Is The Original BMT Tile under the current tile on the 4th Avenue line?

Maserati7200

As I'm sure some of you know, most of the the local stations along the 4th Ave line have that bland, ugly, faux-IND type refrigerator tile. In the event of rehabilitation (not anytime soon though) they would most likely revive the old tile... but is the old tile still there? A lot of the times the new subway tiles in stations are constructed over the original. I'd be really happy to see the original BMT tile back on the 4th Avenue line

The old tile is indeed underneath the refrigerator tiles. Some of the local stations along the Broadway BMT got the same treatment.

Seriously.. what was (NYCT) thinking in the 60's and 70's? Why would they cover up beautiful works of art (that needed fixing) with an ugly, bland, and boring tile?

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.1; en-us; dream) AppleWebKit/525.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Mobile Safari/523.12.2)

At the very end of some stations, you can see the old tile up to the reflex (270 degree) )corner of the wall coming out from the tunnel, and then it goes behind the new tile on the wall ending the station. I believe 9th Av southbound is one example of this.

Archived