Earth Hour. Do it.

metsfan

Give the earth a break, turn off your lights for an hour tonight. If you can do more, do more. Unplug all the unneeded things like tv and stuff.

I am turning my house off at the breaker box for one hour, then keeping the lights off for 2 additional hours, just to offset anyone who might forget to flick the switch off. :):cool:

http://www.earthhour.org/home/

If you care about humanity, future generations, and the future of species on this planet, please give the earth an hour.

8:30 PM to 9:30 PM.

See you on the other side. I know you lot will do the right thing. :)

- (A)

My house is turned off, and i'm sitting unplugged in a cafe in town. I biked here. The wifi i'm getting fron next door, since the stuff here seems to be malfunctioning.

I took video of me flipping each breaker switch then the main breaker. Will post that later tonight. I don't think i've been more excited to turn off a switch!

I will do video of turning it back on as well.

- A(E)

I did it, i shut my house off for an hour and a half. My room (tv, computer stuff etc) remains unplugged though for as long as my iBook battery holds out then i will plug the ibook in. Nothing else plugged in till 9:30 pm. :)

- A(E)

I mean come on, like this will SO help us being green.

Our practices require a huge energy consumption, and ONE HOUR in ONE YEAR does not make any difference. If people decide to "go green", embark on more "environmentally-friendly" lifestyles. Don't go online, that will help with the environment.

I'm keeping my lights on.

From the news they said this hour thing makes us waste more power because we turn everything back on and the energy from turning the stuff on is more than we can save in that hour. :)

Exactly. A lot of people waste a lot of energy, turn everything off for an hour, and then turn EVERYTHING back on for who knows how long. The point is for people to conserve energy all the time.

Myth. Things don't take more electricity to turn on unless it is a computer or stuff with moving parts to operate that has to "boot up". Turning lights off and on doesn't waste any thing extra when you turn them back on. I am so tired of people who want to invent new ways to excuse themselves from acting responsibly and try to cause doubt with ridiculous arguments that ignore logic science & fact. We have to change or we will go extinct. Not the most joyful info, but it's true and people need to grasp that. I personally don't feel like moving inland. I'd rather just use less resources and less energy. The point is to have as little impact & use as little as you possibly can, not ignore the warning signs and float care free to our demise in 2 generations.

- A

Myth. Things don't take more electricity to turn on unless it is a computer or stuff with moving parts to operate that has to "boot up". Turning lights off and on doesn't waste any thing extra when you turn them back on. I am so tired of people who want to invent new ways to excuse themselves from acting responsibly and try to cause doubt with ridiculous arguments that ignore logic science & fact. We have to change or we will go extinct. Not the most joyful info, but it's true and people need to grasp that. I personally don't feel like moving inland. I'd rather just use less resources and less energy. The point is to have as little impact & use as little as you possibly can, not ignore the warning signs and float care free to our demise in 2 generations.

- A

That wasn't my point. I could care less about how much energy it takes to turn something on. Most Americans live a lifestyle that wastes so many resources. Let's say all of them turn off their lights for one hour. Whoop dee doo. Now everyone's going to turn then back on again because they can't live without their precious electricity. What difference does the one hour make? It doesn't really raise awareness since not a lot of people know about it. This is no earth day. I'm not saying it's bad to turn everything off either but it's not like if everyone does it all ofo ur sins will be gone (which is the way most radical liberals think about it...not to say i'm a conservative).

I already try to conserve as much energy as I do. If others want to, they need to do something more long-term such as buy an energy star appliance.

All the lights in my house are energy saving light bulbs. I re use bathing towels. I turn the lights off when ever i leave a room. My household is pretty efficient. Those are some of the steps you can take to become more energy efficient. Not turning off your lights for 1 hour a year then guzzling power for the rest of the year.

We totally take for granted the magical stuff coming from the wall outlet. We expect that little hole to make the tv run. Well guess what, the joy ride is over, time to pay the fee. Solar panels are cool, but if every house had them, that would be something that would actually help reverse, not just diminish the emissions. How about instead of some satellite dish eyesore, have a small wind turbine.

If every house & building had a huge PV array built into the structure on the outside, plus a small wind turbine, not only would our electric bills go down, but in some cases it would drop to nothing OR you may even get a check worth some money. That combined with more appropriate use of lights and appliances will cut the need even more, and drastically reduce emissions.

I just wish people could see this for the HUGE crisis this is, vs some harebrained conspiracy. Then take the actions needed to fix it. We can fix it, but everyone needs to pitch in.

- A

This discussion emplifies why I hate the term "saving the environment." We're not saving it at all. We're only delaying its destruction. Turning off lights for an hour doesn't do anything about all the pollutants we've already released into the environment that will still do damage, lights off or on.

This discussion emplifies why I hate the term "saving the environment." We're not saving it at all. We're only delaying its destruction. Turning off lights for an hour doesn't do anything about all the pollutants we've already released into the environment that will still do damage, lights off or on.

Exactly, if the global warming due to CO2 emissions is correct, there is already a lot of greenhouse gases up there. And this won't do much to ameliorate the situation. The liberals should think of improving lifestyles, not shutting off lights for an hour.

The Earth is still going to be destroyed regardless of our efforts. We'll either kill ourselves with nuclear war with Iran, get wiped off the face of the earth by an asteroid or get destroyed when the Sun eventually turns into a red giant and eats up the earth.

The Earth is still going to be destroyed regardless of our efforts. We'll either kill ourselves with nuclear war with Iran, get wiped off the face of the earth by an asteroid or get destroyed when the Sun eventually turns into a red giant and eats up the earth.

Our efforts are futile.

No offence, but, I do not think that calling people "malicious uneducated fools" is appreciated here, and as mod, you should have a better choice of words.

Actually, what I meant to say is, global warming from human activities is MYTH. Evidence reports that solar storms can affect the climate on Earth. Some point the temperature change is due to cosmic rays and other phenomena outer space. In fact, recent studies showed that the ozone layer hole is closing.

No one called anyone anything. I'm done arguing, you refuse to see reason.

- A

Playing devil's advocate, but you refuse to consider our side of the argument either. I haven't seen one post from you that even looks at our side.

I'm not going to argue. This thread is for earth hour. You wanna talk send me a PM.

- A

I did it.

It felt good too.

Word! :cool:

I was so inspired that i biked into town to grab free wifi. My bro was going to join me, but he said he didn't have the energy & was determined to bike vs drive, so i met him on my way back instead, was fun, because he had a 3000 dollar custom bike my sisters' boyfriend left here to bike into the park with, and i just had my old 4 speed cruiser, and i still made it back before him! B)

- A

Archived