Which employees will MTA lay off?

Dahon

With the no layoff clause long gone, they can layoff whomever they please. B/O's just like T/O's are essential operating personnel. With subway service being slashed, they won't need all the T/O's and C/R's and I can see some of us (newbies) getting the ax. I think anyone with a year or more as a T/O will be very safe. Me I really don't care, as technically I am still a registered B/O, so if I get the ax, as per union agreement, I get my old job back as a B/O with 3 years on the job. The 8 months I've been in RTO, does count towards my time as a B/O. Only when my probation is up, then I am officially a T/O, and no longer a B/O. My old OA pass number still works.........

I don't see a need for 20 minute service on some lines, that when they connect (example is the (4) and (6) from 125-Brooklyn Bridge), you have a train every 10 minutes overnight, in these locations. Eliminate 1 train, give service every 30 minutes (which will be 15 minute service where they connect and run together). More fares on per train. This in my opinion though.......

it costs them too much money to train a t/o......i highly doubt that they lay off any t/o's........in fact supposedly they are hiring some more in june/july.....

if anything, s/a are in the line of fire.......supposedly they are looking to have just ONE booth per station......so imagine a complex like times sq or 34th st having one agent.......thats insane.........

supposedly they cut more jobs for the s/a pick......

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
The cuts are supposedly coming in two weeks, anyone hear anything about B/O getting pink slips or laid off because of these cuts?

If and when that happens we will find out on here for sure, since there are many B/O's who post on here. Hopefully they(those who will be getting laid off)have made plans in advance and are prepared. Time is running out for a bailout...

If and when that happens we will find out on here for sure, since there are many B/O's who post on here. Hopefully they(those who will be getting laid off)have made plans in advance and are prepared. Time is running out for a bailout...

When you get laid off, do they give two weeks notice?

I was one of the last ones hired last December and I haven't heard anything. We are going though a system pick right now b/c of all the service cuts. I would assume I would know if I was getting laid off by the end of the pick, which is June 22.

I know a bunch of B/Os had gotten letters of the possibility of being laid off a month or so ago, but I never got one. ( strange ) So I'm not sure how they will determine who gets laid off, if they go through with it.

I would also assume they would have to go through the same process that they have to, to lay off station agents.. i.e. public hearings.. Haven't heard any news of that either..

I don't know either if, and how long, advance they have to give you if you are getting laid off. I don't think there is a law stating you must be notified within such n such a time.. But there might be something in the agreement with the union. I once heard 6 weeks, but that sounds a bit much to me. Who knows..

If I hear anything, I will post here to give anyone else a "heads up". Right now I'm just hoping I can get work in Gleason b/c I know my depot will be closed out by the end of the week.

Can anyone there tell me if there is a lot of work left? I counted 84 runs left here at U/P as of yesterday. That's including all open runs, the extra list, V/R & work runs that are left.

You can forget about UP or JG, these two will be gone by the time we will get to pick

heheh

Mta has cut 70 runs from JG, so 70 drivers are moving to a different depot.

I was one of the last ones hired last December and I haven't heard anything. We are going though a system pick right now b/c of all the service cuts. I would assume I would know if I was getting laid off by the end of the pick, which is June 22.

I know a bunch of B/Os had gotten letters of the possibility of being laid off a month or so ago, but I never got one. ( strange ) So I'm not sure how they will determine who gets laid off, if they go through with it.

I would also assume they would have to go through the same process that they have to, to lay off station agents.. i.e. public hearings.. Haven't heard any news of that either..

I don't know either if, and how long, advance they have to give you if you are getting laid off. I don't think there is a law stating you must be notified within such n such a time.. But there might be something in the agreement with the union. I once heard 6 weeks, but that sounds a bit much to me. Who knows..

If I hear anything, I will post here to give anyone else a "heads up". Right now I'm just hoping I can get work in Gleason b/c I know my depot will be closed out by the end of the week.

Can anyone there tell me if there is a lot of work left? I counted 84 runs left here at U/P as of yesterday. That's including all open runs, the extra list, V/R & work runs that are left.

It varies, there is nothing set in stone. My brother who works for Nielsen IAG was told last week that the Manhattan office where he has been working for the last 7 years will be moving to Florida in October..5 months advance notice which is a lot, but that is in the private sector. With the public sector it's different because you have unions involved.

Is your husband still on the extra list or does he have his own run by now? Does he like it at Fresh Pond Depot?

You can forget about UP or JG, these two will be gone by the time we will get to pick

heheh

Mta has cut 70 runs from JG, so 70 drivers are moving to a different depot.

that sux! They told us that UP lost 34 runs.. but they compare to last summer, b/c it is the summer pick/schedule.. Not compared to the current pick we are under.. So in reality I am sure there is a lot more than 34 current runs lost..

I'm real curious to see what happens come September.. If they bring back work b/c school is back in session, or they keep it as is with the cuts.

Check the Workers Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act they are supposed to give you some type of notice

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/29C23.txt

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_08/20cfr639_08.html

• 2 months later...
I don't think operating personnel wont be affected by the cuts. The training we get has dollar value to the TA, so they have more invested in us.. I'd say non essentials like cleaning, station agents, booths will be effected in the TA.. I'd bet the WEPs will be back too.. I heard that most of the HR support staff is being let go, and being replaced with a tele-computer info system.. Also consider, they said 'MTA expects 1000 job cuts..' not NYCT job cuts, so LIRR, MNRR, B&TA are all going to be candidates for cuts as well.. MTA last I knew had around 80K employees across all divisions, so 1000 reduction isn't much with retirements, ect....

I heard some talk that the 1 year pick was granted by the arbitrator with a decent wage package, but no confirmation from anyone other than this one source. BUT it just seems strange that the union put out a flier this time about THEM demanding the picks starting at the same time.. We'll see, pick wisely.. RTTO

From what I have heard from a current Station Agent, the next round of booth closings will be closing lightly used station booths during night hours, and total elimination when Smart Card comes alive.

From what I have heard from a current Station Agent, the next round of booth closings will be closing lightly used station booths during night hours, and total elimination when Smart Card comes alive.

Those you heard about are probably going to be the 200 S/A layoffs they are talking about doing next year, like you said to go with the smart card.

Archived