LIB fare could go up to $3.50

aemoreira81

If there is no bailout---the base fare would be $3.50.

In addition, acceptance of Unlimited-Ride MetroCards would cease on LI Bus.

http://www.mta.info/mta/09/overview.html

-----

My thought? Many of those LIB units will end up being bound for the city when ridership plummets...and that could well kill Nassau County's economy when people decide to vote with their feet and move out.

With the $3.50 fare and denial of unlimited ride metrocard, it's more like an over 100% increase in fares. I just called a whole bunch of Nassau legislators, like Dianne Yaturo and the head jerk himself, Tom Suozzi. Their assistants seemed totally ignorant on the issue and I probably wont hear back from any of them.

I live in Nassau so avoiding LI Bus wont be easy, but that's what I'll do. Grocery shopping, doctors, everything will be moved to Suffolk.

I'll still have to take the LIRR there, but I'm fortunate to live within walking distance of the LIRR, and even with a fare increase it will be cheaper than LI Bus.

Case in point, LIRR from Mineola to Hicksville will cost $2.50, still a dollar less than LI Bus. And it will be much faster.

But I'm considering boycotting everything in Nassau as I dont want my sales taxes going to county that could care less about public transportation.

This will destroy LI Bus, ridership will plummet leading to more cuts. I believe TWU 252 is working without a contract as well. Sometimes I wish they would go on strike. Then the ignorant snobs in this county would see how important the buses are when there's no cashiers in the stores and a shortage of nurses in the hospitals, not to mention the Goldmans in East Hills will have to do their own lawns.

%&^%^ the Taylor Law. :mad:

It also going to confuse Unlimited MetroCard passengers.

Not many passengers listen to news like when they raise fare on Long Island Bus, and when Unlimited MetroCard is not accepted, it could be this senerial.

After $3.50 Fare Hike

For N20,

Passenger coming out of (7) with Unlimited MetroCard boards the bus trying to Broadway Mall via N20.

Not knowing the Long Island Bus is $3.50 and passenger might think $2.50.

When passenger swipes MetroCard, bus operators says, Unlimited MetroCard is not accepted.

Passenger would might argue it's $2.50 but LIB operators will said, Long Island Bus is $3.50. You only could use coins or Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard.

These going to make everyone with Unlimited MetroCard furious.

I have seen lots of subway riders and city buses transfering to/from Long Island Bus.

This is terrible I will fan LIB until the fares raise, better have my fun now while I could. This is complete bull. $3.50 for a damn bus is unacceptable, why the hell would they do this to Long Island? On top of that the unlimited MetroCards costing $103 and they won't even work for Long Island anymore?! The MTA is ran by a bunch of dumbasses who can't manage money well and they wan't us to save thier sorry asses. It's a freaking shame!

Well, the NYS Gavernment is doing no good. Transportation Bail-Out is vital since the majority of Americans go to Malls and Shop. Now, I need to shave down trips to NYC Malls as well as the Newport Center in Newport, NJ... Still can go to R.F. Mall since I've got a car...

And that's what the state needs to worry about---Newport Centre Mall is just across the river, and also, businesses when their workers cannot get to work may just decide to up and leave. It happened once to Broadway Mall.

And that's what the state needs to worry about---Newport Centre Mall is just across the river, and also, businesses when their workers cannot get to work may just decide to up and leave. It happened once to Broadway Mall.

Newport center mall is accessible by 2 PATH lines & 2 HBLR lines. Also, it's packed after about 2 pm. I go there all the time & it does not look in danger of closing or whatnot. (NJT) & NJ in general are not only in better shape, but is run better than NY/(MTA). All you gotta do is cross the hudson on PATH & things look worse economically.

As far as bus fare going up, uh, why? Fuel prices are way down from the highs last summer & ridership is at an all time high. Meh.

- A

Newport center mall is accessible by 2 PATH lines & 2 HBLR lines. Also, it's packed after about 2 pm. I go there all the time & it does not look in danger of closing or whatnot. (NJT) & NJ in general are not only in better shape, but is run better than NY/(MTA). All you gotta do is cross the hudson on PATH & things look worse economically.

As far as bus fare going up, uh, why? Fuel prices are way down from the highs last summer & ridership is at an all time high. Meh.

- A

To be fair, Roosevelt Field is a much better mall than Newport. Still, I refuse to pay that much money for crappy LI Bus service.

To be fair, Roosevelt Field is a much better mall than Newport. Still, I refuse to pay that much money for crappy LI Bus service.
Like Shane said I bet dollar vans will start swarming following LIB routes..

...yep... and commence in raising their fares to $2.50 as well... those sons of guns (puttin it mildly) always raise their fares when the MTA does... in direct proportion - it's happened since the MTA fare was $1.25 per ride...

(When the MTA fare was $1.15, dollar cabs/vans still charged $1.00)....

---------------------------------

This is terrible I will fan LIB until the fares raise, better have my fun now while I could. This is complete bull. $3.50 for a damn bus is unacceptable, why the hell would they do this to Long Island? On top of that the unlimited MetroCards costing $103 and they won't even work for Long Island anymore?! The MTA is ran by a bunch of dumbasses who can't manage money well and they wan't us to save thier sorry asses. It's a freaking shame!

I hear what you're sayin, but in this particular case, I think the blame should be shifted elsewhere - that Tom Suozzi character shortchanged the MTA for years, regarding LIB.... this 75% (if my math is right) fare increase is, for the most part, a direct result of that... who suffers? the (as of late, increasing amount of) riders that use LIB ;)

....but yeh, I will also do as much LI fanning as I can before this increase (I will admit I haven't been on one for about 6 mos... a few reasons as to why)... b/c once the fare goes up, forget about it... I don't buy PPR metrocards, and wont do so for the sole purpose of boarding a LIB....

- A

Most agencies had to sign their fuel contracts JUST BEFORE the prices began to drop. NJT got lucky in that its fuel contract didn't expire until after prices dropped.

Until the MTA Police and NYPD start cracking down for lack of Nassau County TLC licensing and lack of USDOT permits, drug testing, etc.

A bit note: Taxicabs from Nassau County cannot pick up in New York City, even for trips heading to Nassau County. Pickups going to Nassau County can only be handled by taxis or limos licensed by the NYC TLC.

Agreeed, Its stupid to rasie the fare and take away the unlimeted, I was thinking of working out there in LI but with this going on, I have to stay in the city, I hope LI resident do something about this as well as Queens Residents who take these buses everyday.

I dunno about better/worse, but i like having HBRL and PATH right there.

I still think nyc needs some light rail to connect the subway and main line rail to places like malls.

- A

Agreeed, Its stupid to rasie the fare and take away the unlimeted, I was thinking of working out there in LI but with this going on, I have to stay in the city, I hope LI resident do something about this as well as Queens Residents who take these buses everyday.

I doubt it. Majority of the riders on LI Bus other than the poor and those who dont have cars are immgrants. Many of those riders are fearful of being deported so that a group of people most affected.

I am sure if the political leaders of Nassau County had their way, the only form of mass transit in LI would be the LIRR. Stupid biogted 20th Century thinking by those folks. Not a great idea in early years of the 21st century with 'parking lots' reguarly on the LIE 7 days a week.:mad:

That is another story (not to offend you)...

Not really. You could eliminate a few of the bus routes by having a large light rail system, and HBLR costs about the same ($3.50) for a ticket good for an hour and a half.

My point is, that bus or light rail, the POP system works, and could be implemented just as it has on the select bus. :)

- A

Not really. You could eliminate a few of the bus routes by having a large light rail system, and HBLR costs about the same ($3.50) for a ticket good for an hour and a half.

My point is, that bus or light rail, the POP system works, and could be implemented just as it has on the select bus. :)

- A

In all honesty, light rail will run much more efficiently than most of LIB routes, if implemented in the same area.

Archived