Amtrak train collides with car pushed onto tracks by accident in N.J.; major delays,

Trainspotter

A car that was hit by a train is lifted onto a wrecker in North Brunswick, N.J. on Thurs. The driver was able to escape after the car was pushed onto train tracks following an accident.

A northbound Amtrak train struck a car propelled onto the tracks by an accident on a nearby street, causing widespread delays at the end of the Thursday morning rush hour, authorities said.

The train - headed from Washington to Boston - was just south of North Brunswick, N.J., when it struck a car left on the tracks by the accident on a parallel road, said Dan Stessel, spokesman for New Jersey Transit.

Details on the first accident were sparse, but Stessel said the car went from Livingston Avenue onto the second of four tracks running through the area.

The debris from the train-car collision shut down two of the four tracks through the area, leaving two open and leading to 30-minute delays on trains running through central New Jersey.

Amtrak spokesman Cliff Cole said there were no injuries to the 278 passengers and crew aboard the northbound train. There were no immediate reports of injuries from the damaged car.

Authorities were unsure how long the delays would continue.

By Larry Mcshane

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

March 26th 2009

post-5-133288580314_thumb.jpg

post-5-133288580314_thumb.jpg

Glad no one was hurt.

Word. Miracle on the rail?

With the wording stating that it hit a train car, i'm guessing it was a ny bound keystone. I think they need to put those cable barriers there. They work wonders on the divided highways. Hope the metroliner cab car isnt too badly damaged. They don't have many to spare.

- A

Anyone have any information on the equipment involved? Is it ok, any damage?

- A

Like I said it was an HHP-8, from a friend who is an engineer I have learned there was some damage to the side but the thing should be back up an running after some shop time. The unit btw is 651. Here is a photo of 651 in happier times:http://kaback9.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1444759

I happen to be coming down on a train when this happen. It was kinda funny because when we heard this on the radio no one could believe it. HHP 651 had some good damage to the side from which I saw at the scene. Like someone said before a little shop time and it should back in no time.

• 2 months later...
No Boston to DC

It was NY bound, i saw the remnants of parts of the car & debris from the impact from the loco, it was on the northbound side. Through that area trains do not wrong rail unless there is an unavoidable incident.

- A

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Horrible. After I seen video of railroad crossing safety on video, every time when I was near track or train, I make sure car wouldn't do reckless thing, including pedestrian.

Motorists and pedestrians really need to think!

Just like Operation Lifesaver says,

Motorists must stop and look both ways and turn off radio, stop talking/text messaging on cell phone, open windows to listen for approaching train.

School bus and other commercial bus. Only school bus must flash harzadous light to indicate cars behind must wait for school bus.

This happened on GoBus#28 with female driver. She knows rule of road. She opened front door to listen for train. She look both way and it was clear, so she proceed.

If all car and motorist drivers follows rule of railroad crossing, that driver might have survived.

Maybe that car driver wasn't paying attention?

Archived