What is your longest walk within New York City & the Vicinity?

KeystoneRegional

Guest Charles

Well I can tell you my longest RUN in terms of distance, and that would be 3 times around Central Park without stopping.

Walking, I'm not sure. One Sunday morning I remember walking the entire path of the Q65A before it was renamed, all the way from Continental Av to 164 Street.

Walking ain't as fun as running though.

I dont know if it counts but my longest walk in nYC was for charity about 15 years ago. I forgot but i think it was a 10 mile walk (either March of Dimes or MS)from around 110th St/5th Ave in Central park down to Battery Park.:eek:

Freshmen year in college and did the 'walk' for extra credit for my 'community particpation' assignment in my socialogy class.

My longest walk was during the blackout from 54th street under the (7) line to my home on 35th street between 8th & 9th Ave on the (A)(C)(E). i was at Great Adventure all day with some friends but I was the only one who knew how to drive and had a license so we waited til the park closed and I drove back but the Lincoln, Holland, & GWB were closed for some reason so I got off at exit 10 on the NJTP and then took the outerbridge crossing through SI and into Manhattan to check on my 86 yr old father. Then I continued into Queens. I dropped everyone home as well as the car and walked back home. What a birthday for me...

Hmmm I have a few long walks around the city

July 4th, 2007 - South Street Seaport/Battery Park City to 34th Street on the FDR. Then from there to Ludlow Street.

Sometime last year with a friend in Staten Island, we walked from S.I Mall to Eltingville SIR Station, not like rush type walk, we took our time, then we walked from his house nearby Forest Hill Road to St.George Ferry Terminal Via Victory Blvd. I remember falling asleep on the ferry and someone woke me up saying we are docking.

And in Queens...the farthest I can remember is from John Adams High School @ Rockaway Blvd to 95th Ave & Van Wyck Expressway, along to my mom's house.

My longest walk outside of NYC was in Miami, from Douglass Road Rail Station to Coral Gables along the Route 42 Bus Line, get a map and check out the distance :cool:

Hmmm I have a few long walks around the city

July 4th, 2007 - South Street Seaport/Battery Park City to 34th Street on the FDR. Then from there to Ludlow Street.

Sometime last year with a friend in Staten Island, we walked from S.I Mall to Eltingville SIR Station, not like rush type walk, we took our time, then we walked from his house nearby Forest Hill Road to St.George Ferry Terminal Via Victory Blvd. I remember falling asleep on the ferry and someone woke me up saying we are docking.

And in Queens...the farthest I can remember is from John Adams High School @ Rockaway Blvd to 95th Ave & Van Wyck Expressway, along to my mom's house.

My longest walk outside of NYC was in Miami, from Douglass Road Rail Station to Coral Gables along the Route 42 Bus Line, get a map and check out the distance :cool:

Hey i used to do alot as a teen when i had little money and before metrocards came out. That a piece of cake walking from nearby Canal St-34th St.:cool:

I think the longest walk I did was from Manhattan to Brooklyn over the Brooklyn Bridge, then back to Manhattan over the Manhattan Bridge.

I also remember walking from Astoria over the Triborough Bridge to Randall's Island and then over to Manhattan ending at 110th & Lenox.

All the way from two blocks from the Whitehall St. Station on the (R) to Sunset Park in Brooklyn when we had the blackout back in 2003. Had to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge to get home.

Times Square to JFK Airport (that area) Same reason too. The blackout was my longest walk.

here are some...

- main/amboy (tottenville) to Hylan/(whatever the name of that street is at the 1st Brooklyn bound stop after the S79 turns off Richmond, to get to Hylan)... waited an hour for an S78 that never came.. got frustrated & started walking... of course, a couple S78's whizzed by me as I was walking...

- from LGA (Marine Air) to Williamsburg bridge plaza... my intent that day was to walk from LGA, all the way home, but it started raining by time I reached McCarren Park... really started pouring by time I reached grand (walking down lorimer).. ended up taking the B44 home that day...

- probably the stupidest walk I've ever taken, but, it was from the S48 terminal in arlington, to port ivory, to howland hook, along goethals rd, down south av, to the west shore plaza... then from west shore plaza, made my way to travis av, to victory blvd.... Never again will I do this...

- from 225th/hempstead tothe Jamaica center station, walking down jamaica av, etc...

- Christopher/varick (around where I currently work) to East Flatbush (where I live)... these 2 are the most recent of my longer walks... done via the manhattan bridge & the brooklyn bridge on separate occasions...

My records:

1. From Chinatown (Elizabeth Centre) to Bryant Park and then to Seward Park. Roads followed: Elizabeth-Bayard-Baxter-Centre-Lafayette-4th Avenue-8th Street-Broadway-6th-40th Street-6th-Broadway-23rd Street-Park Avenue-4th Avenue-Astor Place-Bowery-Canal-East Broadway July 2008

2. From Grand/Forsyth to Canal to Herald Square back to Chinatown. Roads followed: Forsyth-Grand-Broadway-Lispenard-Broadway-Astor Place-4th Street-Broadway-14th Street-6th Avenue-Herald Square-Broadway-Union Square East-4th Avenue-Astor Place-Bowery-Bayard-Elizabeth-Canal-Forsyth February 2009 (Big killer, I was looking for pins and I decided to walk rather than taking the subway)

3. From Queens Ctr Mall to 60th Street and 2nd Avenue. Roads followed: Queens Blvd-Broadway-Roosevelt Avenue-Queens Blvd-Queensboro Bridge-60th Street 1 October 2008

4. From 169th Street to Flushing Main Street to Northern Boulevard/150th Street and back to Flushing Main Street. Roads followed: Utopia Parkway-73rd Avenue-173rd Street-Horace Harding Expressway-Main Street-Northern Blvd-Main Street August 2007

5. From Canal Street to Herald Square (with Janet): Canal Street-Lafayette Street-4th Avenue-Broadway (thru the Halloween shop)-Union Square South-Union Square East-Park Avenue-34th Street-6th Avenue-35th Street-Broadway-35th Street (we were looking for Duet 35) 2 February 2009

6. Metropolitan Museum of Art to my place: 5th Avenue-Madison Square-Broadway-Union Square East-4th Avenue-Cooper Square-3rd Avenue-Bowery-Canal-East Broadway May 2008 (I used up all of my rides)

7. Walked through the interior of Central Park from Columbus Circle to my girl's place. I didn't use CPW. The route length was a little more than 5 miles. April 2008

8. Not necessarily long, but when you really need to execute No. 1 and you can't find a place, it's a pain to walk from Brighton Beach to Coney Island (tracing the Q route) February 2008

I'm going to walk a lot since the weather is getting warmer. I'm attempting to walk from my place to 110th Street. And another walk from my place to Flushing.

Archived