in, The replacement are going to be ALL the r32's that are on the (F) and some R46's on the side, Its would be easier to do this because the (F) is only going to 35-50% R160's and 50% R46's, The R46's are not leaving the (F) until the R179 replace them and the replaced R46's would be sent to pitkin/207th for the (A)/© lines. So look forward to seeing some R32's back on the (E), The (E) will still have plenty of R160's.

Do these cars seem like they are small inside to any of you? Or are the people that are riding just bigger?
To me, the R160's definitely seem smaller inside than the cars they are replacing. I don't really know why, but they are simply lacking the spacious feel of the R32 thru R42 cars.

Plus, their outside walls look more slanted on the upper side.

Also, I don't really get what's the point of introducing R160's into F passenger service when it's still a long way to replace all older cars on the E. Wouldn't it make more sense to finish the E first, then start with the F?

To me, the R160's definitely seem smaller inside than the cars they are replacing. I don't really know why, but they are simply lacking the spacious feel of the R32 thru R42 cars.

Plus, their outside walls look more slanted on the upper side.

Also, I don't really get what's the point of introducing R160's into F passenger service when it's still a long way to replace all older cars on the E. Wouldn't it make more sense to finish the E first, then start with the F?

They aren't as wide. They are 9.7 feet wide where the R32/R42 are 10 feet wide. They also seem to have slightly lower ceilings.

Per the E, I don't get the MTA and the E. For almost 18 years the E was almost exclusively R32 because of "dwell" time. Now, they have almost half of the E line filled with R160s. The E has one of the highest riderships in the system, and before even getting most of the line filled, they are putting R160s on the F. And if what R32_3838 says is true, that they are now going to put R32s back on the E and move many of the R160s currently on the E to the F, then E riders may have a point that there is some sort of disdain for the line. R32s would be a big downgrade at this point in the view of most E riders, despite the few R32 cult fans that are found on railfan boards. The E needs 60 footers, the R160 is 60 feet, what's the problem?

The F can use R160s, sure, but fix the E first. If the MTA really needs to use the R32, put them on the C and the V, and put the best equipment in Jamaica on the primary lines, the E and the F. If R32s or for that matter R40M/R42s were suddenly to appear on the N and Q and their R160s moved to the B, I'm sure you'd hear negative feedback from their riders.

I don't know why it's a big deal if these bench seaters are replacing older bench seaters on the (F).

I hope that's what this is. That they are replacing the old 60 footers. So, they'll replace the R32 and R40M/R42s and run mostly R46s. And the E will resume filling up with R160s after the R32s/R40M/R42s are replaced on the F.

But still, why are the R46s going to the A? What about the E's R40M/R42s that need replacing? I think the MTA should put the old R32/R40M/R42 on the V, put the Vs R46s on the F, and continue with the R160s on the E. They have about 13 sets left to complete the E. The primary lines using the old equipment seems illogical to me.

The E needs 60 footers, the R160 is 60 feet, what's the problem?

The F can use R160s, sure, but fix the E first. If the MTA really needs to use the R32, put them on the C and the V, and put the best equipment in Jamaica on the primary lines, the E and the F.

Exactly. The old cars should (at least from a "normal" passengers' point of view) be run on a weekday supplemental route such as the (V), whereas the new(er) equipment should run on the main routes like the (E) and (F).

As for the R160's on the (F), I think this route can actually use the increased door capacity of the R160's in comparison to the R46's.

Dwell times in the AM rush are sometimes crazy, especially at the stations in the Park Slope/Gowanus area, where the (F) gets really full until many people get off at Jay St/Boro Hall.

Per the E, I don't get the MTA and the E. For almost 18 years the E was almost exclusively R32 because of "dwell" time. Now, they have almost half of the E line filled with R160s. The E has one of the highest riderships in the system, and before even getting most of the line filled, they are putting R160s on the F. And if what R32_3838 says is true, that they are now going to put R32s back on the E and move many of the R160s currently on the E to the F, then E riders may have a point that there is some sort of disdain for the line. R32s would be a big downgrade at this point in the view of most E riders, despite the few R32 cult fans that are found on railfan boards. The E needs 60 footers, the R160 is 60 feet, what's the problem?

The F can use R160s, sure, but fix the E first. If the MTA really needs to use the R32, put them on the C and the V, and put the best equipment in Jamaica on the primary lines, the E and the F. If R32s or for that matter R40M/R42s were suddenly to appear on the N and Q and their R160s moved to the B, I'm sure you'd hear negative feedback from their riders.

I like your train of thought. Your comments are educated and you think out of the railfanner and more to the straphanger.

(MTA)'s thoughts are completely illogical. They should have kept R46s at Jamaica until the necessary amounts of R160s come in to replace the (A)s older fleet of cars.

And the riders on the (E) that I have interviewed do express a great concern for the R32s on the (E). I believe they feel more comfortable with the R160s on the line. An abrupt removal of the R160s on the (E) and transferring them to the (F) certainly does not help the people who are already getting used to the new fleets of trains. It would have made more sense if they kept the (A)'s R46s back at Jamaica until the R160s came and completely conquered the (E) line. After that, then they should move on to the (F). And I don't think they're completely done testing the (F). They should have just moved a set of test trains onto the (F) to finish complete 100% testing on the line and then decided that they are positive on transforming the (F) line.

But then again, this is (MTA)....

Exactly. The old cars should (at least from a "normal" passengers' point of view) be run on a weekday supplemental route such as the (V), whereas the new(er) equipment should run on the main routes like the (E) and (F).

As for the R160's on the (F), I think this route can actually use the increased door capacity of the R160's in comparison to the R46's.

Dwell times in the AM rush are sometimes crazy, especially at the stations in the Park Slope/Gowanus area, where the (F) gets really full until many people get off at Jay St/Boro Hall.

Yep, good point about the (F). Whatever it is, I don't like it running R32s.

I think the MTA should upgrade the (A) as well. The problem with the (A) is that it is a primary line and the R160s have an electrical problem on the Rockaway branch. So, as they get more R46s and even if they get R68s, which I don't think are in the plans, they'll run 75 footers with the longer dwell times for quite a bit longer after the old 60 footers are retired.

The R179 is years away, and I hope it has the 5 doors per side that has been rumored. Then, any of the major B division lines, (A), (D), (E), (F), (N), and (Q), could potentially run them, though the (A) should be the highest priority along with the SIR followed by (F), and if significant improvements are made in design flow or reliability, (E), and maybe the (D) can be assigned some as well.

Woohoo! R160's on the (F)! Cant wait to ride one!

I'm going to have to disagree on that one. The R160's bench seats are very comfortable, but for me after 10 minutes of sitting on a orange seat, my butt hurts.

To me the R160 benches are just a bit better than the R40-R42 benches, but not as good as the R32-R38 benches. I guess I'm just too skinny and bucket seats provide just enough room and comfort for me. No wonder why Hollister hired me for modelling! I seriously dislike touching other people while sitting on long rides as well as benches that are extremely flat(R142-R160), or have annoying humps(R40-R42) on them.

I hope that's what this is. That they are replacing the old 60 footers. So, they'll replace the R32 and R40M/R42s and run mostly R46s. And the E will resume filling up with R160s after the R32s/R40M/R42s are replaced on the F.

But still, why are the R46s going to the A? What about the E's R40M/R42s that need replacing? I think the MTA should put the old R32/R40M/R42 on the V, put the Vs R46s on the F, and continue with the R160s on the E. They have about 13 sets left to complete the E. The primary lines using the old equipment seems illogical to me.

R46s are going on the (A) to replace the slants. that is why R160s are now going on the (F). as the (E) gets more R160s, the R32/40/42s at Jamaica are going straight to the ocean, but the R32s on the (C) are staying there until the R160 order is fully completed and perhaps the extra R68/68As from Coney island will be used to replace the remaining R32s. the (R)(V) will not change.

R46s are going on the (A) to replace the slants. that is why R160s are now going on the (F). as the (E) gets more R160s, the R32/40/42s at Jamaica are going straight to the ocean, but the R32s on the (C) are staying there until the R160 order is fully completed and perhaps the extra R68/68As from Coney island will be used to replace the remaining R32s. the (R)(V) will not change.

So, the 3 R160s servicing the (F) are replacing the 3 R46s that went to the (A) and R32/R42/R40Ms in Jamaica are retired as soon as R160s go in service in Jamaica. But it seems new R160s are testing on the (F), so there are more slants to go and the (E) will not get R160s to add until the slants are retired on the (A)? How many slants are left on the (A) and how many more of Jamaica's, presumably the (F) and not the (R) or (V)'s R46s will move to the (A)?

When will the (E) be fully R160? and are there plans to move more R32s to the (E) while the slants are being retired?

So, the 3 R160s servicing the (F) are replacing the 3 R46s that went to the (A) and R32/R42/R40Ms in Jamaica are retired as soon as R160s go in service in Jamaica. But it seems new R160s are testing on the (F), so there are more slants to go and the (E) will not get R160s to add until the slants are retired on the (A)? How many slants are left on the (A) and how many more of Jamaica's, presumably the (F) and not the (R) or (V)'s R46s will move to the (A)?

When will the (E) be fully R160? and are there plans to move more R32s to the (E) while the slants are being retired?

unless (E) riders are saying they desperately want the R32s back because they totally hate the R42s (which i would not be surprised if true), there are no plans to put R32s back on the (E). the (E) and (F) are now getting their equal share of R160s. the (E) will not be fully R160s until all R40s (both slants and modified) are retired and the (F) will not be fully R160s until all R32s-R42s are retired. there are about 130-140 slants left in the system and there is just enough R46s on the (F) along with those on the (G) to replace all of them. replacing the R32s on the (C) will most likely be the R68/68As from Coney Island once the (W) gets eliminated and the (Q) becomes fully R160s.

Ugh, you guys are taking things out of proportion. Just because the (F) is getting R160's does not mean the (E) is getting rid of its R160's and not receiving them anymore. Do any of you remember the recent past, while R160's were coming into Coney Island onto the (N) as few months later they went to the (W) as well (and eventually the (Q)) even though the (N) wasn't fully R160's. The (N)(Q)(W) share R160's just as the (E) and (F) will share them.

Archived