(F) Train announcer on the R160A

mark1447

It could happen on the (3) once the R188 comes in, lots of switch overs on the IRT lines. I hope to 62A on my (2)(5) one day.

I dunno if the R188 would mark the retirement for the R62

No, the R188 is only an adjustment of the R142 or R142A to be used specifically for the 7.

No, the R188 is only an adjustment of the R142 or R142A to be used specifically for the 7.

Some R142s but i think 512 R188s will be ordered.

Anyway, yeah, the (F) announcements get on my nerves. I dont know why. They make me not want to ride the (F). On every Line that got R160s, this is the first time this has happened. Usually i'm exited to catch a new train on a line but when i catch one on the (F), im like, okay fine hurry up, get me to Delance or Stillwell.

Some R142s but i think 512 R188s will be ordered.

Anyway, yeah, the (F) announcements get on my nerves. I dont know why. They make me not want to ride the (F). On every Line that got R160s, this is the first time this has happened. Usually i'm exited to catch a new train on a line but when i catch one on the (F), im like, okay fine hurry up, get me to Delance or Stillwell.

I don't find those announcements bothering. In the perspective of the average commuter, those announcements are needed. The average passengers are informed what the next stop is, what trains they could connect to etc... While some of the OTT announcements can be detailed, many of them are abbreviated or hard to hear.

Here are two quick tidbits on the 160's:

1. The 160's do have a (:P & (D) reading to Jamaica-179

2. There was an AMNY article about the people who do the automated announcments on the 160's.

That was in 2006, I think. One of them made two recordings for Van Wyck. The article listed all the lines that will get the cars, as expected then.

Are you guys sure it is Dianne Thompsan be cause it really dosn't sound like her voice. I thought Dianne Thopsam did the announcements for the (1)(2)(3)(7) and (E)?

Are you guys sure it is Dianne Thompsan be cause it really dosn't sound like her voice. I thought Dianne Thopsam did the announcements for the (1)(2)(3)(7) and (E)?

Yes its really her....the (1)(3) and (7) have R-62A's and R-62's. The (E) announcements are done by Catherine Cowdery. You may hear Dianne's transfer announcements on the (E)...for example:

Catherine Cowdery" This is World Trade Center, transfer is available to the (2)(3)(A) and (C) trains Dianne Thompson: connection is available to PATH"!

Yes its really her....the (1)(3) and (7) have R-62A's and R-62's. The (E) announcements are done by Catherine Cowdery. You may hear Dianne's transfer announcements on the (E)...for example:

Catherine Cowdery" This is World Trade Center, transfer is available to the (2)(3)(A) and (C) trains Dianne Thompson: connection is available to PATH"!

Oh yes! I remember that one!

damn then her voice is mach deeper then the 1999/2000s version on the (1)(2)(3)

And who does the (7) then?

I'm sorry if this isn't really on topic, but I thought with the sentiments towards these announcements, how would people feel if a man (like on Metro-North) did a whole line instead of just Charlie Pellet's stand clear ones.

Would there be a preference? I see some posts about how Dianne's voice now is not as pleasant as when she did the (2) and the other 7th Av Lines because it's a bit deeper. Oh, and I like these announcements on the (F).

I think Jessica Ettiger Gottesman would have done a better job with the announcements on the (F)

I don't know... her announcements are generally fine. I really don't see much flaws in them. Besides, what does the typical passenger want? Automated announcements from Dianne Thompson or a brief and sometimes inaudible announcements made by some C/R's (no offence to any train crew member here)? This is from the perspective of a typical straphanger.

I think Jessica Ettiger Gottesman would have done a better job with the announcements on the (F)

No she won't....I don't like she sound on the (5) why b/c it sounds like she is extra loud on the (5) and she's more calm on the (4) and (6).....Melissa Kleiner was perfect on the (5) back in the early 2000's!

I'm sorry if this isn't really on topic, but I thought with the sentiments towards these announcements, how would people feel if a man (like on Metro-North) did a whole line instead of just Charlie Pellet's stand clear ones.

Would there be a preference? I see some posts about how Dianne's voice now is not as pleasant as when she did the (2) and the other 7th Av Lines because it's a bit deeper. Oh, and I like these announcements on the (F).

Agreed Ali...I like the announcements on the (F)....Dianne also sounds great on the (A) when it ran a R-160A 30 day test!

Man or woman, I don't really mind. But I agree that one person should just do the entire line.

Right on.

Well, all i have left to say is, I SHOULD DO THE ANNOUNCEMENTS. Poeple are always telling me i have that voice.

You know what? I SHOULD DO THE ANNOUNCEMENTS.

Okay, let's not get into the argument of who should do the announcements.

Gee... when the R179 order gets placed and the cars in the process of being built, I wonder who will do the announcements then.

You know what? I SHOULD DO THE ANNOUNCEMENTS.

Okay, let's not get into the argument of who should do the announcements.

Gee... when the R179 order gets placed and the cars in the process of being built, I wonder who will do the announcements then.

The MTA really needs variety in the system announcements, unlike the Subway cars nowadays. I mean, let a guy do the station announcements and a woman do the Advisements and STAND CLEAR announcements.

The MTA really needs variety in the system announcements, unlike the Subway cars nowadays. I mean, let a guy do the station announcements and a woman do the Advisements and STAND CLEAR announcements.

The announcements on the (F) and other NTT's are fine just the way they are.... we don't need anyone else voice making the announcements other than Jessica Ettinger-Gottesman, Dianne Thompson and Catherine Cowdery!

I read somewhere that people are more attentive when men give commands and women give information.

Besides, why make someone redo an announcement (and pay that person for it) when you can use the original, which works perfectly fine? (Talking about the Charlie Pellett warnings here) Keep the announcements the way they are, content excepted.

Archived