LIB fare could go up to $3.50

aemoreira81

Craig Johnson and Brian Foley are the 2 remaining Senators that need to get on board, I believe and they will hear from me again tomorrow.

The $3.50 fare will cripple LI Bus. The MTA may be trying to make a point about Nassau, but the revenue they will lose from the ridership decrease will mean it would've made more sense to have the fare at $2.50 like NYC.

Imagine Nassau buses will cost $2 more than Suffolk! The $3.50 fare needs to be put in that blue garbage bin once and for all and never see the light of day....period.

This goes against everything the MTA has been doing in Nassau. All I can say is if Johnson and Foley get away with stopping the bailout, they're gonna get a flaming pile of you know what at their doorstep!:mad:

Not to mention, Suffolk actually ALLOWS dollar bills! Let's see, $1.50 with dollar bills allowed vs. $3.50 with no dollar bills allowed......hmm, what would you choose? (Seriously, I think the MTA might be the only agency in the nation that does not accept dollar bills....)

I hope that if a bailout passes at all, LIB riders will be spared. Phase 2: oust Suozzi and elect someone who actually CARES about LIB riders.

Been keeping my eyes peeled about the Doomsday Bailout and have read online and seen on News12, ABC, etc. about the tentative deal with the $.50 taxi surcharge in NYC, fares on subways going up $.25 and...what about LI? Does this mean that LIB will be spared the $3.50 hike as well? It's frustrating to only hear about the subway and NYC buses and such but not a word on LI.

The MTA is a mess but at this point a bus hike out here to $2.25 is less a bitter pill to swallow than $3.50. Also allowing unlimited Metrocard use for the buses should be a no brainer. I just fear that every year this Doomsday BS is going to be pulled with the mindset of "We'll bump the bus and subway fares up another 25 cents instead of $.50-$1.50 and the riders will be thankful."

Here is e-mail to MTA I received.

Long Island Bus needs to STAY SAME FARE as NYC and WCDOT Bee-Line Buses

Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------------

Response (Doug Sussman) - 04/14/2009 09:21 PM

Dear Yuki Endo:

This is in response to your comments concerning the MTA’s decision to increase fares and tolls, reduce many of our services, and reduce administrative costs in order to comply with the New York State legal requirement to have a balanced operating budget for 2009.

Unfortunately, Nassau County has withdrawn financial support to subsidize Nassau County bus service. The MTA has an operating deficit of over one billion dollars and is unanble to make up the difference in the Long Island Bus deficit.

The March 25th MTA Board actions were the most difficult and painful policy decisions ever rendered in the 40- year history of the Authority. These horrific choices were made necessary because the MTA has an operating deficit in excess of $1 billion for 2009, and no legislative financial resources have been made available to stop this process at this time. Unless recurring and sufficient financial support is provided from our funding partners, further onerous and counterproductive service reductions and delays in completing essential capital improvements are a possible consequence in the coming years. This is shameful, disgraceful and it can be avoided with government assistance.

The MTA’s goal is to provide safe, reliable, seamless, and affordable transportation within the 5,000 square mile MTA service area. These fare and service actions run contrary to our mission, but the lack of support from the legislature, which created the MTA in the first place, has left us with no other options. This is an awful position for our customers, the recovery of the regional economy, and for our workforce. Regrettably, we are powerless to take any other measures aside from raising the cost to use our system, and/or reducing many services that have made our transportation network the standard by which all other transit systems are measured. No additional internal MTA administrative savings remain for us to achieve without sacrificing customer safety. None.

I have attached the link ( http://www.mta.info/mta/news/releases/?en=090325-HQ9'>http://www.mta.info/mta/news/releases/?en=090325-HQ9) to our website that further describes the essence of the approved plan (please see our press release on the MTA website http://www.mta.info).

We remain cautiously optimistic that our frequent meetings with legislators and customer communication with them will allow us to cancel or postpone this plan. Thank you very much for your comments and hopefully, your understanding of this dire situation.

Sincerely,

Douglas R. Sussman

Director

Community Affairs

I'm going to ask again just in case.

I still need details on how much will the Long Island Bus fare cost after bail-out? $2.25? $3.25? $3.50? What is the cost of the Long Island Bus fare be?

It's frustrating! Various news outlets have been giving up to the minute info on NYC but nothing for Long Island. Even ding dang Channel 12 News is coming up empty, sheesh!

...yep... and commence in raising their fares to $2.50 as well... those sons of guns (puttin it mildly) always raise their fares when the MTA does... in direct proportion - it's happened since the MTA fare was $1.25 per ride...

(When the MTA fare was $1.15, dollar cabs/vans still charged $1.00)....

I think the dollar vans raised their fares due to gas prices not b/c of (MTA)'s fare hikes!

Oh dear, I hope Long Island bus become part of NYC Bus because I really need $2.25 fare on LIB since my (my dad's just to be clear) car is unwell, :).

Two seperate agencies servicing two different areas under two different jurisdictions. NYCT bus services NYC exclusively. LIB is only for Nassau Cty and bordering areas in Queens. LIB can't become part of NYCT.

They could merge the MABSTOA and LIB with MTA Bus, though.

But how much will the LI Bus Fare be, no matter merge or not merge?

I don't know!!!!!!!!!!!!

The media focus is apparently on the bailout details and NYCT fares. No word of mention on B&T tolls, LIRR/MNR fares or LIB. Even details regarding Access-A-Ride and express buses are obscure.

The MTA should have a new fare chart Monday, filling in the gaps.

http://mta.info/mta/special_meeting.html

MTA Board Special Meeting

Monday, May 11, 2009

10 am

MTA Headquarters

347 Madison Avenue

5th Floor

New York City

The purpose of this special meeting is to brief the members of the Board concerning recent events at the State Legislature, specifically the bill enacted by the Legislature regarding funding for the MTA and to take actions relating to fare and toll adjustments in light of the legislation.

I think this will answer all questions of late. After that time we should pick up some more bits and pieces.

Yup, that meeting on the 11th will make sure what will happen in the (MTA) whole system after the Bail-Out.

IMO, this will only be a draft on what the post-bailout deal will be. I won't expect them to come up with a definite plan in one day. But mark my words, by Friday, we should be able to see the specifics.

I sent e-mail if MTA Bailout Rescue Plan includes LIB.

Response (Doug Sussman) - 05/11/2009 08:51 AM

Dear Mr. Endo:

The rate of fare increase on the Long Island Bus system will be determined at today's Special MTA Board Meeting, which convene in about one hour. You can watch the live webscast or view the results of the vote on the MTA website by this afternoon.

Sincerely,

Douglas R. Sussman

Director

Please, include Long Island Bus to become $2.25!

According to Newsday.com:

MTA board OKs 10 percent fare hike

BY ALFONSO A. CASTILLO | alfonso.castillo@newsday.com

12:13 PM EDT, May 11, 2009

The MTA board voted Monday to rescind the massive fare hikes previously adopted in their "doomsday" budget, and to instead implement a 10 percent increase this year, and another 7.5 percent in 2011 and 2013.

The board will vote later this month at a separate meeting to restore most service cuts, but will likely still make some reductions - including to station agents and cleaning crews at some Long Island Rail Road Stations, MTA officials said.

LIRR riders will be the first of the MTA's customers to see the new fare hikes, which will range from 9.75 percent to 10.75 percent. Those increases take effect June 17.

Fare hikes on subways and buses, including Long Island Bus, take effect June 28. Base fares on all those agencies will increase from $2 to $2.25.

Monthly MetroCards will go from $81 to $89.

---

Didn't get the entire article as it's a read and didn't know if everyone wanted it :) It went into behind the scenes stuff.

According to Newsday.com:

MTA board OKs 10 percent fare hike

BY ALFONSO A. CASTILLO | alfonso.castillo@newsday.com

12:13 PM EDT, May 11, 2009

The MTA board voted Monday to rescind the massive fare hikes previously adopted in their "doomsday" budget, and to instead implement a 10 percent increase this year, and another 7.5 percent in 2011 and 2013.

The board will vote later this month at a separate meeting to restore most service cuts, but will likely still make some reductions - including to station agents and cleaning crews at some Long Island Rail Road Stations, MTA officials said.

LIRR riders will be the first of the MTA's customers to see the new fare hikes, which will range from 9.75 percent to 10.75 percent. Those increases take effect June 17.

Fare hikes on subways and buses, including Long Island Bus, take effect June 28. Base fares on all those agencies will increase from $2 to $2.25.

Monthly MetroCards will go from $81 to $89.

---

Didn't get the entire article as it's a read and didn't know if everyone wanted it :) It went into behind the scenes stuff.

Minor good news LI Bus to go to $2.25, Free metrocard transfers to NYC Subways and Buses in Queens remains.

It's offical. Unlimited-ride Metrocards and most important 'free' transfers between NYC Subways & Buses/MTA Buses and LI Bus will remain.

This morning (5/11/09)the MTA Board approved the 'revised' systemwide fare hikes. This is much lower than the oringal planned $3.50 fare that also included doomesday service cuts.

The basic fare on LI Bus will only raise to $2.25 the same as in NYC. The LI Bus fare like in NYC takes effect starting Sunday June 28.

Guys especially those that use it on regular basis can breathe sigh of relief.

Archived