Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
metsfan

What is the rail load rating for the NEC?

An average Acela is 624 tons minus the passengers. If only the FRA made the restrictions to be as light as the TGV POS trainsets...

Do you want to include Freight? I know NS uses the line in some places as does CSAO.

Yea, because i know PRR ordered rail based on the loads it knew would be running on it, some being very hefty, others being much lighter. just wondering if that practice is still in use, or do they simply have a standard build and not run over the max?

If so, i know the track is physically different between certain points, some of the rails being jointed, some are CWR, some spots have grind marks from wheel spin and other spots are like new, and the ties vary between needing replacement and new, and the ties vary between concrete of varying load capacities, and wood...

Just wondering, since there's a lot of history to it.

- A

Ok glad were including freight. They run slab trains which I know are pretty heavy!

So i guess it's just stronger steel vs the old stuff they had to work with.

- A