Brush Fire On The Sea Beach N Line

Sea Beach

I was at the Ft Hamilton Pkwy (N) station today at around 3:30pm,I noticed smoke coming from behind the station wall,which is the old LIRR,so I go look near the staircase and I see fire all over the old LIRR,the old LIRR has one track which is now used for freight trains,which extends all the way to 1st Ave,going under the 8th ave station and makes a sharp right turn going back outside and goes under the 4th Ave (R) overpass at 65th St,and is covered in alot of dead grass. So I see the (N) train pulling into Ft Ham,I get on it,and as it was leaving you can see the old LIRR and the fire. As the train was getting towards 8th Ave,the fire and smoke was getting worse. The train pulls into 8 ave,and it stayed there for about 5 mins,there was also another train on the C.I bound side waiting there to. So the train leaves the station but was going very slow,maybe like 15 mph and the whole C.I bound side was covered in smoke,you couldnt see at all,now a very heavy smell of smoke comes into the train,and everyone was gaging and putting there shirts over there mouth. 5 mins later,we get to 59 st. After that I finally got to my destination. When I was coming home,they announced that (N) trains are running over the West End (D) in both directions and (R) trains were terminating at 59 st in both directions as well. I guess the smoke got into the (R) LIRR 65th St overpass,there is a opening there where you can see outside. This couldnt happen at a worse time,Rush Hour! I took the (N) to 62 st and walked home from there. Dry weather caused the brush fire.

Wow, I don't hear a lot of track fires as big as what you described here. I hope your trip was safe and sound!.

It wasnt on the tracks,it was next to the (N) tracks on the old LIRR.

Yes,it was safe,but made you gag a little from the smell of smoke.

That happens from time to time on the lesser used LIRR/NYARR trackage where there's plant growth.

- A

Thats terrible,they should cut the old grass so this dont happen again.

That is something. I hope you and your fellow passengers are fine, safe and sound!

I know.

Yes,everyone was fine and safe,except smelling the smell of the smoke.

The war against weeds is one humans will always lose. Wind carries in seed etc etc. Only way to keep them away is to make the area unable to support plant life, which isn't good, since there's a water table under there and whatnot.

- A

Archived