I've Heard Some Rumors...

Dasglion

Those figures have NOTHING to do with the cost of the tunnel. The MTA will NOT be buying any equipment. All of this is done by contractors that bid on projects which already own the necessary equipment to get the job done or sub-contract it to someone else that does. Admit it. You have no real source of that 5 billion dollars.

I really am still trying to figure out where your getting your figures for adding tracks to the VNB adding up to 1 Billion. The tunnel project has to be more than 5 billion after speaking to my Uncle who use in a tunneling Company but is now retired.

I wish people would understand that while the idea is great in theory, it will not happen, not any time in the next 50 years anyway.

The sheer engineering behind the project is beyond anything that can be done at any point in the foreseeable future.

So instead of fighting with each other (which is pointless anyway), save your time and just understand that none of us will probably see it in our lifetime.

I wish people would understand that while the idea is great in theory, it will not happen, not any time in the next 50 years anyway.

The sheer engineering behind the project is beyond anything that can be done at any point in the foreseeable future.

So instead of fighting with each other (which is pointless anyway), save your time and just understand that none of us will probably see it in our lifetime.

Thank you.

The Islanders' options of getting to Manhattan are really limited

If they were to use the VNB, a way to avoid the steep climb is for them to reconfigure the tracks and use the other half of the 4th Avenue tunnel. Have it ramp out to an El and then make it's way to the bridge.

More money, but theoretically less of an engineering challenge than a tunnel or ramping up and out after 95th St.

And why is everyone talking about the currents when a tunnel like that would almost certainly have to be deep-bore? A tunnel like the 63rd st line (in a trench) would be very, very difficult so I don't think it would even be considered.

Archived