R160s coming for the (R)?

PelhamExpress6

Now, if there are 232 cars in total for the R160A order, and 64 will go to ENY, you will have 168 cars for CIY.

And the 4 car sets will be CBTC ready. I'm guessing they will go to the L, instead of the J. Maybe some of the L's R160s can go the J to remove the R42s.

Correct, Thats why they are doing that.

I highly doubt it was in service if you saw it.

On one occurrence it was testing. However, on another occurrence there were rumours reporting that it was in service. But by the numbers given, they were sets from Coney Island, not from Jamaica. It was a service disruption on the N, IIRC, that caused it to happen.

Straphangers can tell the difference between different car classes, but not the specific name. I think telling a New Technology Train from an old SMEE train is pretty darn obvious.

____

That is true, but the condition of the train does matter to an extent of passenger happiness. You wouldn't want to be riding on a train full of bums and disgusting stuff on the seats with a stench.

No you don't, trains that stay below ground tend to attract homeless, like the E and R.

I think the classes of the trains people identify are R32/R38 due to their outer appearance and having the flip dot signs.

R40M/R42 and slants as having the color sign in front and the interior of older cars, but not quite as old as the R32/R38.

R44/R46/R68 due to their size and interior configurations.

R143/R160, the NTTs.

For the A division the differences are obvious.

Now, the revenue types they won't know or care that much about.

But, here's the thing. Passengers will notice when one line gets new cars and another does not. Passengers on the 2 and 5 that were in Brooklyn and Manhattan where trains share stations certainly noticed they were getting the old trains when the red birds where in service vs. the newer trains on the 1, 3 on the West side and 4 and 6 on the East side. The same is true in Queens, for years the passengers noticed the newer R46 on the R and F and G while the E ran the old R32s (post 1989 when the R46s were removed from the E). And if the lines are fairly comparable in ridership, and if it goes on for awhile, passengers inevitably are going to think we are paying the same fares, why can't we get the nicer trains. And I think it is a reasonable expectation to think when the new equipment arrives that those lines that used the older equipment would get the new equipment to replace what has been servicing their lines. In the E's case it was very good that the MTA went ahead and put the R160s on the line because if the E still ran R32s and R40M/R42s while the F started to become filled up with R160s, I think the ridership would have been angry and voice disgust that the older equipment on the E was not being replaced while the not new but newer equipment on the F was. I've even read on forums people on the Q and N stating that they had fairly new trains and were surprised that the NTTs on their lines were not going to the A and E lines.

I think the priorities are safety, headway, trains arriving reasonably on time to destinations, transfers, crowding, train cleanliness, the temperature inside the train, and train comfort (perceiving the newer equipment as more comfortable and more pleasant to ride in) is a middling priority. I do think it is something people care about on some level.

Keep the thread on topic with the (R) getting R160s. This goes especially for you FlushingExpress.

Ok then, let's make this short and sweet. The (R) will not be seeing any 160's until the (E) and (F) are 100% R160's and the (R) and (V) crews are all qualified on the new stuff, which is currently not the case.

Ok, is it me, or people keep picking at this and bringing it back. FE didn't go into extremes or anything, in fact others said the same as what he said without rebuke.

He always goes into the same ol' rants. We get it, he hates the trains but what does it have to do with the (R) getting the R160.

He always goes into the same ol' rants. We get it, he hates the trains but what does it have to do with the (R) getting the R160.

i did not start this rant or anything. R32 3838 did by saying that (E) riders hate the R42s and i just said i agree with him. to go back on topic, my opinion is that R160s will NOT go on the (R) because there will not be enough since they will be 100% on the (E)(F)(J)(M)(N)(Q)(W)(Z), (MTA) has no intentions of making the Broadway Line fully R160s, and Coney Island and ENY still need some of those cars.

i did not start this rant or anything. R32 3838 did by saying that (E) riders hate the R42s and i just said i agree with him. to go back on topic, my opinion is that R160s will NOT go on the (R) because there will not be enough since they will be 100% on the (E)(F)(J)(M)(N)(Q)(W)(Z), (MTA) has no intentions of making the Broadway Line fully R160s, and Coney Island and ENY still need some of those cars.

The Coney Island order is complete IIRC.

but the (Q)(W) are still not 100% R160s. they still need their fair share. if Jamaica is going to get the remainder of the five-car R160s, then that means the (R) and (V) will get those cars and it will stop housing R46s.
No. The R would become entirely R46 as the last R32s from Jamaica goes to 207th. Jamaica would as usual wear down the old cars, which would be the R46s on the R and V just as how they treated the R32s.

No. The R would become entirely R46 as the last R32s from Jamaica goes to 207th. Jamaica would as usual wear down the old cars, which would be the R46s on the R and V just as how they treated the R32s.

then what everyone is saying about Coney Island not receiving anymore R160s does not make sense.

If they do end up cutting the W that is...

Also, It is not particularly unlikely that the G will end up using R160s.

The MTA has not committed to making the N/Q/W entirely R160. R68s will likely continue to show up on those lines.

The G would most likely use the 200 R68As, not the R160s.

The G would most likely use the 200 R68As, not the R160s.

The R and G currently get cars from Jamaica, right? So, the G is getting cars from CI in the future? Is that why it would use R68s? Well, I have an opinion on this but that's another thread.

Both G and R have tested R160s, so I guess it is the route that is being tested since neither line's crew is currently being qualified for them.

If the (R) uses R160A/B cars, the BMT Broadway Line (N)(Q)(R)(W), will join BMT Nassau Street (J)(M)(Z), and IRT Lexington Avenue (4)(5)(6), and (2)(5) (Bronx, and Brooklyn) as the multiple-route line for every subway route to use New Technology trains. What a distinction. Forgive me if I might have posted incorrect information.

There's the puzzling aspect to Queens riders, especially those that ride the (E). If the whole reason for R32s for so many years on the (E) was due to doors and dwell times, a legitimate enough argument, then why does the line with the oldest trains in the system for so many years and the highest ridership NOT get the R160s first? The (E) Supt is right. They should have never been slated for the (F) first. That made no sense. If the new trains were 75 feet, that would be one thing. But they are 60 feet with 40 doors per side. That's exactly what the (E) needs.

Putting them on the (E) first was the smartest thing the (MTA) did. Taking them off the (E) for any other line that does not crowd as much defies logic. The (F) can use them for sure, and there's the whole thing with the (A) and retiring slants, but, compromising both the (E) and (F) while running your second most reliable cars, the R46, on the (V), a line that hardly anyone uses, is not logical, sensible, and I'm kinda tired of the (E) passengers being compromised. The (E) is way overdue for updated, upgraded equipment (even though I'm not the biggest R160 fan) and placing some of the R160s in Jamaica on the (F) delays it while the (E) runs mostly problematic R40M/R42s.

Remember, the reason they were going to be on the (F) first, was because it was going to be borrowing from CIY's fleet, whose yard it goes near. This to allow retirement of cars while waiting for the next batch of 160's. By the time this was to begin, The first Jamaica assigned cars were arriving, so then the idea was scrapped, and the JYD cars went into service on the (E).

Archived