R160B on (E).

MattTrain

Wow...great catch. R-160B (E) that's really interesting!

Thank you, I knew it was an R160B (Kawasaki) since the car number was below 9293. It passed the (F) after Union Turnpike.

Great catch. You get my seal of approval with that photo.

Thanks a lot, man. I'm very grateful. I wonder if the R160As (Alstom) and R160Bs (Kawasaki) will be intermixed like the ones on the (N)(Q) and (W).

What's the difference between A and B? I never could tell. They look the same to me.

R160A is built by (Alstom) numbered (8313-8712) and (9233-9592)

R160B is numbered (8713-9232) and built by Kawasaki. Look for these manufacturing plates inside. If it's Kawasaki it's an R160B, if it's Alstom it's an R160A.

R160A is built by (Alstom) numbered (8313-8712) and (9233-9592)

R160B is numbered (8713-9232) and built by Kawasaki. Look for these manufacturing plates inside. If it's Kawasaki it's an R160B, if it's Alstom it's an R160A.

Do they sound different? Which one's have the 3-note tune, like you hear on the (2) train vs. the whine-up sound that you hear on the (6) or most of the (N) trains? Or do they sound the same? Right now, the (E)s that I've ridden on have the 3-note tune. How can they be distinguished besides the numbers? Most of the (E)s R160s are R160As, right? Jamaica will have mostly R160 As, right?

As a musician, I love the 3-note propulsion on some of the R142s and R160s.

Do they sound different? Which one's have the 3-note tune, like you hear on the (2) train vs. the whine-up sound that you hear on the (6) or most of the (N) trains? Or do they sound the same? Right now, the (E)s that I've ridden on have the 3-note tune. How can they be distinguished besides the numbers? Most of the (E)s R160s are R160As, right? Jamaica will have mostly R160 As, right?

the 3-note propulsion is on all R160A's (4 car and 5 car sets) and half of the R160B's. The R160B numbers that have the 3-note propulsion is 8713-8842, and 9103-9232. the ones that sound like the (N) is 8843-9102.

The three note propulsion is the Alstom Onix propulsion all R160A cars, while half of R160B's have that too. FreshPondDepot pretty much summed it up. There are different notes for the R160B Siemens propulsion. The (E) and (F) will not use R160B cars with Siemens Propulsion, let alone the R160B's will only be assigned to the (E), I think.

Awesome catch. I don't ride the subway that much and its amazing to see that the underground world of travel can change in the course of a few days... Or hours. I just wished the R160Bs on the (E) used Siemens. :( But, I can't complain for what I already have.

Awesome catch. I don't ride the subway that much and its amazing to see that the underground world of travel can change in the course of a few days... Or hours. I just wished the R160Bs on the (E) used Siemens. :( But, I can't complain for what I already have.

The remaining option order one cars of R160Bs are going to the (E) and all have Alstom Onix propulsion, but it would be nice to see an R160B Siemens propulsion on other lines other than (N)(Q) and (W). Thanks for your comment.

The remaining option order one cars of R160Bs are going to the (E) and all have Alstom Onix propulsion, but it would be nice to see an R160B Siemens propulsion on other lines other than (N)(Q) and (W). Thanks for your comment.

They might actually expend to other lines if more R160s are delivered. I would like to see some on the (A)(C)(E) lines.

The R160Bs (both Alstom and Siemens) seems relatively louder than the R160As especially during idlings. I really enjoy the fact that those R160Bs with Siemens propulsion accelerate faster than the ones with Alstom propulsion, but the sound is even louder than that of the R143s' Adtranz/Bombardier propulsion. I can hear the acceleration sound very well on the R160B Siemens trains, which sometimes get as annoying as those ambulance sirens. Above all, I prefer the R160As over the R160Bs anytime for quietness. Unfortunately, the R160As are notorious for broken FIND systems. I actually wish that the E remains all R160As so the IND lines can stay quiet, while the F gets a mix when either way it's going to run on BMT lines with other R160Bs.

Nice catch. Originally 9163-9192 were to be used as spares for CIY. But, according to my theory, RTO kind of knew what the turnout will be on the budget. So to anticipate for the cuts, they sent those 3 sets back to Jamaica since there is going to be more than enough cars for CI trains.

Nice catch. Originally 9163-9192 were to be used as spares for CIY. But, according to my theory, RTO kind of knew what the turnout will be on the budget. So to anticipate for the cuts, they sent those 3 sets back to Jamaica since there is going to be more than enough cars for CI trains.

Wow, interesting information you have there. R160B up to 9192 were going on the Coney Island Yard is what I did not know, to be honest with you. I thought that 8713-9162 was enough R160B cars for the (N)(Q) well the soon to be cut (W), unfortunately. I had a feeling that the (E) was going to use an R160B train set someday. In my opinion the Coney Island Yard has enough R160A/B cars already, so I think Jamaica Yard is more deserving of those newest cars.

Nice picture, I guess it;s something to look foward to run into

Yep thanks a bunch, go catch one if you can there was only one R160B set when I saw last time on the (E). You might have yourself a lucky day!

Wow, interesting information you have there. R160B up to 9192 were going on the Coney Island Yard is what I did not know, to be honest with you. I thought that 8713-9162 was enough R160B cars for the (N)(Q) well the soon to be cut (W), unfortunately. I had a feeling that the (E) was going to use an R160B train set someday. In my opinion the Coney Island Yard has enough R160A/B cars already, so I think Jamaica Yard is more deserving of those newest cars.

The funny thing was, as documented in an earlier edition of my R160 Datasheet, 9163-9232 were Jamaica stock, exclusively. 30 of them were planned to go back to Coney Island to be used as spares. In fact, they were found testing on the N. Finally, they were sent back to Jamaica. Technically, CI now has enough R160s to fill the N, Q and W up. However, since the W is going to be on the chopping block, those 100 R160s that are slated to go on it will be used for service adjustments on the N and Q, as well as spares. So that makes 9163-9192 redundant at CI. Plus, RTO is now knocking slants off with R46s taken out of Jamaica. So, the R160s are going there to fill up for the missing R160s, hence the F running R160s.

Archived