Remember the R32 on the (B)?

R10 2952

A while back, I remember, about 2 or 3 years ago (2006/2007), there was a lone set of R-32s running on the (;) for 2 or 3 weeks. A couple of pictures of it eventually surfaced on nycsubway.org, and I myself even rode it once from 81st St to 145 St. For what reason did (NYCT) do this, if for any reason at all? It was almost as strange as R40/R42s on the (C). It didn't seem to make much sense. WHY?:confused:

I caught it like twice when it ran. Was really cool riding an R32 On the Brighton Express again. Last time I did it, I was probably like 4 or 5 when the (Q) used them in the late 80s (pre-GOH-Blue doors and all:tup::cool:)

Heres the only 2 shots of the R32 (;) I have:

The rollsign was taken from my cell phone back in the Summer of 2007:

R32B_Train.jpg

R32 (B) Layup/This shot was taken on: May 23, 2007

img_66317.jpg

Zach

Does any one remeber when some R38's ran on the (;) back in 1998-1999? I forget the reason for it, but I did ride them home a few times from Jackie Gleason.

I remember a set of 38s on the (Q6) back in the mid 90s. I saw it headed to QueensBridge at Herald Square-34 St.

the (Q6) used R32s for a brief time in late 1997 and early 1998 before they were moved to the (N). the (Q) was entirely R32s after 9/11 and used them as well during the second half of 2004. remember, metatops, it was when you and i were classmates at lincoln. when i saw the R32 (;) two years ago during my senior year at Murrow, i freaked out. i got a picture of that i took towards the end of that year on my facebook. sadly, that would be the last time i would see an R32 (B). as more R160s went to Coney Island that summer, all the R32s there were moved to Jamaica to retire their GE brothers while the Coney Island R42s were sent directly to the ocean.

the (Q6) used R32s for a brief time in late 1997 and early 1998 before they were moved to the (N). the (Q) was entirely R32s after 9/11 and used them as well during the second half of 2004. remember, metatops, it was when you and i were classmates at lincoln. when i saw the R32 (;) two years ago during my senior year at Murrow, i freaked out. i got a picture of that i took towards the end of that year on my facebook. sadly, that would be the last time i would see an R32 (B). as more R160s went to Coney Island that summer, all the R32s there were moved to Jamaica to retire their GE brothers while the Coney Island R42s were sent directly to the ocean.

The (Q) was not entirely R32 post 9-11. R68s were used as well..

Does any one remeber when some R38's ran on the (;) back in 1998-1999? I forget the reason for it, but I did ride them home a few times from Jackie Gleason.

I rerember that, They took them out of the 207th st yard for (B) service, There is a Pic of it in the 207th st yard, I rode it on a Friday Morning when I was 7 years old:

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?6178

This was taken in 2001 in the 207th st barn

But I did rerember that and seeing an R32 (B) back in 1997 at 21st st , I rode that also, But when I saw it again in 2007 I got right on, I thogut it was a rerouted (F) But when I was at atlantic It was a (B)

Not to be off topic but before the slants became a fixture on the (B)in mid-1980's when the (;) used to run on the West End line, it ran mostly with R32's.

Also anybody has watched the old tv 1970's show 'Welcome back kotter?" Starring a young teen las named John Travolvita? Here the link as the R32 passes by the Brooklyn HS (named Buckan)it was portrtaited in the show in show opening scene/theme song.

What you think? :tup:

Forgot to add in scenes of old GMC fishbowl buses too lol.

In the mid 1990s, R32s were on the B fairly regularly. They came back in the mid 2000s, but never quite as regularly. R32s showed up on the F and G too back in the mid 1990s, eventually winding up on the R, before they were officially assigned to the F in 2001

Two other interesting assignments come to mind(both, to some extent, mentioned in this thread).

During the Williamsburg Bridge closure of 1997-1998 some R42s were transferred to Coney island to be used on the <M> and Nassau Shuttle. During this time, they would occasionally show up on the Q, along with R32s.

During switch replacement at WTC in 1999 or 2000, the R38 fleet was assigned to the B and E. R40Ss also showed up on the B with more regularity than they did since the B/Q fleetswap in 1997.

In the mid 1990s, R32s were on the B fairly regularly. They came back in the mid 2000s, but never quite as regularly. R32s showed up on the F and G too back in the mid 1990s, eventually winding up on the R, before they were officially assigned to the F in 2001

Two other interesting assignments come to mind(both, to some extent, mentioned in this thread).

During the Williamsburg Bridge closure of 1997-1998 some R42s were transferred to Coney island to be used on the <M> and Nassau Shuttle. During this time, they would occasionally show up on the Q, along with R32s.

During switch replacement at WTC in 1999 or 2000, the R38 fleet was assigned to the B and E. R40Ss also showed up on the B with more regularity than they did since the B/Q fleetswap in 1997.

I rerember Riding an R38 (E) train in 1998 as well as an R38 (B) train.

Wow no mention of the youtube video i placed. or comments on 1970's/early 80's R32 (B) Train. I Guess the age gap is a big issue on these boards as the old man riding NYC subways before most of you were born lol.:cry:(being trurthful)

HR, I'm one of the middle-aged folks here. I remember the R38 debut on the F and the R32s on the B and pointing out to people the differences between them. Interesting that the R32 has outlived the R38.

The B. Never could quite figure it out. Didn't it terminate at 57th street at one time? And I think it would go up CPW during rush hours. Ran lots of R32s, but I remember the R32s with the blue doors, how they were originally. Not air-conditioned, oh, maybe one or two cars here and there. A Brighton train for sure, went to Coney Island. R32s are and will always be Brighton trains to me. Brightliners for sure.

So, the post-GOH R32 Bs. Yep, remember them. Not recently though. When is the last time an R32 ran on the B? Are there any R32s that go into service from CI yard anymore?

When is the last time an R32 ran on the B? Are there any R32s that go into service from CI yard anymore?

Actually, only a couple of years ago. There are pics on nycsubway.org, but I'm not going to go look for them now.

And there are no R32s in CI AFAIK.

The B. Never could quite figure it out. Didn't it terminate at 57th street at one time? And I think it would go up CPW during rush hours.

There were two types of (B)s back then. The yellow (B) would run to 57th along with the (Q), whereas the (B) would go up to 145 or Bedford Park Blvd.

I remember a set of 38s on the (Q6) back in the mid 90s. I saw it headed to QueensBridge at Herald Square-34 St.

speaking of R38's on the (Q6) remember back in the early 90's there was a big problem on 8th ave with asbestos so they were running (Q6)'s from Brighton beach to 207th st i had to cut school a couple times during that time i had to ride it for myself i had went back & forth, but not only that, for the 1st time they had R38's running on the (Q) sent over from the (A)

Archived