2009 Service Reduction Implemenation Timetable

Harry

This makes me wonder whether or not we will ever see the service restored some time in the future, or the fares back at the sweet $2.B)

I think after all the budget deficits are paid off and the global economic downturn gets better (which I think could be a few years), service and fares will return back to normal.

This makes me wonder whether or not we will ever see the service restored some time in the future, or the fares back at the sweet $2.B)

I think after all the budget deficits are paid off and the global economic downturn gets better (which I think could be a few years), service and fares will return back to normal.

Fares won't go down once they increase. Heck, when the fare went from a nickel to a dime, there was a huge reaction. Yet the days of the 5 cent fare were long gone. Look at the fares from 1904-2009. In this 105 year period, there was not a single time where the fare decreased and been kept like that. There is an upward trend in the fares. Honestly, I don't think any operator would slash fares to original prices. Regardless of the fiscal situation.

Fares won't go down once they increase. Heck, when the fare went from a nickel to a dime, there was a huge reaction. Yet the days of the 5 cent fare were long gone. Look at the fares from 1904-2009. In this 105 year period, there was not a single time where the fare decreased and been kept like that. There is an upward trend in the fares. Honestly, I don't think any operator would slash fares to original prices. Regardless of the fiscal situation.

But isn't the only reason fares are rising is to cover a budget deficit? If so, once covered, there is no reason why fares should remain at that level. I'm sure the public wouldn't go for it either.

The Bx20 needs to be canned. It's a waste of diesel, and bus. The Bx4 needs to go also. It runs exactly under the (6) and (2) and (5). Only between Whitlock, and Southern Blvd (about 2-3 stops) does it run independently, and they are walkable stops, from Whitlock, to Southern Blvd.....

As for the subway service becoming 30 minutes, it sucks as those who rely on overnight service will wait longer, but with 30 minute headways you get more people on per train, and eliminate 1 crew overnight. Like I said before, MTA is a business, not just an public agency. They need to eliminate some of the wasteful routes, and make subway service every 30 minutes (it will be every 15 minutes where lines merge and work together for a distance, like the (4) and (6), from 125 to Brooklyn Bridge)........

Your last fare increase was to pay for increased service. This one is for less service. Do you actually believe these bean counters at (MTA) will ever pay off a deficit ? The truth is the (MTA), in league with the big banks, have been running a scam for years. They must " pay the bondholders " so there will always be a deficit to pay off. Those new subway cars and buses you posters love so much...all bought with bonds that must be paid off. We're dealing with an entity that's kept at least two sets of books in the past. Cut service, drive riders away and you'll always have a budget shortfall and need to raise fares. Eliminate workers and less pay, health benefits, and pension money you pay out. Service gets worse so raise the fares and tolls again. It's a never ending cycle. I'd like to see the state Comptroller, Attorney General, and the U.S. Attorney for the Southern or Eastern District take a look at the (MTA). I bet they'd find that Bernie Madoff wasn't the only scammer in NY.

• 2 weeks later...
But isn't the only reason fares are rising is to cover a budget deficit? If so, once covered, there is no reason why fares should remain at that level. I'm sure the public wouldn't go for it either.

Since when did we see subway fares fall throughout its history? Even after the deficit is covered, the extra money generated can be used wisely to invest into more helpful services. If fares go down again, do you think it will help much? Besides, the American dollar fluctuates.

I'm sad now because they are raising the fares to $2.50

Why, you have a student pass...

Next year the (MTA) is AGAIN predicting a $300 million budget shortfall. Fares will likely go up to, I'd say, $110 an unlimited with no base fare raise. It's only about a quarter of the current deficit so there's probably not going to be any service cuts.

But one thing I don't understand is why the (MTA) CONTINUES to keep bonuses on the cards even AFTER the service cut. I don't CARE if I pay $2.50 and get 1 free ride. I'd rather pay $2.25 (hypothetical) and no bonus. Right now, the riders just care about how much money they can save in general. People will not like having to pay extra for some stupid bonus.

Why, you have a student pass...

Next year the (MTA) is AGAIN predicting a $300 million budget shortfall. Fares will likely go up to, I'd say, $110 an unlimited with no base fare raise. It's only about a quarter of the current deficit so there's probably not going to be any service cuts.

But one thing I don't understand is why the (MTA) CONTINUES to keep bonuses on the cards even AFTER the service cut. I don't CARE if I pay $2.50 and get 1 free ride. I'd rather pay $2.25 (hypothetical) and no bonus. Right now, the riders just care about how much money they can save in general. People will not like having to pay extra for some stupid bonus.

There is no incentive behind the pay per ride bonus scheme.

The Bx20 needs to be canned. It's a waste of diesel, and bus. The Bx4 needs to go also. It runs exactly under the (6) and (2) and (5). Only between Whitlock, and Southern Blvd (about 2-3 stops) does it run independently, and they are walkable stops, from Whitlock, to Southern Blvd.....

As for the subway service becoming 30 minutes, it sucks as those who rely on overnight service will wait longer, but with 30 minute headways you get more people on per train, and eliminate 1 crew overnight. Like I said before, MTA is a business, not just an public agency. They need to eliminate some of the wasteful routes, and make subway service every 30 minutes (it will be every 15 minutes where lines merge and work together for a distance, like the (4) and (6), from 125 to Brooklyn Bridge)........

I agree that the BX20 could easily be replaced and just extend the M100 to 246th St/HHP on every 2-3rd trip. Let make clear extending the M100 to 262/Bway on NYC-Yonkers like prior to 1990 is a bad move.

Most M100's should terminate/start at 231-Broadway as that is a horrible current terminal (middle of nowwhere literally)at the Kingsbridge depot on 220th St-Bway. Extending the M100 to 231 adds at most maybe 5-8 travel time.

I strongly disagree with DOB2RTO about canning the BX4. He forgets the ADA issue in which none of the Westechester Ave (6)(2) and (5) except for 3rd Ave-149th, and Intervale are accesible for wheelchairs and the disabled/eledery.

Acess a Ride has a bad repution at least from newspaper articles i read for having a few 'rude drivers, who have moving violations, vans in which wheelchair lifts are sometimes broken or the vechiles having no heat or a/c in hot or cold weather.

Routes like the BX4 Q-56((J) train) B-37(mainly the (R) ) and B25 ((A) and (C)) which despite parelling subway routes most of the way does get riders and should stay.

For the Q56 B37 and B25 routes which are all currently full time routes 24/7 lines, reducing it to running it 5am-Midnight Daily is imo a 'fair compromise.'

Guest Charles

Routes like the BX4 Q-56((J) train) B-37(mainly the (R) ) and B25 ((A) and (C)) which despite parelling subway routes most of the way does get riders and should stay.

For the Q56 B37 and B25 routes which are all currently full time routes 24/7 lines, reducing it to running it 5am-Midnight Daily is imo a 'fair compromise.'

The M10 too, especially when CPW service is disrupted, and it often is.

That saved my life last time! The subway was messing up one Saturday and I had to go to my girl's place. She freaked out when I told her that they were going to axe the M10.

I take the M10 bus in Manhattan alot and now I'm upset and have to pay $5.00 in total to take the Subway 2 times

Archived