Crews qualifying and training

BSmith

How does this work? For the R160, do crews train on simulators or actual test trains? Is it very different to operate an R32 vs. R42? An R46 vs. R68? Say R68s were to appear on the A, would the crew need training for them? I'm assuming R44 and R46 are very similar to operate since the A picked the R46 up a few weeks ago with no problem.

How long does a T/O stay with a line? Conductor? Can a Q operator operate an N? When there are GOs trains are often rerouted, so I would assume it is follow the signals. What about going from A division to B division? Can an operator of an R142 operate an R160?

Overall, generally, how does crew qualification work and how big are the variations in the rolling stock from car generation to generation?

The crews go must ride the whole division they are to work on at the head end.

There is quite a bit of variation between NTT's, R68's, and the rest of the fleet.

My question: Do T/O's have to qualify like those of heavy rail systems (memorize location of every speed limit, switch, track number, station, etc.)?

How does this work? For the R160, do crews train on simulators or actual test trains? Is it very different to operate an R32 vs. R42? An R46 vs. R68? Say R68s were to appear on the A, would the crew need training for them? I'm assuming R44 and R46 are very similar to operate since the A picked the R46 up a few weeks ago with no problem.

How long does a T/O stay with a line? Conductor? Can a Q operator operate an N? When there are GOs trains are often rerouted, so I would assume it is follow the signals. What about going from A division to B division? Can an operator of an R142 operate an R160?

Overall, generally, how does crew qualification work and how big are the variations in the rolling stock from car generation to generation?

How long you work with someone depends on the job, when you pick, At the beginning you will work with different C/R's most of the time. As for the equipment, you will learn them all, and all the lines in your division. They do have a simulator, but they really don't take it that serious with you operating that. You better learn to operate the real thing.

They have trained us A Div T/O's on the R160 simulator, as the R188 is suppose to be the same as the R160 (but smaller). As for GOs and reroutes, that is why you read them, take nots, and know where you suppose to go, and what signal number, to get what aspect, for your route.....

My question: Do T/O's have to qualify like those of heavy rail systems (memorize location of every speed limit, switch, track number, station, etc.)?

To an extent, yes. They guilt us into it by saying, "it's a $70,000 a year job, and you should know everything about this system for that kind of pay", etc. I haven't seen $70,000 yet, so they kiss my ashy semi flat milk duds that follow me around, until I see $70,000..........

To an extent, yes. They guilt us into it by saying, "it's a $70,000 a year job, and you should know everything about this system for that kind of pay", etc. I haven't seen $70,000 yet, so they kiss my ashy semi flat milk duds that follow me around, until I see $70,000..........

To what extent?

To what extent?

Need to know speed limits, and doing a line over and over you start to remember. Knowing your routes, and switches. A good T/O knows how to also read the rails, not just the line-up on the home ball. You can have the correct lineup on the home ball, but the wrong lineup on the rails. Stations, you should know, so you know the fast stations, and stations where wheel greaser are, etc.....

I'll try to answer your questions.

>>>>For the R160, do crews train on simulators or actual test trains?

Both, but primarily on the real stuff.

>>>>Is it very different to operate an R32 vs. R42?

Operation wise, the two main differences are that 42's have door enablers and the 42 #1 cabs have no C/R controls.

>>>>An R46 vs. R68?

Definitely a difference between the two, mainly with the master controller and the braking.

>>>>Say R68s were to appear on the A, would the crew need training for them?

Only if the T/O or C/R had never, ever operated an R68. In other words, highly unlikely.

>>>>How long does a T/O stay with a line?

If the T/O has the seniority, he/she can stay with a particular line up until his/her retirement if that's what he/she wants.

>>>>Can a Q operator operate an N?

Sure, if they want to.

>>>>What about going from A division to B division?

One is eligible to do so once every six months.

>>>>Can an operator of an R142 operate an R160?

Only if the operator has specifically been qualified on 160's, If not, then the answer is no. An operator who is qualified on 143's cannot operate an R160 until he/she has actually been qualified on it.

>>>>...how does crew qualification work and how big are the variations in the rolling stock from car generation to generation?

Crew qualification is six months for B div., three and a half-ish for A div. Transfer classes are about one-third of that. In the B, there are four types of stock: SMEE, R44, R46 and NTT. Each one has its unique idiosynchrasies.

Archived