Remember the R32 on the (B)?

R10 2952

HR, I'm one of the middle-aged folks here. I remember the R38 debut on the F and the R32s on the B and pointing out to people the differences between them. Interesting that the R32 has outlived the R38.

The B. Never could quite figure it out. Didn't it terminate at 57th street at one time? And I think it would go up CPW during rush hours. Ran lots of R32s, but I remember the R32s with the blue doors, how they were originally. Not air-conditioned, oh, maybe one or two cars here and there. A Brighton train for sure, went to Coney Island. R32s are and will always be Brighton trains to me. Brightliners for sure.

So, the post-GOH R32 Bs. Yep, remember them. Not recently though. When is the last time an R32 ran on the B? Are there any R32s that go into service from CI yard anymore?

I could be wrong Mr./Ms. Smith(i was born in 1972:tup:)but generally from 1976-1986 after the oringal Nassau St (K) line was canned this was the (B) West End line primary pattern.

I believe the (B) ran from 57thSt/6th-Coney Island daily 6am-1am while during rush hours additional (B)'s also ran to/from 168th & Broadway as the CPW Local. Late Nights the (B) ran '2' separte shuttles one between 57th St/6th Ave and 2nd Ave/Houston. While the other ran between 36th St/4th Ave in Sunset Park and Stillwell Ave. IMO the MTA should have just ran the (B) 24/7 the full length between 57th and Stillwell even during the post budget crisis maybe with 30-minute headways since you already were runing trains.

After 1986-early 2004 the West End line became confusing due to the Manhattan Bridge rebuliding project. You needed a score card to keep up with the changes lol. Basically the (B) or in later years the (W)ran as one of two routes during the Manny Bridge detour. When it ran on 6th Avenue the (B) primarily ran to 168th-Broadway and Stillwell on weekdays and to/from 21st-Queensbridge & Coney Island via then new 63rd St Tunnel weekends.

While if the West End ran on the Broadway line, the yellow (B) later aka as the (W) ran mostly between Ditmars Blvd Astoria and Stillwell.

And yes i remember the 'blue doors' on both the R-32's and R-38's for most of the 80's until the GOH around 1989-90. For short time before the R32's/38's gOH's those same fleets also had their doors and interior colors painted 'red' similar to the Redbirds on the IRT. Oh yes the memories lol.B)

1/2007. that's pretty recent.

I wanted to show an original R32 B, and I found one with the 57th St. terminus. Just gives perspective how long these cars have been around and that the B was one of the original Brighton lines to have them. That train is only 6 years in service in that picture. I think they debuted on the N and the D was next. Not sure when the B got them, but they were definitely zooming along the Brighton Express lines.

(B)

Does any one remeber when some R38's ran on the (B) back in 1998-1999? I forget the reason for it, but I did ride them home a few times from Jackie Gleason.
They were shooting a movie on the B,which needed the R38s. Also, that was the time when the A used R68As in revenue service. I forgot what movie that was though.

1/2007. that's pretty recent.

I wanted to show an original R32 B, and I found one with the 57th St. terminus. Just gives perspective how long these cars have been around and that the B was one of the original Brighton lines to have them. That train is only 6 years in service in that picture. I think they debuted on the N and the D was next. Not sure when the B got them, but they were definitely zooming along the Brighton Express lines.

(B)

love to see a 1970's era R32/38 or R42 train Mr. Smith.

explain this:

"1/2007. that's pretty recent.

I wanted to show an original R32 B, and I found one with the 57th St. terminus. Just gives perspective how long these cars have been around and that the B was one of the original Brighton lines to have them. That train is only 6 years in service in that picture. I think they debuted on the N and the D was next. Not sure when the B got them, but they were definitely zooming along the Brighton Express lines."

explain this:

"1/2007. that's pretty recent.

I wanted to show an original R32 B, and I found one with the 57th St. terminus. Just gives perspective how long these cars have been around and that the B was one of the original Brighton lines to have them. That train is only 6 years in service in that picture. I think they debuted on the N and the D was next. Not sure when the B got them, but they were definitely zooming along the Brighton Express lines."

Yes, when I posted the link to the B train from 1970, you gave links to recent pics. The thread is, remember the R32 on the B. Hudson River mentioned the ages of the posters recalling R32s from the 1990s, how he remember them from earlier than this, and I mentioned how I remember them from the 1970s. R32s have been on the B for almost as long as they've been in service.

R32's literally hauled major ass on the 6th Avenue Express. It puts the Slants to shame. I caught an R32 on the (:) on February 16th, 2007. The car numbers in question are 3790 and 3692. Caught it at 34th Street.

I saw the set at Tremont Avenue on the middle track, in January of that year. It was running light southbound.

I caught it like twice when it ran. Was really cool riding an R32 On the Brighton Express again. Last time I did it, I was probably like 4 or 5 when the (Q) used them in the late 80s (pre-GOH-Blue doors and all:tup::cool:)

Heres the only 2 shots of the R32 (B) I have:

The rollsign was taken from my cell phone back in the Summer of 2007:

R32B_Train.jpg

R32 (B) Layup/This shot was taken on: May 23, 2007

img_66317.jpg

Zach

OH YEAH I REMEMBER WHEN THE R32s WERE RUNNING ON THE (B)TRAIN I RODE ON ONE FROM 81st Street to 145th Street IT'S JUST STRANGE TO SEE THE R32s ON THE (B)TRAIN WHICH AT THE TIME THEY NEVER RAN ON THE B LINE THEY WERE USAULLY RUNNING ON THE E LINE AND THE F LINE AND THE PHASE 1 CARS ARE BASED ON THE JAMAICA YARDS WHICH SERVES THE (E)(F)(G)(R)(V) LINES AND THE PHASE 2 CARS ARE BASED ON THE 207th STREET /PITKIN YARDS WHICH SERVES THE A,C LINES IT'S REALLY STRANGE TO SEE THE R32s ON THE (B)

OH YEAH I REMEMBER WHEN THE R32s WERE RUNNING ON THE (B)TRAIN I RODE ON ONE FROM 81st Street to 145th Street IT'S JUST STRANGE TO SEE THE R32s ON THE (B)TRAIN WHICH AT THE TIME THEY NEVER RAN ON THE B LINE THEY WERE USAULLY RUNNING ON THE E LINE AND THE F LINE AND THE PHASE 1 CARS ARE BASED ON THE JAMAICA YARDS WHICH SERVES THE (E)(F)(G)(R)(V) LINES AND THE PHASE 2 CARS ARE BASED ON THE 207th STREET /PITKIN YARDS WHICH SERVES THE A,C LINES IT'S REALLY STRANGE TO SEE THE R32s ON THE (B)

Please don't use caps!

If I remember correctly, all Phase IIs were at Jamaica while the Phase Is were and are currently at Pitkin. There was an overflow of Phase Is and some went to CI for the N train. The GEs were scattered; sometimes at Jamica, while other times at Pitkin.

In the mid 1990s, R32s were on the B fairly regularly. They came back in the mid 2000s, but never quite as regularly. R32s showed up on the F and G too back in the mid 1990s, eventually winding up on the R, before they were officially assigned to the F in 2001

Two other interesting assignments come to mind(both, to some extent, mentioned in this thread).

During the Williamsburg Bridge closure of 1997-1998 some R42s were transferred to Coney island to be used on the <M> and Nassau Shuttle. During this time, they would occasionally show up on the Q, along with R32s.

During switch replacement at WTC in 1999 or 2000, the R38 fleet was assigned to the B and E. R40Ss also showed up on the B with more regularity than they did since the B/Q fleetswap in 1997.

So the R-38 DID run on the (E)... For many years now, I've always had this strange feeling in the back of my mind that I had seen a set of R-38s at the (E) train platform at WTC many years ago. I had always thought that it must have been the Chambers Street (A)/© platform, but I guess that it really WAS an R-38 (E)... Amazing. (E)

So the R-38 DID run on the (E)... For many years now, I've always had this strange feeling in the back of my mind that I had seen a set of R-38s at the (E) train platform at WTC many years ago. I had always thought that it must have been the Chambers Street (A)/© platform, but I guess that it really WAS an R-38 (E)... Amazing. (E)

R38s were based out of Jamaica for a time.

Archived