R32 and R160's on the QB

R32 3838

The MTA is making very wise choice here by keeping some R32s and R38s. The R32s are known for durability, but they seriously need to fix up those doors, A/Cs, brakes, and motors. As for the high MDBF R38s, the MTA should replace their roofs with those of reefed R32s. And 2 questions, how come 2 pairs of R38s are saved for the museum? I thought that only 1 pair would suffice. Also do you know if the preserved R38s have Westinghouse motors?

Because The R38's are very good class Subway Cars, Whoever thought they were saving one pair is wrong, I knew they were going to save more than 1 pair of R32's and R38's, The R32's and R38's made history in this system, I know they might save another R32 pair, 3650/3767, They are paired together, 3651 was involved in an accident in the 1970's so thats gone, 3650 was the 1st R32A and its a Phase I, R38 4028/29 westinghouse, R38 4140/41 is GE I rode both pairs so I know, R38 4140/41 was a must save because that pair along with 4142-49 were the 1st R38's with A/C, and 4028/29 was saved because they were in the best shape, so there is 2 pairs of R32's/38's saved.

I did some railfanning today. Stood at Queens Plaza for about 40 minutes. One R42/R40M (R), 3 R160 (E)s, 2 R160 (F)s. Most (E)s are R40M/R42, most (F)s are R46, most ®s are R46. Didn't see any R32s and didn't miss them either.

Now, my problem with the R160 is that it is making the color-codes almost irrelevant. The R46 at least has a big orange (F) as the identity sign, the R42/R40 M has the same bullet ID. The R160 has a red sign in the front, bright amber signs on the side, the color of the line in the bullet near the FIND sign, and on the a/c unit, the sign is amber. 3 different colors. I have the feeling, somewhere down the road, the digital signs will represent their line's colors. Maybe the R188, or R212. What I find impressive about the R160s are the great brakes.

I think the (F) uses four R160A sets during rush hours, and about 8-10 sets of R160A on (E). During other times, the (F) uses up to three sets only, not sure about the (E).

not rly bro, I was railfanning yesterday(this morning lol) and it was (Sunday) 12AM to 1AM and the (F) was on R160As at CI(me got shot =D), then heading home via the (D) i spotted an R160A downtown (F) at W4th street.

Now the question is, how long before the R46 on the (F) goes to the (A) and (C).. And is the (C) going 10 Cars this time, seeing R46 doesnt go 8 i think..

not rly bro, I was railfanning yesterday(this morning lol) and it was (Sunday) 12AM to 1AM and the (F) was on R160As at CI(me got shot =D), then heading home via the (D) i spotted an R160A downtown (F) at W4th street.

Now the question is, how long before the R46 on the (F) goes to the (A) and (C).. And is the (C) going 10 Cars this time, seeing R46 doesnt go 8 i think..

Once all the R32s are gone, the R46s would definitely go to the C. The point is to extend the C train to full length, not only 10 cars.

Once all the R32s are gone, the R46s would definitely go to the C. The point is to extend the C train to full length, not only 10 cars.

Not until all R160's are on TA Property if possible, That's why they wanted to do option order III so this way they can retire all of the 60 foot SMEE's but right now that's impossible because you need the R32's for (C) service and the MTA does not have enough money for option order III (230 R160's), There is not enough cars to make the (C) a full train of 10 cars (8 75 footers), Option order II would be a total of 382 R160's, 140 R160B, 242 R160A's, the last 64 of R160A's are going to ENY tto bump off the R42's. You have to talk to senoir T/O's and TSS's, Mainly the ones from the (A) line, They tell me all of this info, You have to study how many subway cars are in active service.

Not until all R160's are on TA Property if possible, That's why they wanted to do option order III so this way they can retire all of the 60 foot SMEE's but right now that's impossible because you need the R32's for (C) service and the MTA does not have enough money for option order III (230 R160's), There is not enough cars to make the (C) a full train of 10 cars (8 75 footers), Option order II would be a total of 382 R160's, 140 R160B, 242 R160A's, the last 64 of R160A's are going to ENY tto bump off the R42's. You have to talk to senoir T/O's and TSS's, Mainly the ones from the (A) line, They tell me all of this info, You have to study how many subway cars are in active service.
I always thought that the "Option III" woukd be used on the future T since people have stated on wiki and subchat that the T would run mostly R160Bs.

I always thought that the "Option III" woukd be used on the future T since people have stated on wiki and subchat that the T would run mostly R160Bs.

Wiki is not a good soruce, The R160 Option order III is to just full in the spot but that wont hppen because the MTA needs money for the R179's and The R188's(single Car Unit version of the R142 or R142A)

Wikipedia is not a reliable source, and the only person annoying enough to talk about Option III on SubChat is Chipper10.

Right now, the first stage is still under construction. It will take years, if everything goes well, for the T to materialise. So really, anything can happen once it ever materialises.

Archived