Slants

BSmith

The R40. So what do you guys think of them??

I thought they were landmark trains, a forward-looking, interesting design failure.

I say they are landmark because they brought:

large (VERY large) colored signs to the front of the train

slight curvature to the sides

larger destination roll signs

larger side and door windows (spoiled on the doors in the rebuild)--increasing visibility out of the train

and a biggie, air-conditioning starting with (I believe) 4370 (please check, I may be wrong on this)

Glaring design problems were the slants providing unsafe distance between cars, stealing interior space, making the operator feel like he was in a fishbowl, no protection between cars so they had several add-ons during their lives, seats are too short in the back, lots of sliding around.

They did mark a new design direction, and the 40Ms fixed some of the glaring errors, but not all.

Debuted on the F line, 1968. Will probably have served the A line last sometime this year.

Ran on F, E, first, then pretty much all of the B-division lines. Not sure about the Canarsie line, though.

the R40s did run on the Canarsie Line until 2001. i remember in 2003, i saw a lone R40 car at the Avenue X yard with (L) destination signs waiting to be scrapped (i do not remember the number). the only lines R40s did not run on were the (G)(J)(R)(V)(Z).

R40s are ugly in appearance, but they are a force to be reckoned with when it comes to speed, air-conditoning, and view. i commonly refer to them as "speed-demons." i miss them on the (B) a lot. like i said before, the (;) should have kept its R40s while R68/68As should have gone to the (A). that way, everyone wins.

The R40 Slants are the next unique car after the Redbirds. I haven't rode them much throughout my life but all the times I did - it was awesome. (When they ran on the (Q), (B) and now the (A) ) Like the OP said, all the features contributed to their greatness. I love the fact that they make so much noise over their propulsion systems.

The only thing I like about them are their non-faulty A/C. Otherwise, they have to be one of the worse cars built. Their benches are just intolerable...

I don't agree about the other stuff, but in summer if you want a cool ride catch an R40 for sure.

- A

the only lines R40s did not run on were the (G)(J)(R)(V)(Z)
Did they actually run on the (D)?

As for the Slants, I really like(d) them because of their unique design. Not so much for their uncomfortable seating, as well as the RFW which was kind of awkwardly shaped and way too small (horizontally, not vertically) in comparison to the RFW of the R32/38/40M/42.

the R40s did run on the Canarsie Line until 2001. i remember in 2003, i saw a lone R40 car at the Avenue X yard with (L) destination signs waiting to be scrapped (i do not remember the number). the only lines R40s did not run on were the (G)(J)(R)(V)(Z).

R40 slants have ran on the (J) (only happened once or twice) (R) and (V) lines.the slant that was on the (R) was a put-in,but it ran on the line.the

(V) line started in dec 2001,but 3 months before they used R40 cars to

test out the line.don't remember if they ever on the (G) line.

The slants are very interesting cars and one of the fastest I might add. They would always speed up along the (:) when I was a child! They have working A/Cs on every slant that I have been on (that's a LOT!). However, the earlier slants without the pantograph gates posed a SERIOUS risk to the public. They had to lock up the doors in the event a dumb passenger might want to cross over during a turn.

Very unique and formerly VERY dangerous!

Summer 2008 was very hot on some days, especially the day i went ot buy a new pair of crocs up on the west side. Took the (;) there and back from midtown. Cooled my woman & i down enough to continue the planned activities that day. Also, my trip out to brighton beach was made easier by the comfort level made possible by the AC. :)

- A

The R40s have the best A/C in the system! 10x better than the R142-R160 A/Cs.

That's only true because the NTTs have some sort of technology that's supposed to warm up or cool down the temperature at a specific temperature. The R40s just warm or cool adjustingly.

R40 slants have ran on the (J) (only happened once or twice) (R) and (V) lines.the slant that was on the (R) was a put-in,but it ran on the line.the

(V) line started in dec 2001,but 3 months before they used R40 cars to

test out the line.don't remember if they ever on the (G) line.

the (G)(R) never used R40s and there was a photo of an R40 marked for the (V), but it never actually ran in revenue service. how can R40s run on the (J) if they were never maintained at ENY. R40s were maintained at Rockaway Yard for the (L).

the (G)(R) never used R40s and there was a photo of an R40 marked for the (V), but it never actually ran in revenue service. how can R40s run on the (J) if they were never maintained at ENY. R40s were maintained at Rockaway Yard for the (L).

The (G) used slants pretty recently, there's a pic of one somewhere on the net. Also in the 1970s the (G) ran slants from time to time. Although in the 1970s, it was called the GG.

The (R), not sure? Possibly, but not sure.

The (V) is a recent line, and as far as I know has used nothing but R46s. Maybe it is the only Jamaica line that has used nothing but R46s.

Pre-GOH,the R40 were on the (R) and (G) for a time.post GOH,there was one

case where a (W) train of R40's was used as an (R) train,someone from subchat posted a pic of that.

I think it was R32 and R40 slant cars were used to test out the (V) line.

Rockway (Carnarsie) yard is a storage yard,the main yard/shop for the ED

is ENY.the R40 slants ran on the (M) line,but that was also rare.i still remember

that one day in spring '01,i was waiting for a (J) to go to school.to my surprise,an slant (J) shows up.took it to Norwood Av,only time i'v seen a slant on the (J).

The (G) used slants pretty recently, there's a pic of one somewhere on the net. Also in the 1970s the (G) ran slants from time to time. Although in the 1970s, it was called the GG.

The (R), not sure? Possibly, but not sure.

The (V) is a recent line, and as far as I know has used nothing but R46s. Maybe it is the only Jamaica line that has used nothing but R46s.

there is a photo of an R40 marked for the (G) taken in April 2006, but that was actually an R40 (N) train that had the wrong roll sign. i remember seeing that in person when the (N) ran on the Brighton Line to replace the (Q). R40M/42s ran on the GG, but i never saw a slant there, nor did i ever see one of the (R)<R>. R40s could not run on the (V) because Jamaica does not use those cars.

there is a photo of an R40 marked for the (G) taken in April 2006, but that was actually an R40 (N) train that had the wrong roll sign. i remember seeing that in person when the (N) ran on the Brighton Line to replace the (Q). R40M/42s ran on the GG, but i never saw a slant there, nor did i ever see one of the (R)<R>. R40s could not run on the (V) because Jamaica does not use those cars.

People are always messing with those. I saw a (J) on a (B) train last summer. Frickin foamers. :(

- A

Archived