Second Avenue Local and Express

Dasglion

Yea, like that.

Say, the auxiliary track is on the west side (adjacent to the southbound track), then only the southbound track could connect it. It would be more efficient for a middle track splitting and merging with the two flanking tracks before a station. Maybe the middle track could dive under the station.

Say, the auxiliary track is on the west side (adjacent to the southbound track), then only the southbound track could connect it. It would be more efficient for a middle track splitting and merging with the two flanking tracks before a station. Maybe the middle track could dive under the station.

Yea, but that will cost more money.

The current SAS has never been intended to be more than two tracks for most of the line. The 72nd street station was originally intended to be three tracks, but due to budget concerns was cut back to two. SAS is not intended to be expanded for express service in the future, and provisions are NOT being made, but that does not necessarily mean that such would be impossible to do in the future.

The R44s were originally geared for 70 mph on the 2nd Avenue along with some of the R46s. I hope that the MTA still opt for the 2nd Avenue line to run 75' cars.

If the rumors that Jamaica Yard is getting R179's (which are supposedly 75') are true, I would guess the (T) utilizes them. But we wont see the (T) for another 20 years or so. The (Q) will be utilizing R160's though.

If the rumors that Jamaica Yard is getting R179's (which are supposedly 75') are true, I would guess the (T) utilizes them. But we wont see the (T) for another 20 years or so. The (Q) will be utilizing R160's though.

The thing is, we are not sure which yard the T will be based out of YET. It's too early to talk about this.

I heard the (T) is going to be getting R-179's (indefinate and unconfirmed) and R-160's and is based out of Jamaica Yard (indefinate and unconfirmed)... So that is basically what I know...

The thing about is, everything regarding the SAS is TBD. Phase 1 is still under construction and meanwhile we are trying to talk about the operations of a line that won't exist until Phase 3? Come on, a lot of things can happen. We should hold off until we receive more definite news, when at least the first and second phases are completed and the third is under construction. It's too early for this kind of speculation.

It makes the most sense for the (T) to be based out of Jamaica. They certainly aren't building a new yard for it. It'll be the first non shuttle line to stay solely in Manhattan. CIY wouldn't make sense since it's WAY far away. Jamaica is the closest and has the easiest access.

It's never too early to speculate or "guess". As long as peopel hold their tongue and don't go around saying "It WILL be this and WILL be that"... it's totally fine.

Nice job avoiding my disagreement with you.

Anyway. Since the Lex line is still packed on the weekends, it would make sense for them to run... to aid in service. I'm sure by then we'll be past ecomnomic problems so tunning trains a bit farther wouldn't be a money issue.

Nice job avoiding my disagreement with you.

Anyway. Since the Lex line is still packed on the weekends, it would make sense for them to run... to aid in service. I'm sure by then we'll be past ecomnomic problems so tunning trains a bit farther wouldn't be a money issue.

Well I mean, the other phases of the line are still under construction. Perhaps shutting service for a few hours might expedite construction.

It makes the most sense for the (T) to be based out of Jamaica. They certainly aren't building a new yard for it. It'll be the first non shuttle line to stay solely in Manhattan. CIY wouldn't make sense since it's WAY far away. Jamaica is the closest and has the easiest access.

It's never too early to speculate or "guess". As long as peopel hold their tongue and don't go around saying "It WILL be this and WILL be that"... it's totally fine.

I don't think that the (T) will come from Jamaica. I think it'll be based off Coney Island Facilities because the (Q) will also run on a section of the (T) and that is maintained off Coney Island. Plus, it might make sense where the (T) and the (Q) might swap cars.

I don't think that the (T) will come from Jamaica. I think it'll be based off Coney Island Facilities because the (Q) will also run on a section of the (T) and that is maintained off Coney Island. Plus, it might make sense where the (T) and the (Q) might swap cars.

No, remember they will build a track connection to the 63rd Street tunnel. That will be used for non-revenue moves. So, Jamaica Yard would make a lot of sense. Remember, the T will run the length of Manhattan, it wouldn't travel via the Stubway, down the Broadway line, to Brighton then hop over to CIY. With the track connection to the East River tunnel, these trains could run on the F straight to Jamaica Yard.

So it would be much more simpler to use Jamaica.

Yeah... what MTR said. The (Q) is already terminating at Coney Island. The (T) is terminating no where near CIY.

After 125 Street, extend the T and Q to the Bronx via 3 Avenue and a yard can be built around that area. But until Phase 1 is complete, then I guess it might come from Jamaica.

That's too overpriced then, if it comes from the Bronx, and build a yard there. There is still enough room for Jamaica if the (T) runs 24/7 and since it is a relativly short 2-track line, not that many sets are needed, but the (T) might not run till another 10 years.

I doubt that the SAS would be needed in the Bronx. 125th St station has free transfer to the Lexington Line, which handles its Bronx sections quite well. Besides, I doubt that the MTA would spend more money on drilling a tunnel under the Harlem.

I doubt that the SAS would be needed in the Bronx. 125th St station has free transfer to the Lexington Line, which handles its Bronx sections quite well. Besides, I doubt that the MTA would spend more money on drilling a tunnel under the Harlem.

Well, how about Third Avenue?

And under the plans, there is a provision for a Bronx extension.

Quite true, like I said, it might overrun the budget for SAS.

Quite true, like I said, it might overrun the budget for SAS.

Right now, CC is focusing on the first four phases. There are intentions to extend elsewhere, but that is for later. Of course, these are for budgetary concerns.

However, the Regional Planning Assoc. believed it was necessary for the SAS to extend into the Bronx. http://www.rpa.org/2008/10/rpa-releases-transit-blueprint.html

If it dosn't go into the Bronx, then it's useless. But at today's economy, I doubt that the SAS will ever get complete.

It is NOT useless. The main function of the SAS is to alleviate overcrowding on the (4)(5)(6) on Lexington Avenue, NOT to provide service into the Bronx.

Archived